Finally the UK has a backbone again!

Tachi

Mushi-shi
When i heard this on the radio this morning, it brought a smile to my face

"The confirmation that the European contribution to the second Greek rescue package will again be limited to eurozone countries - those that use the single currency - was made in Brussels by European Council President Herman Van Rompuy."

Finally, thats how it should be... we are part of the EU but we retained our own currency so it shouldn't be upto us to bail em out. Especially when they've already been bailed out already!

Whats your thoughts on the matter?

Let Greece go under, they'll probably, like the article says, default again in the future so people should stop giving them money and get it over with

Good news. I do think it's pretty cheeky that our stronger currency was being used to bail out other countries. It kinda feels like we should be saying "we told you so" rather than "ok I guess you can have some of our money" plus isn't this Greece's second bail out?

I dislike the thought of letting the country collapse, as those who will suffer most are those who are blameless, ie the general public of Greece. If only borders were a little less rigid, Greeece could tap into some of its territorial value and sell a bit of it.

Either way, the general public of Greece do not deserve to suffer for this. Neither do we the British public have a responsibility to foot part of their bailout bill.

memorium said:
Let Greece go under, they'll probably, like the article says, default again in the future so people should stop giving them money and get it over with
Yay for economic collapse! Yay for civilians having no money!

Mutsumi said:
I dislike the thought of letting the country collapse, as those who will suffer most are those who are blameless, ie the general public of Greece. If only borders were a little less rigid, Greeece could tap into some of its territorial value and sell a bit of it.

Either way, the general public of Greece do not deserve to suffer for this. Neither do we the British public have a responsibility to foot part of their bailout bill.

I'd have an ounce of care for the greece public if they actually paid taxes.
they don't pay any council tax out there. So they get it easy, get bailed out and then default back to their own currency and end up wealthier whilst the euro falls further.

You don’t pay council tax in Greece, the weather is glorious with 320 days of sunshine per year and a couple can still live really comfortably on an annual income of 12,000€.

Oh, and Feel free to email their prime minister if your annoyed

Mutsumi said:

That's very short term, Thatcher did similair things in the 80's and look where that got us

memorium said:
Mutsumi said:

That's very short term, Thatcher did similair things in the 80's and look where that got us

Where did it get us?

Mutsumi said:
memorium said:
Mutsumi said:

Where did it get us?
A shitload of money, but also limiting the numerous ways in which the government can generate money as well seeing as the businesses that she privatised were originally state controlledsuch as North Sea Oil, I would personally say that Greece, if they could do what you suggest, should only do it as a last resort, what they need to do is somehow find a way to stimulate their economy without borrowing so much money, they shouldn't make the same mistakes that we have done in the past

@Tachi - I have more respect for the people of Greece because they don't pay their taxes.

Maxon said:
Seconded, in all seriousness. Because yay for the domino effect which would destroy the rest of Europe's economy and bring about massive, badly needed political upheavel. Yay for the revolution, at long last.

Why do the people of Greece or any other country need to suffer because of this? Will there be less food, less land? No. They will simply have more debt to pay. So why not just stop paying the debt? Does the IMF and the World bank have an army? No? Then f*ck 'em. How long before people realise that fiat money is just numbers on a screen somewhere? It's only worth something because we believe it's worth something.

ayase said:
@Tachi - I have more respect for the people of Greece because they don't pay their taxes.

Maxon said:
Seconded, in all seriousness. Because yay for the domino effect which would destroy the rest of Europe's economy and bring about massive, badly needed political upheavel. Yay for the revolution, at long last.

Why do the people of Greece or any other country need to suffer because of this? Will there be less food, less land? No. They will simply have more debt to pay. So why not just stop paying the debt? Does the IMF and the World bank have an army? No? Then f*ck 'em. How long before people realise that fiat money is just numbers on a screen somewhere? It's only worth something because we believe it's worth something.
Exactly what I believe, money is null and void

Tachi said:
Mutsumi said:

I'd have an ounce of care for the greece public if they actually paid taxes.
they don't pay any council tax out there. So they get it easy, get bailed out and then default back to their own currency and end up wealthier whilst the euro falls further.

You don’t pay council tax in Greece, the weather is glorious with 320 days of sunshine per year and a couple can still live really comfortably on an annual income of 12,000€.

Oh, and Feel free to email their prime minister if your annoyed

Hmm I agree with Matsumi, I can't rejoice that the country is in a financial crisis, and to be honest I don't see what this has to do with the UK government having a "backbone".

Tachi, the only reason you pay council tax is because your made too. So you can't playa hate the greek just because they aren't made to. The Greek public didn't do anything, if you wanna blame someone blame the government, but as mentioned they aren't the ones who suffer.

Damn slippery Greeks and their secret plot to take down the whole of Europe. Can't we just relocate them and the Irish to Australia or somewhere?

ilmaestro said:
Damn slippery Greeks and their secret plot to take down the whole of Europe. Can't we just relocate them and the Irish to Australia or somewhere?
I vote we send them and the French to the moon.

Lawrence said:
animefreak17 said:
i know its grease fault and they need to get out of this them selfs ................... i just hope the women and children will be ok

Indeed, nothing like a fine woman with a tan, though you do make a valid point, women with children certainly are an easier catch.

Don't forget the men though, some-one has to work those long thankless hours at work to provide the food.
hetalia greeks sleep alot

Back