Funimation acquire Afro Samurai

Paul said:
I don't mind American money funding anime projects, like how ADV co-produced Kino's Journey but things start to go a little funny when the Japanese lose creative control. It's like OEL manga really; the West has yet to capture the spirit of anime, more just copying the technical drawing styles.

TEEN TITANS! GO!

:mrgreen:

Mangaminx said:
Ramen89 said:
The series is produced by Japanese animation powerhouse GONZO, but will be released in the US before Japan. Hollywood actor Samuel L Jackson will be playing the lead character "Afro".

Thats enough right there to make me steer well clear of it :lol:

I feel the same way really, part of me hopes it bombs so American culture dosen't influence anime to much in the future.
The hell are you talking about? Afro Samurai is based on a self-published manga by a Japanese author, there's no major American influence. Same goes for Champloo.

Besides, American influences on anime are nothing new. Osamu Tezuka, the God Of Manga, was heavily influenced by very early Disney cartoons. Anime's been influenced by American culture since it's inception, and all the elitist fans who're complaining about the diversification of influences for anime - surely that's more good than bad? - are starting to get on my nerves. It's like the stupid double-standard that a lot of fan srtists have - for some reason it's fine for them to draw anime/manga-style illustrations, but God forbid a professional American character designer should do the same.

Why should Japanese anime creators listen more to Western fans than open themselves up to new ideas from Western artforms?

aniki said:
Mangaminx said:
Ramen89 said:
The series is produced by Japanese animation powerhouse GONZO, but will be released in the US before Japan. Hollywood actor Samuel L Jackson will be playing the lead character "Afro".

I feel the same way really, part of me hopes it bombs so American culture dosen't influence anime to much in the future.
The hell are you talking about? Afro Samurai is based on a self-published manga by a Japanese author, there's no major American influence. Same goes for Champloo.

Besides, American influences on anime are nothing new. Osamu Tezuka, the God Of Manga, was heavily influenced by very early Disney cartoons. Anime's been influenced by American culture since it's inception, and all the elitist fans who're complaining about the diversification of influences for anime - surely that's more good than bad? - are starting to get on my nerves. It's like the stupid double-standard that a lot of fan srtists have - for some reason it's fine for them to draw anime/manga-style illustrations, but God forbid a professional American character designer should do the same.

Why should Japanese anime creators listen more to Western fans than open themselves up to new ideas from Western artforms?

No need to get nasty.

aniki said:
Mangaminx said:
Ramen89 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I recently read that they are currently working on a "new American-format Afro Samurai comic", so I'm certainly expecting a rejigged story more suited to the American audience.

Basically, I think what most people are expressing here is a valid concern that some outsiders will come in and ruin their anime. It's natural for people to feel this way- after all, look at the massive bother caused by the Glazier family coming in and buying Manchester United. People hate change and given the previous examples of US companies directly influencing and/or meddling with anime, I can't help but see their point. I mean Lady Death, IGPX et all.

Paul said:
aniki said:
Mangaminx said:
Ramen89 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I recently read that they are currently working on a "new American-format Afro Samurai comic", so I'm certainly expecting a rejigged story more suited to the American audience.

Basically, I think what most people are expressing here is a valid concern that some outsiders will come in and ruin their anime. It's natural for people to feel this way- after all, look at the massive bother caused by the Glazier family coming in and buying Manchester United. People hate change and given the previous examples of US companies directly influencing and/or meddling with anime, I can't help but see their point. I mean Lady Death, IGPX et all.

I certainly dont want the US companies having a input in the contents of a title or to really see an anime that is made specifically for the US. I watch anime because its something unique, Ive never got into American films or cartoons much since I passed a certain age, they always bore me. Same goes for TV series. I dread to think on titles like this being the future of anime as quite simply it would stop being entertaining. As Paul points out Lady Death was dire, IGPX the same which is enough for me to conclude this will be, the fact they are trying to rope more people in by having a famous actor front it puts me off even more.

Paul said:
Lady Death is a prime example of a Western company trying to capture the anime style, feel or whatever and making a complete travesty. Gravion wasn't very well received either, was it?

On the other hand, I don't see a problem with the show being plugged as an animated one, rather than trying to pass it off as true anime - that really would get fans riled up and rightly so. My biggest worry here is the one Mangaminx pointed out - they seem to be making such a big deal about having a big name actor, it may be to the detriment of other aspects. Don't get me wrong, he's a good actor but a show sold on one name alone sounds a bit weak to me.

Back