Full Metal Panic Second Raid and Fumoffu question

Ark

Adventurer
I just finished this series today and I have to say it is really a hidden gem.

I liked the First Series and thought Fumoffu was funny but this really is much better than both despite being 13 eps

It has a fairly decent plot and exciting action scenes but what really got me was the drama. It was not only believable but also very thought provoking. This caught me off guard as the previous two series tended not to have much drama or character development at all. There were literally points in the show when I was left stunned.

However I'm still mad at Kaname for not confessing her feelings. She has no excuse.
Secondly I have a question about Fumoffu. In the episode (or half episode) where Sosuke borrows and forgets Kaname's classical literature notes (loved the Apocalypse Now reference there) what is the "Lu lu lu" thing about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed TSR is what really made FMP my favourite series, the drama was brilliant and the darker feeling than what the other two series had really just kept me hooked. Full Metal Panic doesn't finish at The Second Raid, since its only at the end of the fifth light novel, main story wise i mean, and still has 4 more to go, so there is a lot left to go which i would love to see made into an anime.

As for the FUMOFFU question...i'm just trying to remember the 'Lu lu lu' bit the now =/ get back to ya on that.

After watching the first season I became a fan, but after The Second Raid, I became a huge fan. It's a pity there's been no news of the next season. Seeing as KyoAni are working on Haruhi Suzumiya 2 and CLANNAD, it may be a while before we see anything (assuming KyoAni do it).

As for "Lu lu lu!" I think it's meant to be a Japanese way of saying "Boo hoo hoo". Well, that's how it's translated by ADV.

The series left me frankly stunned, loved it from start to finish. While fumoffu might have been a lot funnier than series 1, TSR took everything that was great about Full metal panic and pushed it into overdrive. Probably my favourite anime. :D

Thats why I'm so confused as to why theres still no release in the UK for this stellar series. ADV may have been short of money, but considering the quality and then the fact they own the first two series it seems slightly moronic passing on it.

I know funimation have released it in the US, but is there any chance of them doing so here?

Wildcard said:
The series left me frankly stunned, loved it from start to finish. While fumoffu might have been a lot funnier than series 1, TSR took everything that was great about Full metal panic and pushed it into overdrive. Probably my favourite anime. :D

Change Probably to definitely and you have my exact thoughts. :D

Wildcard said:
Thats why I'm so confused as to why theres still no release in the UK for this stellar series. ADV may have been short of money, but considering the quality and then the fact they own the first two series it seems slightly moronic passing on it.

I know funimation have released it in the US, but is there any chance of them doing so here?

ADV had no choice in the matter, the Japanese producers wanted to handle it all themselves and they subcontracted Funimation to do most of the work. Funimation in turn, subcontracted the dubbing to ADV so they could keep the same voice actors. All the rights are still held by the Japanese producers, and unless they choose to release it in the UK, importing is the only option. However, I did hear a rumour a while back that ADV UK were trying to get the UK rights, but so far nothing.

Oh, and if you havn't already, watch the 'A day in the life of Tessa' special OVA in the extras section of disk 4, it's almost as long as a proper episode and it's brilliant. You have to watch it after the series though or bits of it might not make sense. :D

Tasker said:
Oh, and if you havn't already, watch the 'A day in the life of Tessa' special OVA in the extras section of disk 4, it's almost as long as a proper episode and it's brilliant. You have to watch it after the series though or bits of it might not make sense. :D

Hence why it is on the last disk since its based after the events of End of Day by Day.

I agree with Maxon, its a shame no new season has been announced yet, it would be great to see, and if that one too gets a US release, i would like to see the same VA's used in the previous seasons take up their roles again, since they did great work in them.

Maxon said:
As for "Lu lu lu!" I think it's meant to be a Japanese way of saying "Boo hoo hoo". Well, that's how it's translated by ADV.

I only ask because I got the impression that Sosuke's reaction to it was supposed to be humorous, "I see. Lu Lu lu. Lu lu lu."

