Full Metal Panic

Martin

Death Scythe
I finished watching the series today and it was...well, not bad but not exactly outstanding either. the finale was exciting enough but it seemed to lack something i can't put my finger on. the animation was faultless, the mecha designs cool as heaven knows what and it started off well but the second half was a bit lacklustre until the last DVD. does anyone know if the Summer Special or second series get the plot back on track again? i really wanted to be able to say it was great but it seemed to run out of steam a little.

I felt the series certainly lost steam towards the end , but it was entertaining nonetheless. Summer Special? I wasnt aware there was one.
The comedy spinoff/sequel FMP? : FUMOFFU ( which starts in May on DVD in the states ) dosent continue the plot , but rather focusses on the comic elements (Tessa begins to attend school with Kaname and Souske).

The series Full Metal Panic : The Second Raid , debuts in Japan this Autumn , and is meant to continue where the first series ( The one you just watched ) , left off.

Well the second seire dose not really have plot its just really funny and fun.Its about Kaname Chidori and Sousuke Sagara being in high school so like the frist few eps where like but alot more funner. There is a 3rd seire in the makeing at the moment at its meant to carry on from the frist serie.

Edit : crap you bit me to it :)

looks like i got FUMOFFU mixed up with 'summer special', my mistake. if it's out in the US in May, i'm guessing we should see it either at the end of this year or early next. Second Raid sounds more like what i was hoping for, but the concept of high school comedies may growon me by then.

i enjoyed Kuz's confrontation with the traitor near the end brilliant. he came up with a comeback to the 'mercenary' argument in true Kurz style.
"I could sell two hundred photos of the Captain at ten dollars apiece and I'd make two thousand bucks!"
as cheeky as it sounded, the man had a point!

Last edited by a moderator:
valha said:
The second seire is one of the most funnyest anime seire i have ever seen, every ep had me on the floor.

I'll admit to enjoying Fumoffu!, even though the genre as a whole doesn't interest me much. It's really rare for a spin-off to be much better than the original.

Here's two questions for FMP fans: does the manga fit in with the anime series, or does it have more Fumoffu elements spread through it, and has it gone past the first series plot so far?

iv always wanted to watch Full Metal Panic! but i have always seemed to get side traked by other things..... but since seeing that a 'perfect colection' of it is comming out in the US in a few months, looks like ill be ordering that.....

About six months ago I went on a 'Full Metal Panic' spending bender and I loved it.

I have a question though, why hasn't the armed services made giant robots / mechs yet.

I mean, at least the crisis in the Middle East would be more interesting if giant mechs were roaming about...

Sorry, that was tasteless. I have a dark snese of humour I'm afraid.

Just watching this I loved the mech designs...

not enough technology for it to be worth while yet.

Remember it's not a case of if you can make it, it's if you can mass produce and make a profit doing so

Ryo Chan said:
not enough technology for it to be worth while yet.

Remember it's not a case of if you can make it, it's if you can mass produce and make a profit doing so

lol I was joking about that. Well, kind of. I've been called a wind-up merchant in the past.

Still, who knows what the future brings... :)

Ok I have a confession I am currently watching this series backwards, watched the new series Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU last week so now I have to go buy the original series so I understand it more, as didn't get some of the jokes or comments.

Gonna have to buy FMP sometime soon hope its as good as I've heard

I watched this for the first time just last week ^__^
I loved the comedy elements and hated the mercernary serious elements - felt like I was watching 2 different anime with the same characters in - weird!

The Second Raid owns all other FMP!. The comic elements were in character so to speak, through fumoffu, Sousuke is little more than a charicature, a prop for comedy devices.

The original series was the weakest. Once it departed from the manga (everything after the 3rd DVD) Gonzo weren't able to do much wiht it until the end (when it got back onto plot). It had a stunning start - I frequently revisit the first few episodes.

Fumoffu was outrageously funny - once of the funniest anime ever.

But Second Raid was the promise of FMP! finally realised: a perfect balance of action and comedy, the characters acting as characters.

The whole Kana/Sousuke dynamic in the series is brilliant for FMP fans - from total polar opposites, they are kind of used to each other. Kaname is more tolerant of Sousuke's excesses, Sousuke at least tries to moderate his behaviour, and the two of them are totally at a loss when seperated.

FMP has been one of my favourite series' ever since I watched the first 'season'. It had all the elements I love, such as mecha, action, comedy and even some romance. I found Fumoffu amusing and I've watched two fansubbed episodes of Second Raid and think I will love it just as much as the others when it comes out here.

Back