Freezing post count in the Random Chit-Chat section?

Will-O'-The-Wisp

Cardcaptor
I'm not sure about you, but the post count used to give me an insentive to post about anime, and even made it seem like a little competition to a few members (myself included!), I used to enjoy clicking on the statistics to see how the posts were going.

I'd like to see AUKN back the way it was a few years back :), and I think if we merged a few more sub forums, closed and merged a few threads together, we'd be on our way forwards. The post counts would add to this!

Because of threads like the general chit-chat section, the post count means nothing :\. This would also apply towards the Forum Game section, as for the others, we could discuss that more.

It wouldn't hurt to try, opinions?

I think actually this is a very good idea for getting the other parts of the forum more active. good thinking :3 i second this to be honest.

stuart-says-yes said:
I don't I would still be a lowly Bonta , If it were not for the random discussion board and most poeple on this site have a high enough post count that they don't even seem to care about there post count anyway

Forum games I will a agree with though

Huh? If it's frozen in the random chit-chat section, the post counts and ranks we were after will actually have a value. The only reason why you say no is because you don't want to stay as Bonta :p. Those that protest against this don't have a reason to unless they really do care about their post rank (or can prove me otherwise)

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Those that protest against this don't have a reason to unless they really do care about their post rank (or can prove me otherwise)
But you must really care about your own post rank to want everyone else's dropped. No dice Will. :p

Besides, nothing will give people an incentive to post about anything. We'll post about what we wanna post about, if it ups our post count or not. Games can go for all I care now though, I barely use it any more. The counting thread was only good for talking, now it's just counting it really is pointless.

ayase said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Those that protest against this don't have a reason to unless they really do care about their post rank (or can prove me otherwise)
But you must really care about your own post rank to want everyone else's dropped. No dice Will. :p

Besides, nothing will give people an incentive to post about anything. We'll post about what we wanna post about, if it ups our post count or not.

You're just talking about your own half-assed attitude towards the forum there (the not caring thing), if it doesn't work, fine, if it does help a little, great! Nothing bad's going to come of it right? I mean, can you actually give me a reason why it's a BAD thing?

And I sort of agree on the forum games thread. Though I think it needs to be changed, rather than gotten rid off. Maybe given a new title and changed so it's not just restricted to forum games? "Light threads" maybe? An example of threads that should go there would be the Ninja thread I just made on Random Chit-Chat along with the games

Stuart, you're taking it the wrong way. I'm not saying "YEAH RACE TO THE TOP, LETS SEE WHO'LL REACH NUMBER 1 FIRST! *RANDOMLY POST AND SLOWLY GAIN RANK*" I'm saying it could help a bit, especially with newer members, to give a small incentive to members to post more about anime/manga related topics. (Ayase, as said above, doesn't think it'll make a difference. Fair enough, your opinion Ayase, but there's no harm in trying, right?)

I don't want this turned into a "post count is the main focus on these forums, let's do everything to emphasize that" but I do think the changes would be nice little touch for the forums

I don't really pay any attention to the post count tbh. I know for a fact that I don't rank my level of anime knowledge by my count by far aswell as would others on the forum. It wouldn't bother me if the post count was frozen however I can't see the point either. I rate people by talking to them and reading what they have to say. If you were to freeze posts in the general chit chat section, we may aswell boot post counts all together. If people just spam to get their post counts up then that's up to them, as long as your familiar to the members you'll know who knows what they're talking about.

ayase said:
The counting thread was only good for talking, now it's just counting it really is pointless.
True, and besides I thought that the counting thread was going to be locked after all the whoha about us using it to chat? :?

Will-O' The-Wisp said:
I don't want this turned into a "post count is the main focus on these forums, let's do everything to emphasize that" but I do think the changes would be nice little touch for the forums
Fare enough. Though can't see many newbies getting cold feet from seeing the posts. I think it helps promote to see how established the forum is.

Voddas said:
I don't really pay any attention to the post count tbh. I know for a fact that I don't rank my level of anime knowledge by my count by far aswell as would others on the forum. It wouldn't bother me if the post count was frozen however I can't see the point either. I rate people by talking to them and reading what they have to say. If you were to freeze posts in the general chit chat section, we may aswell boot post counts all together. If people just spam to get their post counts up then that's up to them, as long as your familiar to the members you'll know who knows what they're talking about.

Gah this is the direction I didn't want the thread to take >_<. And now I'm an argumentive mode and I hate myself when I am like this

It's not about spam for your post rank and yes the odd 1 or 2 people will do it anyway, but even for the newer members that do, it'll have to be in anime/manga related threads, right? At worst, they'll just post a measly sentence or whatnot saying why they like a certain series but atleast it would keep us checking! It would keep the right threads bumped and possibly spark off discussion!

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm attacking everyone that disagree's with me, but the one thing going through my mind is that nothing bad could come of it!

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Gah this is the direction I didn't want the thread to take >_<. And now I'm an argumentive mode and I hate myself when I am like this

It's not about spam for your post rank and yes the odd 1 or 2 people will do it anyway, but even for the newer members that do, it'll have to be in anime/manga related threads, right? At worst, they'll just post a measly sentence or whatnot saying why they like a certain series but atleast it would keep us checking! It would keep the right threads bumped and possibly spark off discussion!

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm attacking everyone that disagree's with me, but the one thing going through my mind is that nothing bad could come of it!
I can't see anything bad coming from it either. I'm only expressing my opinion. I'd be fine with the posts being frozen, I just don't see it having much effect that's all.

stuart-says-yes said:
what about a fair median point where the post count's are disabled but you can create your own rank title :?
I don't think anyone really wants to freeze all the posts. Will just wants to try something out. It would appear that Ryo has pointed out that it can't be done if we wanted to anyway. As far as rank titles go, I like to see mine change from time to time although being able title yourself would be fun. I think that however should be a perk for people who win the comps that are held. (Speaking of comps, any new ones on the horizon?)

Back