Final Fantasy 14 thread

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Hey guys just wondering if anyone here is playing Final Fantasy 14? I am getting it in tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to get my brother off my ps3 for once and actually a game for once! (Seriously he is always on Netflix and youtube all day, he needs to get his own ps3!)

Anyway I was wondering if anyone wanted to team up if they had the game. I won't be on it a lot but I thought it would be cool to create or join a AUKN guild together!

I played it for about a month solid when it first came out earlier this year - like about 4-5 hours a day. By the end of the month though I felt pretty burned out - I'd polished off the majority of the PVE content so was hitting the serious 'grind' stuff and end-game content, which I found too difficult/very competitive in a 'if you don't know this enemy's attack routine by heart, people shout at you' sort of way.

It's a stunning game, and probably the best fantasy MMO I've ever played, but I wasn't sure I could commit to the sub fee on top of my other commitments - it needs serious time investment.

Yeah me and my brother will most probably take turns on it. Me and my missus are inbetween work and looking after the little one at the moment so this is something that we could go at night to unwind and do together. We don't get much time to do anime /gaming things anymore so this would be a great thing to do together. Bewteen the 3 of us I am sure there will no burnout!

devilrules666 said:
Yeah me and my brother will most probably take turns on it. Me and my missus are inbetween work and looking after the little one at the moment so this is something that we could go at night to unwind and do together. We don't get much time to do anime /gaming things anymore so this would be a great thing to do together. Bewteen the 3 of us I am sure there will no burnout!

Perfect - that sounds like a great set up! I got the most out of it when I took a few days off work on holiday and was able to dedicate proper time to it - it's such a rich, involving set-up it really benefits from that kind of approach.

I play the game when i get some free time via my brothers account. I'm currently running a level 34 warrior about at present and loving the returning challenge of tanking. WoW tanking got to easy, a bit to much like "stand here, use this, you're alive. GG!", and the whole threat thing just became non-existent, but XIV brings back the challenge of holding threat, keeping your allies alive and crowd control. I really enjoy it. With the announcement of the Dark Knight in the expansion, i'm tempted to dabble in that too to see how it fairs.

It's worth checking out for sure. If you plan to join someone else on their server they can hook you up with an invitation code so you can both earn some free in-game knick knacks.

I'm back in the game whenever I have free time now I've finally ditched my previous MMORPG. Some things bother me (like the lack of useful interface customisation despite there being an awful lot of interface customisation options!) but it's an absolutely cracking game and jolly addictive. Just ordered a new TV so that I can play it better >_>

R

It's definitely one of the best MMOs I've ever played - I have to admit I'd prefer if its model was similar to Destiny though, where you pay just for the base game and expansions, as it's more conducive to dipping in and out than a monthly sub fee you might not always be able to justify in terms of hours spent playing.

Eh, it has way more incentive than Destiny does for players to stick around between expansions. Way more gear to grind for, way more relevant dailies to do, way more events, actual in game chat and generally usable social interactions.

Rui said:
now I've finally ditched my previous MMORPG
:( Sorry to hear that.

Even though I think it was a pretty much unplayable game on a mechanical level, I still hold it in the highest respect.

What UI customization would you like to be able to do that you can't currently?

ilmaestro said:
Even though I think it was a pretty much unplayable game on a mechanical level, I still hold it in the highest respect.

What UI customization would you like to be able to do that you can't currently?

It's mostly the pain of switching from playing a console game on a console to playing a ported PC game on a console; it's not as good a fit. I'm hoping some will be remedied by the new actual-HD TV (at the moment I have to play with the log window overlapping the macro bar even though there's a clear inch of unusable space on the other side of the unmovable log, because I can't read the text on either otherwise). In the party list, the second player (which is where I like to put the tank) has their buff icons overlapping with those of my target, again because I'm playing in 720P and making anything smaller makes it impossible to see the timers and icons reliably. There's a lot I'd like to do to the party list interface to make it feel as though I'm in as much control as I used to be but options for that are surprisingly sparse.

There's also a weird issue where my (JP) PS4 naturally has O to select and X to cancel, so I've set the game up to match that. But because I bought the UK version, the login screen and chat window (?!) still use the inverted controls because they're outside the parts of the game controlled by the key settings. Why, Square-Enix, why? Please just inherit the console's settings for things like that. At least the chat window respects my keyboard.

So nothing game breaking but adapting is tough. I assume at least some of the issues will be fixed in due course. And most of my gripes with the party list will be lessened by simply learning all of the icons fluently and getting used to its rules, which will come with time. I was just hoping all of these things were configurable since I've never played a game with such a generous abundance of UI configuration options.

New TV was delivered this morning so I'm looking forward to having more space on the screen to play with tonight :D

R

I should be able to get on over the next couple of days - if you're on Odin send me (Anantha Antha) a tell! If you're not on Odin... come to Odin!

Rui said:
I'm hoping some will be remedied by the new actual-HD TV (at the moment I have to play with the log window overlapping the macro bar even though there's a clear inch of unusable space on the other side of the unmovable log, because I can't read the text on either otherwise). In the party list, the second player (which is where I like to put the tank) has their buff icons overlapping with those of my target, again because I'm playing in 720P and making anything smaller makes it impossible to see the timers and icons reliably. There's a lot I'd like to do to the party list interface to make it feel as though I'm in as much control as I used to be but options for that are surprisingly sparse.
Sounds like some of this will definitely be fixed by playing in the resolution the game was clearly designed for, even if they wouldn't necessarily admit that.

Not sure which "unmovable log" you're talking about (or what you mean by "macro bar", since you can put macros wherever you like on whichever bar you like except the pet hotbar), I think all the UI elements are movable now, but I don't play on console so wouldn't be shocked if there was still one or two things that were awkward.

