Funimation.com got hacked...

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
UK Anime Network has the news.

I had a quick look at my account, and all I have on there is my e-mail address and a password. No identity to steal. I tried the HPI Identity leak checker and it seems that August 2016, an account was compromised, which would tally with what the news item says, but if all they got is a password that works nowhere else, from a site that I haven't used in months, I'm not that bothered.

But you might have name, username, birth date, gender, social accounts connected, all listed on that site, in which case a little grievance might be due.

And as with all these things, finding out about it now, from one anime site, or one reddit page is too little, too late.

Have I Been Pwned is a great site. They emailed me yesterday to inform me my account was hacked. Fortunately, it wasn't my UK account, so no credit card info.

And here i was thinking it was only looking bad on my computer. Already noticed that their site was pretty much gone when updating the FUNimation thread over here on Sunday, but actually forgot to check again in the past two days.

Have no login on their website, so nothing to steal from me. Indeed always shocking when this happens and you actually have an account.

I guess maybe this is why there was a mandatory password change when the new site launched a few weeks ago. Either way, hopefully this can be picked up by more news outlets so that FUNimation can give a response.

This came to light in at least December, but there was no real fuss made about it: [Streaming] 1 & Only Funimation General News (Apps, Website,...) Thread - Page 30

this news made me switch to a password manager
Heartbleed made me switch to a password manager. That and the worry over other hacks where they told you to change your password if you used the same one on any other sites, but after them having reset it so you couldn't confirm what password you were using...

Things certainly are getting interesting with regards to this news, some of the comments on the ANN thread are particular interesting as well. I do wonder if FUNi could be in legal trouble regarding this, but I'm not entirely sure on the laws regarding security breach notifications.

Funimation's website wouldn't let me change my password. I tweeted them, to which they replied to email then. No response to that yet.

And to add injury to insult, it looks like cloudflare has been leaking data over the past few months (and of course funimation uses cloudflare to keep people out until they confirm that they aren't bots).

That's correct Swifty, just checked by connecting to an US VPN and then i can see the FUNimation website without a problem. And yes i'm from Belgium and without VPN it doesn't work.

Why FUNimation does that is beyond me, and actually plain silly.

It makes sense, according to Miles CR customers are far more upset about things other regions have and they don't than about things the site doesn't have at all. Funimation are just aggressively sidestepping that problem.

We can't really get upset at Funimation for trying to solve all the things we've complained about Crunchyroll doing.

Ah, I know they've been blocking Germany at least for a long time as someone complained about it before on an older version of the site.

Back