File-sharers arrested for uploading huge amounts of anime

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Three Japanese salary-men <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-09/3-arrested-in-japan-for-spreading-anime-via-share-program">were arrested</a> late last week for allegedly uploading&nbsp; new episodes of anime to the Japanese file-sharing program "Share". <a href="http://zepy.momotato.com/2008/05/09/police-arrest-3-people-that-shared-anime-on-share/">According to Canned Dogs</a>, these three people (their online handles were 92JeyRfcya, YS2YSUOe1cLtf and YnXmHqtxqS) were well-known within the file-sharing community for encoding and uploading "huge amounts" of anime; a lot of which was then used as a basis for international fansubs. It remains to be seen whether their absence will ultimately effect the speed of online distribution of fansubbed anime.

I don't think their absence will effect the availability of series like Code Geass and Macross Frontier, but I know a lot of people relied on these uploaders for the not-so-popular stuff too. I've seen these guys described as the "pillars" of the Japanese anime file sharing scene, and that they've suddenly gone (and been arrested) will create something of a panic. I'm sure the natural order will return sooner or later, but, it will be interesting to see how this effects the Japanese side of the things.

Regardless of moral/legal implications of what's happened I can't see it even making a ripple in the fansub scene. There's always someone else, which is probably why such aggressive measures are being taken against uploading in the first place.

wonder how long they'll be in custody,
i mean, just going on laws that come straight to mind;

Copywrite breach,
Unauthorised Public Sharing and distribution,
(i guess it could include) Theft.

would hate to be in their shoes right now =/

depends on how the Japanese law is setup

even in the UK there are so many grey area's a lawyer could easily find a loop hole and get them off scotch free

Tachi- said:
claim ignorance :p

ignorance is bliss

=) nice try, but ignorance of the law is not an excuse in any country.
of course an obscure law such as being forbidden to chew gum in Singapore can have a lightly $$ penalty if you're a foreigner, instead of having you arrested, or maybe peeing in public (it's actually accepted in some places).

For instance, people being annoyed with me listening to loud music on my ipod is weird... if they ever made it into some sort of law, I will possibly fail to comply, as I really get carried away sometimes...

Paul said:
Three Japanese salary-men <a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-09/3-arrested-in-japan-for-spreading-anime-via-share-program">were arrested</a> late last week for allegedly uploading new episodes of anime to the Japanese file-sharing program "Share". <a href="http://zepy.momotato.com/2008/05/09/police-arrest-3-people-that-shared-anime-on-share/">According to Canned Dogs</a>, these three people (their online handles were 92JeyRfcya, YS2YSUOe1cLtf and YnXmHqtxqS) were well-known within the file-sharing community for encoding and uploading "huge amounts" of anime; a lot of which was then used as a basis for international fansubs. It remains to be seen whether their absence will ultimately effect the speed of online distribution of fansubbed anime.

Damn I used to get my stash from this guy :cry:

I wonder if these cases have progressed at all... has this impacted fansubbing at all?

I'm not that much into fansub, bu I'm really impatient, so I only buy completed series with very, very few exceptions.

For things like Hikaru no go and 3x3 fansub / scanlations are the only way to see it through :( like Paul says, the real popular will still be available, but the less known series might suffer from it.

I still was not able to see 3x3 to the end, neither those who hunt elves...

I'm thankful I'm a few years behind on my fansubs then. It'll be a long time yet before I catch up with the likes of One Piece & Naruto both being approx 150-200 episodes ahead of me.

Back