Funimation do a Manga! Bye-bye DBZ BDs!

I saw that too. Its a shame. Anyway, I suppose the imagem was upscaled since the series is too old and was not made in hd. Or did they remastered or something? What i mean is, dvd is more than enough for db.

To be fair, I'm surprised they were still planning on rereleasing it in the first place...as if Kai wasn't enough 9.9

bakum4tsu said:
I saw that too. Its a shame. Anyway, I suppose the imagem was upscaled since the series is too old and was not made in hd. Or did they remastered or something? What i mean is, dvd is more than enough for db.

DBZ was animated on film, 16mm film to be sure, but film nonetheless. There's more than enough information in a 16mm frame to get a native 1080p HD image out of. It's not an upscale.

It seems they completely understimated the cost of doing a frame by frame restoration and transfer to HD though. Normally it's the Japanese companies that do this and release the shows on Blu-ray in Japan first. Funimation were trying to break the mould and must have hit a financial black hole.

I imagine everyone is sort of fatigued after the singles, then the orange boxes, then Kai and the Dragon Boxes, and then the blu-rays. There are only so many times people can buy the definitive version of something within a short space of time before they move on, and blu-ray remasters of something like this don't exactly grab the casual buyers reliving their childhood over there.

If they let it rest for a while and let Japan do the hard work for them someday, maybe they'll revive the release in a few years.

R

Ahhhhhh damn it Funi.

I was looking forward to buying the whole series again, although I aint buying no half-season sets, so was waiting on full "levels", or whatever...

Perhaps they were hoping to recover costs by selling their HD masters back to Japan but Toei has told them to get stuffed.

::queues "Another One Bites the Dust" ready to play in about three months time::

Funi were restoring / remastering the DBZ film stock in HD at their own cost? No wonder they've suddenly decided ADV owe them 8 million bucks.

ayase said:
Funi were restoring / remastering the DBZ film stock in HD at their own cost? No wonder they've suddenly decided ADV owe them 8 million bucks.
Haha, yup, exactly. I never at any stage expected this to work, so it is not disappointing.

Joshawott said:
Dragonball Z Kai is discontinued.

As well as Ghost Train, Kodocha seasons 1 and 2, Nerima Daikon Brothers, Robotech Shadow Chronicles and Synesthesia. Includes DVDs too.

Well those sets for DBZ Kai are just discontinued for larger 26 episode sets ala Earlier One Piece Voyages which have now been collected.

It's always sad to see series go, get those sets while you still can!

Back