Fruits Baskets boxset - Revelation under the microscope

butch-cassidy

Straw Hat Pirate
Alright guys, I just got my hands on the new Fruits Basket boxset, one of Revelation films first anime releases over here! And what do I think? I’m quite pleased :D

The box is hard cardboard with nice artwork which is only distracted by badly stuck on stickers with age rating and the boxsets details on the back. This could be because it’s the US box imported but I can’t be sure.

The discs and box’s are the same as the MVM release however there are some slight changes. The box’s now have numbers added to them which unfortunately fails to blend into the rest of the text. With the exception of the Revolation films logo the back is the same. The adverts on the inside of the cover have now been replaced with a piece of Fruits Basket promotion artwork, same as the first of the box.

B00049QMBI.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1100568874_.jpg

So how is Revelation staking up? They seem to be very similar to MVM’s releases however this is to be expected since it is still only another company releasing for Funimation.

The biggest changes I noticed where with price and with distribution. I found Full Metal Alchemist 9 and Spiral 1 on the shelf, at £15.95 and £12.95. This is definitely better value that MVM’s single discs. The FB boxset however did cost £50 which is abit much considering an MVM set would sell for £40 RRP and when FB was released on single discs it would have been £80 for the full series.

I also noticed that in my local HMV they were very well stocked with the new Revelation releases. I had never seen so much of one release other than Manga boxsets or Studio Ghibli releases. I look forward to seeing where they are going though and look forward to more Funimation releases making it over the pond.

Is a must-buy for all major anime fans. Dubbing is pretty decent, it's hularious and an array of different characters that make you laugh or shout "kawaii!!" :)

i got the first volume ages ago and then when i found out there was a box set comin out i was a bit frustrated. so now i am attempting to sell it to my mate who also likes fruits basket and i think she knows nothin about the box set, which will help towards the £50 for the box set. skanky i know but what she dont know won't hurt her. :lol:

My, how devious you are!

So is this not a really girly series then? It gets such good reviews all the time but I just can’t help but see it as being aimed at a similar audience as the likes of Sailor Moon.

harkins said:
So is this not a really girly series then? It gets such good reviews all the time but I just can’t help but see it as being aimed at a similar audience as the likes of Sailor Moon.

It is originally targeted at girls, but like a lot of such works, when well written and produced, have the opportunity to break out into the mainstream.

Basically avoid odious shoujo cliche, make proper characters, do some decent writing, produce it properly....

Its also directed by Akitaro Daichi, a very interesting director with an extremely broad area of expertise.

Its a charming, heartwarming story. Its very funny too, with great comic timing. But under the surface, most of the characters have a tragic past. Tohru the main lead, is an orphan, and a poor one at that, but she maintains a positive outlook. Unlike most of the Sohma family, all of whom are cursed badly, and that is usually just the start of the problem.

Great show. Highly recommended.

Laughing Manji said:
Its a charming, heartwarming story. Its very funny too, with great comic timing. But under the surface, most of the characters have a tragic past. Tohru the main lead, is an orphan, and a poor one at that, but she maintains a positive outlook. Unlike most of the Sohma family, all of whom are cursed badly, and that is usually just the start of the problem.

Great show. Highly recommended.

Exactly. It is a very good series. I was looking forward to this since I heard that they were releasing a box set, I don't usually enjoy this kind of show, but it is very well written IMO and at times very touching.

No one really took notice of FB until the boxset came out. -___-

I hope there's a second series, the ending left it open for it to continue, the Japanese fan girls want more!

Lupus Inu said:

I hope there's a second series, the ending left it open for it to continue, the Japanese fan girls want more!
Well the ending was only about volume 7 or so of the manga so there is loads more story to tell. Unfortunately, with the manga now wrapped up (I think) a second series is becoming increasingly unlikely...

Gawyn said:
Lupus Inu said:

Well the ending was only about volume 7 or so of the manga so there is loads more story to tell. Unfortunately, with the manga now wrapped up (I think) a second series is becoming increasingly unlikely...
Well they did that for Love Hina (Love Hina Again+Movies).
Need I repeat the annoyance of it skipping some major turning points made in the manga...
Haven't seen the spring special though... Maybe disappointments would be shattered if I ever watch it.

Hurrah... Furuba!

Just felt like saying that
(I'm such a geek)

Even though I already own the series, I will have a peek at the boxset when I'm in the City tomorrow.

Hopefully, the boxset will convert more people to the ways of Furuba.

A real gem!

M.G xx

Back