Funimation cherry pick releases from Geneon USA, ADV Films

Lol, all the "we love funimation" going on at ANN is funny to read. Especially as funi will probably go and release the various entire seasons again of all these various anime or just release boxsets which I am sure will annoy some of these ecstatic fans... along side some re-dubs and the such like probably. Luckily I am not half way through any of them...so I dont mind:D (I only watch completed series bar Bleach and Naruto). Note: I quite like funimation, but I see many people not in the forseeable future.

I was surprised a little bit at people not liking the idea of a major company. Everyone seems to be all negative about it and totally ignoring all the positives.

Also, Everything has to start of somewhere!

Gawyn said:
Revelation only releases FUNimation titles in the UK where they own the US and UK licence. In this instance this is a US distribution deal and rather than a sale of the licence, much like their deal with Tokyopop for some of their anime titles. I would be very surprised if the UK licence was attached to the deal, which would be up for negotiation for any of the UK companies as has been proven out with many Geneon titles over the years.
Ahh, ok then. Oh well. Thanks for explaining that.

Jayme said:
I was surprised a little bit at people not liking the idea of a major company. Everyone seems to be all negative about it and totally ignoring all the positives.
Well, it's the idea that there should be competition in capitalism to stop the companies doing what the hell they want. Honestly though I think it's hard enough trying to sell anime anyway, even without competition.

Funimation pick up 30 former ADV titles

The North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment and Japan's ARM Corporation have announced that ARM has transfered the rights to more than 30 of its titles — all previously held by A.D. Vision — to Funimation. Those rights include the home video, broadcast, digital, and merchandising rights in North America and other regions. The complete list of transferred titles is as follows:

009-1
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
Air Gear
Air movie
Air TV
Blade of the Phantom Master
Comic Party: Revolution
Coyote Ragtime Show
Devil May Cry
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor TV
Jing, King of Bandits: Seventh Heaven
Jinki:Extend
Kanon
Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora (once titled as Shattered Angels by ADV Films)
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Magikano
Moeyo Ken TV
Moonlight Mile
Murder Princess
Nerima Daikon Brothers
Pani Poni Dash!
Project Blue Earth SOS
Pumpkin Scissors
Red Garden
Sgt. Keroro 1st & 2nd
Tokyo Majin
UFO Princess Valkyrie
Utawarerumono
Venus Versus Virus
The Wallflower
Welcome to the NHK
Xenosaga
These are most of the titles that had been removed from ADV Films' catalog in January. A majority of them were relisted in ADV Films' catalog in February, only to be gradually removed for a second time. ADV Films also once planned to release Gurren Lagann, but Bandai Entertainment announced in May that it had acquired the series. 5 Centimeters Per Second is not on Funimation's list of transferred titles, but copies of ADV Films' release remain available at retailers.

The joint Funimation/ARM announcement comes the day after Funimation announced it will also manufacture and distribute select titles that Geneon Entertainment (USA) had planned to release before it ceased in-house DVD distribution. Funimation indicated that the new titles from ARM will be significant to its efforts in "social networking, the FUNimation Channel, and Internet VOD

From the press release it sounds as though Funi has rights for other countries than the US for those shows now. So unless they've done a deal or they're a special case, I think Lace's Red Garden's box and NHK might not appear here after all when due...

They're the only shows I care about as I've binged so much on anime lately that I was caught up on ADV anyway.

Hopefully Lace can get a UK deal going to at least finish off the Red Garden release or it's going to be confusing.

R

I do not fell sorrow for the utter destrution of ADV at the hands of Funimation, for they have sat on the Frog for far too long.

I think now is the right time for ADV to just cough up thier last and Keel over.

I have my Nadesico DVDs, I'm happy.

Our news post:

<p>With the Los Angeles' Anime Expo in full swing this weekend, several announcements are either forthcoming or have already been made. Worthy of note so far has been the activity of <em><strong>Funimation</strong></em>, who have managed to strike huge deals to acquire dozens of new anime series from <em><strong>Geneon USA </strong></em>and <em><strong>ADV Films</strong></em>.</p>
<ol>
<li><a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/funimation-picks-up-over-30-former-ad-vision-titles">Funimation's deal with the Sojitz Corporation</a> is of vital importance to our readers as not only does it affect the US industry, but the UK industry too. Essentially, the Sojitz Corporation, which had previously intended to release these anime series worldwide with ADV Films, has instead transferred them to Funimation. These 30+ anime series (<a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?p=181885#181885">a full list can be found on our forums</a>) includes the likes of Coyote Ragtime Show, Devil May Cry, Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor TV, Kanon, Utawarerumono and Welcome to the NHK. Many of the series on this list have been already\are partially released in the UK by ADV Films, and it remains to be seen how they will be dealt with in the future.</li>
<br>
<li>All of this follows-on from last night's announcement that <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-03/funimation-agrees-to-distribute-select-geneon-titles">Funimation will be taking on rights</a> to &quot;manufacture, sell, and distribute&quot; many of the most popular anime series from anime license holder and former publisher Geneon USA in North America. This deal includes the likes of Ergo Proxy, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Also, it should be noted that this probably won't affect the UK industry as much, as Funimation's control of these series extends only to North America.</li>
</ol>

*Worships Funi* I think I should pay for the comments in the past where I've said I didn't enjoy their V.A.s as much as ADV... Maybe I should loose an eye and be forced to wear a heart-shaped eye-patch. :lol:

Much relief and anticipation for their releases, like the 2 Ryo mentioned, plus Black Lagoon/2nd Barrage, Hellsing Ult. and Fate/Stay Night. It's Easter for Anime.

God knows what this means for ADV over here. I'd have to guess that this deal probably screws them over big time, but I guess it's just a case of 'wait and see'.

Well ADV doesn't exist here anymore. It's Lace Distribution. I can see a quick bit of renegotiating taking place to keep the status quo. After all while Revelation may be Funimation's outlet in the UK, they hardly have the marketplace clout that Funimation do in the US, I doubt they have the capacity for ADV titles.

Just Passing Through said:
Well ADV doesn't exist here anymore. It's Lace Distribution. I can see a quick bit of renegotiating taking place to keep the status quo. After all while Revelation may be Funimation's outlet in the UK, they hardly have the marketplace clout that Funimation do in the US, I doubt they have the capacity for ADV titles.

There is no reason for Funimation to help out one of Revelation's competitors though, right? To be honest, I doubt it's even Funimation's decision, they probably have a strict policy dictated by their parent company, Navarre, to push all of their releases over here through 'official' channels, hence the forced switch over from MVM to Revelation when Navarre took control of Funimation. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens. Anyway, as there has been no official word on how this all effects the UK side of things, this might all amount to nothing.

Back