Funimation and Crunchyroll Working Together

I just hope this works in the UK's favour. It does look to be so far but we haven't got the full picture, so it's a bit of a wait and see situation...
Being fond of avians, I think I can outline my views through the following analogy:
Imagine being a pigeon, reliant on catching scraps of food that are accidentally dropped by people passing by. On one day, it transpires that two notably large people are going to start walking around in tandem, potentially consolidating the scraps deposited. The pigeon can only guess whether this means a greater or lower net amount of scraps to scavenge upon.

This is certainly interesting and, for the most part, positive news. I feel a bit cynical when reading through Funi's very noble-sounding statements about the partnership being for the fans (which likely is true to a degree, just not nearly as much as they boast it to be) but hey, I'm not going to slander them for making a move that benefits me! I only recently started forking over cash to Funimation to expand my simulcast choices and this partnership helps simplify my queue and finances. =D

Going forward, I'm just curious to see how others within the market will react to Funi stepping back from subtitled streaming. With such a big name opponent off the grid (more or less), will Crunchyroll's dominance deter them from trying to compete or instead encourage new players to enter the mix? Admittedly I'm happier having to pay only one anime service for what I want, but I'll always welcome new competition if it spurrs CR on to keep improving customer experiences.

Speaking of FunimationNow subs, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing the email being sent out to North American subscribers. Looks like they'll be offering us roughly two months free of their revamped service:

image.png

(Ignore my 14000+ unread emails. I get a lot of spam. >> <<)

Last edited:
And this would be the prefect excuse for AL to get Bebop out of Aniplex and Viewster's dread claws and Psycho Pass (Did they get the rights? I Could have swon they did) into CR's right?

Aye Fun it is.

Good going Andrew, doing everyone a proud there.

Having been away, I've only just caught wind of this now. It's intriguing and, in theory, it's a good thing, but I'll be a lot more enthusiastic once we start seeing more UK-centric results. It would be nice to see some of Funi's vast back catalogue available through CR, but I won't hold my breath.

For now, I would be satisfied if we can get Drifters on CR so that I don't have to subscribe to FuniNow.

Just got the note about the UK side of things being taken down to a rather cool £5 a month.

I'm sort of confused as to how this is going to work though.

From what I get it's basically CR is going to be where you watch the shows day and date subbed and Funi is where a select few get dubbed along side their dubbed archive (YYH and FT, Rescues like Chobits and their old stock like Seto No Hanayome) and in return CR will get Funi's Sub only library?

It kinda strikes me dumb that Funi wouldn't just have their entire catalouge on CR given that they already have the infostructure just there and, a little more to the point, fully availaible on all platforms upto and including Apple TV which Funi's been dragging their knuckles over.

I think Funi want to become THE team for English anime dubs while CR really don't care for Dubs (I imagine the view numbers for dubs aren't great) so they both get to focus on their main strong points without having to compete with each other.

Just got the note about the UK side of things being taken down to a rather cool £5 a month.

I'm sort of confused as to how this is going to work though.

From what I get it's basically CR is going to be where you watch the shows day and date subbed and Funi is where a select few get dubbed along side their dubbed archive (YYH and FT, Rescues like Chobits and their old stock like Seto No Hanayome) and in return CR will get Funi's Sub only library?

It kinda strikes me dumb that Funi wouldn't just have their entire catalouge on CR given that they already have the infostructure just there and, a little more to the point, fully availaible on all platforms upto and including Apple TV which Funi's been dragging their knuckles over.

The Irish side is now €5.99 instead of €7.99 for the all access, plus the email I received said I will not be billed again until November 7th. This is good as I was going to cancel my Funi sub at my renewal date, I will now do so on Nov 6th.

I have to admit, from a selfish point of view, the thing about the dubs is totally a big plus - as it means more shows are more likely to get Funi dubs - saving them from the prospect of poor Sentai dubs or, even worse, no dub at all (which seems to be fast becoming the norm for Sentai licenses).

Not to say all Funi dubs are good - there aren't too many these days that match the quality of their heydey, and some of the broadcast dub ones noticeably use mainly just new VAs.

It's funny really, as a lot of the older Sentai dubs were really great - Clannad, Infinite Stratos etc. - basically any of the ones that used all the old ADV/Funi VAs.

Oh man, yeah, the Outbreak Company dub was a stinker. I seem to remember the Beyond the Boundary one being pretty bad too.

I have to admit, while I'm sure there's fault with the dub scripts too, my preference for dubs just lies with the old familiar actors.

I really don't care about the vintage of the actors (after all, a lot of new age va are old hands at the fan parody / Abridged game so they have exp) my main concern is the voice director not being a twit.

The Irish side is now €5.99 instead of €7.99 for the all access, plus the email I received said I will not be billed again until November 7th. This is good as I was going to cancel my Funi sub at my renewal date, I will now do so on Nov 6th.

Just want to let people know to check the charges on their card/account as I just noticed that I was charged for this months Funimation subscription despite my plan being stated as free on the website and receiving the email stating that I would not be charged until November 7th.

Does anyone know if Funi are any closer to getting their PS4 player up and running?I cancelled my Funi sub recently as I've watched most of the catalogue shows I wanted to see / and as I watch most new stuff first on CR, the broadcast dubs have limited appeal to me.

A PS4 app would probably tempt me back though.

Back