Flashbacks in Anime? Do you like or dislike.

BDT87

Student Council President
I have talked a lot on this topic with friends on skype but never on the forum. I think it's an interesting topic because most of the time I just hear people get annoyed with flashbacks being in an episode.
If it's only for a short time or pretty much the whole episode, so I decided to make a video on about it so feel free to watch for my views of the topic and obviously discuss on here.

http://youtu.be/hQVD_iAsmzA

I don't mind Flashbacks when they show a dramatic bit of back story that we haven't actually seen before. The one that immediately springs to mind here is Cowboy Bebop that tells a lot of the vicious/Julia/Spike back story as a flashback.

I don't like extended flashbacks to things that only happened a few episodes or even minutes ago. I understand that when you are telling a really long story you may want to highlight an important point for thirty episodes back, and that is fine with me. However flashing back to something that happened 5 minutes ago is either a) a Lazy way to fill time or b) the director thinks i'm an idiot who forgets vital plot points during the add break. This actually killed Gundam Seed for me. I could have managed too keep my hatred for Kira under control and made it to the end, but i couldn't stand the endless flashbacks and recaps.

Corra said:
I don't mind Flashbacks when they show a dramatic bit of back story that we haven't actually seen before. The one that immediately springs to mind here is Cowboy Bebop that tells a lot of the vicious/Julia/Spike back story as a flashback.

I don't like extended flashbacks to things that only happened a few episodes or even minutes ago. I understand that when you are telling a really long story you may want to highlight an important point for thirty episodes back, and that is fine with me. However flashing back to something that happened 5 minutes ago is either a) a Lazy way to fill time or b) the director thinks i'm an idiot who forgets vital plot points during the add break. This actually killed Gundam Seed for me. I could have managed too keep my hatred for Kira under control and made it to the end, but i couldn't stand the endless flashbacks and recaps.

Hit the nail on the head there, feel exactly the same :D

It really depends on how well they're done. I loved the childhood flashback in the first season of Chihayafuru as it helped explain why the characters were at the place they were in the present. Other times, they can just be annoying.

Back