I think they know that they need to do more things with the party list (they only made it auto-sortable after a decent period of time). They've said they are looking to add things like visible TP meters, but I would be genuinely interested in other particular details you'd like control of - this is the first MMO that I've actually played a lot so I suspect I am settling for "good enough" not knowing what else I should be expecting!

I'd need to see a screenshot of your UI to really be able to say if it's something that can be fixed, but is just non-intuitive from the way the menu is presented.

ilmaestro said:
Not sure which "unmovable log" you're talking about (or what you mean by "macro bar", since you can put macros wherever you like on whichever bar you like except the pet hotbar), I think all the UI elements are movable now, but I don't play on console so wouldn't be shocked if there was still one or two things that were awkward.

I think they know that they need to do more things with the party list (they only made it auto-sortable after a decent period of time). They've said they are looking to add things like visible TP meters, but I would be genuinely interested in other particular details you'd like control of - this is the first MMO that I've actually played a lot so I suspect I am settling for "good enough" not knowing what else I should be expecting!

I'd need to see a screenshot of your UI to really be able to say if it's something that can be fixed, but is just non-intuitive from the way the menu is presented.

Pretty sure you're right about the resolution and the game being explicitly designed for a better one, even though they threw in magnification and a sub-1080p mode as an afterthought.

The (console version of the) game reserves quite a large border around the screen where you cannot move anything, which has the maddening effect of scrunching things up close together when there's actually plenty of room reserved for sky and ground and other unimportant things around the edge. I like to use the... cross hotbar default and toggle it with R1 to avoid filling up my precious space, and unless I make it too small to read the numbers (which I still sort of like to see) it overlaps quite a lot with the chat log, which I enlarged so I could communicate more effectively. If I could shift it away from the cross macro bar it would fit almost perfectly!*

* I installed the new TV after writing this paragraph and I can now fit everything on screen. I still can't move the bally chat log to the edge, but now nothing overlaps and I gained loads of space moving everything else to the edge, woohoo!

It's good to hear they're still tweaking the party list. For one thing I'd like to remove my own TP gauge for jobs where it does almost nothing anyway, and I would quite like it if I could configure which buffs/debuffs showed up when not highlighting someone; I want to get much quicker at dealing with them than I currently am. Ironically many of the 'flaws' didn't exist in XI for the wrong reason - you couldn't see any debuffs on other players at all, so you had to memorise which abilities caused which debuffs and remove them via deduction and memory alone (I used to play with my log maximised full screen most of the time) ^^;

One thing which is quite fun is the greater focus on movement even for lazy casters like myself. I got used to picking a safe place to stand and parking myself until the battle was done to concentrate on the party, whereas now I have to pay attention to many different things to survive. It's challenging but not in a bad way. I was worried I'd get blacklisted forever during Titan ;_;

I think just having a mouse or one hand on the keyboard makes a lot about the interface work more fluidly. Amusingly a friend started playing on PC then had to switch to full pad control due to an RSI flare-up; he's been bitterly missing the mouse ever since.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Rui said:
* I installed the new TV after writing this paragraph and I can now fit everything on screen. I still can't move the bally chat log to the edge, but now nothing overlaps and I gained loads of space moving everything else to the edge, woohoo!
Excellent!

The buffs/debuffs display is another thing they've been working on in terms of what to prioritize. Definitely something you just get used to over time, but I still find (like you say) it really helps to have a keyboard on hand to be able to quickly hit F1-whatever to target different party members and check buffs/debuffs.

Are you playing on PS3? I know some of the overscan related issues of not getting UI elements tight to the edge of the screen can be dealt with on PS*4* in the actual console system menu, not sure if PS3 has as many options in that regard.

Titan is great fun. Titan Extreme is the most fun. :p

ilmaestro said:
The buffs/debuffs display is another thing they've been working on in terms of what to prioritize. Definitely something you just get used to over time, but I still find (like you say) it really helps to have a keyboard on hand to be able to quickly hit F1-whatever to target different party members and check buffs/debuffs.

Are you playing on PS3? I know some of the overscan related issues of not getting UI elements tight to the edge of the screen can be dealt with on PS*4* in the actual console system menu, not sure if PS3 has as many options in that regard.

I upgraded to PS4 when they ran the PS3->PS4 migration offer recently (I bought a PS4 on my last trip to Japan for one game which isn't out yet so I may as well use it for something :D). It's very odd, everything else can be moved right to the edge but not that one box. My PC-using friends can certainly put theirs in the right place as they've been uploading pictures to taunt me. It doesn't matter so much now as the new screen lets me stuff other miscellaneous interface elements around the chat log in the unused space (which I have done gleefully).

Titan is great fun. Titan Extreme is the most fun. :p

I shall, er, look forward to it. After I have some more gear and gameplay experience under my belt :D

R

Cool, when you're online search for me (Anantha Antha) and I'll throw a linkshell invite. You can't add people while they're offline, sadly.

Rui said:
It doesn't matter so much now as the new screen lets me stuff other miscellaneous interface elements around the chat log in the unused space (which I have done gleefully).
That is odd indeed! At least you have found a suitable solution.

Did you try changing the overscan settings in the PS4 menu though? The chat box is part of a special set of HUD elements that you can't drag off the visible edge of the screen (unlike, say, the map, or your crafting log, which you can have half off the screen if you like) which would explain it behaving differently to the other parts of your HUD. The PS4 sets the "visible" limit of the screen on the system level, rather than per game.

edit:

As per here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/283499

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/ ... e_chatbox/

Back