Final Fantasy Type-0 (Agito XIII) coming to PS4/XO in EU/US

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Quite a surprise, fans demanded that this title should get released back when it came out on the Playstation Portable but now years later it's getting localised for PlayStation 4 (and the Xbox One).

PS4 Announcement

Re: Final Fantasy Type-0 (Agito XIII) coming to PS4/XO in EU

Will Definitely be picking this up for Xbox one, does it have a release date or is it a title coming in 2015?

It was pretty badly announced from Sony too. They fired out saying "It's coming to Vita!" when it wasn't. Now Shahid is betting everything on getting it carried over too Vita after the rage at the mistake made. Either way, i'm glad it's getting a release now, easily something i'd pick up for PS4.

Why on Earth would they release it for PS4 instead of Vita, how weird.

ilmaestro said:
Why on Earth would they release it for PS4 instead of Vita, how weird.
Because Sony have basically killing off the Vita. They outright said that there are no first-party games in development for it.

ilmaestro said:
It's a Squeni published game.
And SquEni know that Sony is killing off the Vita, so there's no point?

I wonder how well Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD sold on the Vita now...

If you think that "focusing on third party and indie titles" is the same as "killing off", I think you have the wrong idea about where the whole industry is going over the next few years.

Joshawott said:
ilmaestro said:
It's a Squeni published game.
And SquEni know that Sony is killing off the Vita, so there's no point?

I wonder how well Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD sold on the Vita now...

X/X-2HD on vita has sold around the 75k mark in the US LTD, going by Mays NPD. Nothing has cropped up the europe that i've seen, but i'll take a gander.

It's easy to understand why people think the Vita is being killed off, but it's still got stuff here and there. It's a lot stronger than it was at launch, and i won't deny it needs a bit more backing, but it's still lingering.

Type-0 should have been going to Vita but XBO/PS4 isn't a bad idea either. I'll still hope for a Vita iteration too purely so i can actually buy it(don't own a PS4/XBO), so let's hope the man behind the accidental Vita announcement keeps to his word.

ilmaestro said:
If you think that "focusing on third party and indie titles" is the same as "killing off", I think you have the wrong idea about where the whole industry is going over the next few years.
And yet they have so many of their first party studios focusing on the PlayStation 4. Sure, Sony and Microsoft's systems have mostly earned their bread from the third party games on their consoles (unlike Nintendo who rely on first and second party), but with a console with such a low install base as the Vita, Sony saying that they have no first party Vita games in development will kill it - at least in the west, where we don't get the multitude of anime visual novels Japan is getting (and even if we did, they'd sell poorly). All of the indie games shown off at E3 are coming to the PlayStation 4 as well.

The Vita's sales my strong in comparison to other consoles out there in Japan, but its sales don't even come close to that of its biggest competition, the 3DS. I also remember seeing various photographs on my Twitter feed during E3 remarking on how the sections with Vita games were practically empty. It says a lot when a PSP title is being remastered for the PS4/XB1 and seemingly, not the Vita (unless the previous article turns out to be an accidental leak, but I don't see why they would hide it).

Honestly, I love the Vita as a console and I don't regret buying one (Mainly because of Persona 4: The Golden), but it would not surprise me at all if it's Sony's last handheld.

Joshawott said:
And yet they have so many of their first party studios focusing on the PlayStation 4.
You would hope so, with so few games out for the system at the moment. ^^;

If they had debuted a lot of the Vita games I'm most looking forward to at E3 the average journalist wouldn't have had the slightest idea what to make of them. I don't see Sony giving up on the mobile market at all, though they might stop bothering with the western market so much next time since it's clearly not all that interested ^^;

R

I wonder if the decision to port Type-0 to the PS4/XB1 due to Square Enix seeing it as more profitable to release a HD port on a home console as opposed to a handheld that is failing in the west?

In Japan, the 3DS is running far in the lead, but the Vita usually follows behind it (for example, last week the 3DS sold 21K units, followed by 13K PS Vitas, with the Wii U in third place with 12K and PS4 with 8K).

For a while now, I've wondered about whether a future console for Nintendo for example, could cut the problem of them having to balance development for two platforms by being a single console that works by itself as a handheld, but can also be plugged into a TV and used as a home console? So for Sony, it would basically be like a PS Vita with the Vita TV built in, as opposed to it being a separate product.

It would have to be the other way around imo. An expanded version of the Wii U gamepad to provide more remote gameplay, rather than a version of PSTV expanded "the other way" to provide better a more robust in-home experience.

It would be very interesting to see the sales figures for Type-0 (presuming that we won't since it's a digital release). I expect the game will get panned in reviews, but depending on release date it might not have much competition, especially on PS4.

Back