From Up on Poppy Hill to get UK TV premiere

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
Studio Ghibli film From Up on Poppy Hill will receive its UK television premiere on Film4 at 17.20 on Sunday 4th May.

The movie, directed by Goro Miyazaki, will be broadcast in the original Japanese with subtitles. It is Miyazaki's second time as director following his 2006 film Tales from Earthsea.

Synopsis

It's 1963 and Japan is in the midst of swift modernisation, leaving behind the Second World War's painful memories and focusing on a brighter future, symbolised by the coming year's Tokyo Olympics. In the city of Yokohama, one of the victims of the rush to the new is an old school clubhouse; it's currently a gathering place for the school's slovenly older boys, but its age and shabby appearance have condemned it to be torn down. However, 16-year-old Umi, whose father was killed in the Korean War and whose mother is now living in the United States, is determined to save the historic structure and mounts a campaign to restore it. While doing so, she meets and is mutually attracted to Shun, a student journalist. But something from the teenagers' muddled past histories will surface to threaten their nascent relationship.

God damn it I'll be back in Uni by the time it's on. I'll probably find a way to record it and watch it when I come back at the end of May.

Will definitely be watching this. Have never seen From Up on Poppy Hill before, so it'll be interesting to watch it for the first time. ^^

I'll get my Mum to Sky Planner it for me as I'll already be on route to the pub for my friends Birthday meal. I am very excited! Thanks for the heads up :)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Best thing Ghibli have done since Spirited Away, for me. Rumours of Goro's uselessness have been greatly exaggerated.

I agree with this, absoloutely brilliant film. :thumb:

I should hopefully get around to watching this tonight. My Mum recorded it on sky planner and it burning it on a dvd for me today. I hope I like it :)

Back