Feedback on these series....

Yuvie

Student Council President
Hey, just wanted some feedback from anyone who have seen these series. How do you rate them? Are they worth adding to the never-ending 'Wants list'?

Okay, I've got:

Zaion
Ergo Proxy
Kurau Phantom Memory

I don't know too much about them but they've seemed interesting from the synopsis.

Yuvie said:
Hey, just wanted some feedback from anyone who have seen these series. How do you rate them? Are they worth adding to the never-ending 'Wants list'?

Okay, I've got:

Zaion
Ergo Proxy
Kurau Phantom Memory

I don't know too much about them but they've seemed interesting from the synopsis.

I believe I saw the first few episodes of Kurau (5 according to MAL). I saw it on TAN (or AC, I forget), note how I stopped at 5. Nuff' said.

Ergo Proxy is a decent 'end of the world' thriller series. There are better, but it makes up for its flaws with likable characters and the humour.

Kurau had mixed reception, but it's a good solid series which never really challenges its potential.

If you are a fan of the English Langauge track, both have superb dubs, with Ergo Proxy in particular shining in that aspect.

Ergo Proxy begins and ends as a fairly typical dystopian thriller. During the middle, though, it goes places you wouldn't expect it to and gets a bit trippy. Personally I like those middle episodes, my favourite being the one in which the slighly stuck-up female lead amusingly narrates her observations of her travelling companions, but many viewers prefer the standard dystopian stuff. Your mileage may vary.

As for Kurau, I watched that one recently and posted thoughts in a couple of different threads. Because I'm lazy, here's some concise impressions. It's maturely written and well directed, which probably explains why it's not terribly popular.

/puts claws away

Ergo Proxy is aimless, has no budget (most is spent at the start) and makes very little sense because there are more questions than answers. It's rated highly only by those who mistake confusion for depth; a common trait among anime fandom.

There's a 6/10 review on MAL with my near enough exact thoughts.

Zaoin is supposed to be one of the worst anime ever. Kurau isn't supposed to be that great of an anime, and 6/10 Fabio recommending it should make you worry.

I found both Ergo Proxy and Kurau to be worth my time. I think for me Kurau was the lesser series but it had more action which will attract more people. With Ergo Proxy you really need to be awake to take it in.

While I did not find Zaion particularly bad it really is a series you wont miss if you don't see it.

Ergo Proxy isn't deep, but it's a pretty good watch, just watch it for Pino, the only "good" character in the show.

Not so sure about the rest, I saw some of Karau back in the day but because I was still a bit of a Shounen fanboy it didn't catch on with me. (Like what, four years ago I saw it?)

Hmm, there's a reason why they slipped the radar then...

I think I'll skip Zaion and maybe put Kurau on the rental only list.

As for Ergo Proxy, it sounds a bit like a mix between GITS & Texhnolyze but not as good as either, then?

Yuvie said:
Hmm, there's a reason why they slipped the radar then...

I think I'll skip Zaion and maybe put Kurau on the rental only list.

As for Ergo Proxy, it sounds a bit like a mix between GITS & Texhnolyze but not as good as either, then?
Series being missed does not mean they're bad. In fact it's more likely they were good but got shunned for whatever was popular at the time.

Problem is that Kurau isn't entirely available in this country, so imports or piracy are the only way to see everything. Zaion is entirely skip-able, not bad, just bland as hell and only 2 episodes per disk makes it more easy to avoid

Back