I think the best part of TSR was the sequence where Kaname cuts his hair and then he freaks out on his computer after. It was set up so well.

Ark said:
Maxon said:

I only ask because I got the impression that Sosuke's reaction to it was supposed to be humorous, "I see. Lu Lu lu. Lu lu lu."

I think the best part of TSR was the sequence where Kaname cuts his hair and then he freaks out on his computer after. It was set up so well.

ooh yeah thats what it is in fumoffu, forgot that heh

The haircut scene in TSR was great but i thought episode 9 'Her Problem' was the one of the best in the series. Very well done and the VA's i thought did a brilliant job.

Arbalest said:
Tasker said:

Hence why it is on the last disk since its based after the events of End of Day by Day.

Very true. :D However I know some people in real life who watch the extras on a disk before the main content a lot of the time, and so I thought i'd mention it just incase. :p

Yeah, I've seen the OVA and its hilarious!(after watching the series). As for a new series announcement, I guess they must be waiting for the release of the final FMP novel before they start one (so they can finish it in another series as opposed to ending on a nail biting cliffhanger).

Either way, I'm thinking they wont even start work on a new series till next year :(

Wildcard said:
Yeah, I've seen the OVA and its hilarious!(after watching the series). As for a new series announcement, I guess they must be waiting for the release of the final FMP novel before they start one (so they can finish it in another series as opposed to ending on a nail biting cliffhanger).

Either way, I'm thinking they wont even start work on a new series till next year :(

Wasn't the idea of the final volume being the next one an estimate and not 100% sure?

Aw why does it have to end at all. :cry:

Also, why couldn't they at least make another FUMOFFU series in the meantime, it would extend the series and provide us with even more creamy Tessa and Kaname goodness. :D

Arbalest said:
Wildcard said:

Wasn't the idea of the final volume being the next one an estimate and not 100% sure?

Just what I heard, it might all be BS. Who knows? I just hope the next series isn't the last one.

It just so happens I fınıshed watchıng TSR thıs week and ıt was very enjoyable. I felt that whıle the fırst season was a mıx of comedy and drama, the second season focussed only on comedy leavıng the thırd season to pretty much just focus on the drama. After seeıng how many questıons were left unanswered I really want to see the next part of thıs. Maybe I'll start collectıng the manga or lıght novels to get the rest of the story of they're avaılable ın Englısh.

Nemphtis said:
It just so happens I fınıshed watchıng TSR thıs week and ıt was very enjoyable. I felt that whıle the fırst season was a mıx of comedy and drama, the second season focussed only on comedy leavıng the thırd season to pretty much just focus on the drama. After seeıng how many questıons were left unanswered I really want to see the next part of thıs. Maybe I'll start collectıng the manga or lıght novels to get the rest of the story of they're avaılable ın Englısh.

The manga only spans the first three light novels, while overload is a more chibi/comic version of it. Sigma isn't available here but is an alternate retelling of TSR(or 4-5 light novels). I'll be getting the light novels as soon as they start being released here later this year, i really can't wait.

I love this series but not to the extent as you guys have but my brother is just so addicted to this show and watch everything - FMP, Fomuffo, TSR 4 times... just insane or maybe not since I watched OHHC 5 times....^_^

Although this isn't one of my favourite shows I'll say what makes it appealing is the variety it has. There's the action aspect, the drama aspect, the romance aspect and the humour aspect. Not only that but they're believeable respectively on their own terms. Nothing felt forced or artificial. Before I saw it I though FMP was gonna be something like Najica Blitz tactics or Madlax.

Wildcard said:
KyoAni have said they're releasing Clannad next, followed by Haruhi 2, and the next instalment of FMP is going to be after that. Given that this'll take a while, and that the next FMP novel is due to be the last one, the novels'll have finished by the time they make the next series, whether they intend it to be the final anime installment or not.

I’ve seen the first series but I wasn’t hugely impressed. However, reading this thread has got me interested in seeing the TSR. But do I need to see Fumoffu in order to follow TSR?

Back