Favourite Yuu Watase manga

Rena Ryuugu

Oyashiro-Sama
Yuu Watase is one of my favourite mangakas and I'm just wondering what is everyones favourite manga bu Yuu Watase

Mine would have to be Fushigi Yugi, as it was the very first shojo manga I read and plus I really enjoyed the storyline and the characters as they each had their unique personalities especially Chichiri and Miaka who are my favourite characters in the story

I haven't yet read any Yuu Watase manga, but I have been looking at either Absolute Boyfriend or Imadoki to replace Fruits Basket when that's finished. Are either of these any good?

panda z said:
I haven't yet read any Yuu Watase manga, but I have been looking at either Absolute Boyfriend or Imadoki to replace Fruits Basket when that's finished. Are either of these any good?

I have only read a few volumes of each for Imadoki and Absolute Boyfriend but I have enjoyed the story of what I read so far :D
and I would recommend them

I was really into Fushigi Yuugi back in the day and couldn't stop reading/watching it. Chichiri and Tasuki are my favourites. She put so much love into the setting and characters that it was a great pleasure to read. Her soft art style is very pleasant too.

After FY I moved onto Ayashi No Ceres which was a weaker series in many ways but with some moments of awesome from time to time. The anime wasn't bad too despite fairly basic animation. I don't really like the main male leads (Tooya/Tamahome) so subsequently avoided series by Watase that weren't "harem" shows, and gradually got out of touch with her works.

R

panda z said:
Absolute boyfriend was too "girly" for me, but fushigi yugi is good.

Tamahome was a decent character, but comparing with everyone else he is terrible. For some reason, all my favourite characters die! Ah, I liked the anime more than the manga, not sure you can find it easily anymore though.

Ayashi no ceres is enjoyable as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny this thread was revived today. I was talking earlier this week about buying the two box sets of fushigi yugi.

chichiri seems to be a favourite around here. I liked Nuriko as well.

So many people seem to really like Fushigi Yugi, though strangely I never seemed to get into it, I only made it to somewhere around volume 5 before I lost interest.
It's one of those classic Shoujo series so maybe I should give it another go since I'm a big fan of many of Yuu Watase's other manga. My favourite is Imadoki.

Fushigi Yuugi hands down, such a fantastic manga, hasn't really got the credit it truely deserves. it's starting to get cosplayed a bit now, myself included .

I've read quite a lot of her stuff, but the one that stood out for me was Imadoki! The series takes a very modern look at friendships. I wish the series had been longer.

For any Absolute Boyfriend fans out there. It's worth checking out the J-drama, it even has the guy who plays Nanba from Hana-Kimi in it, which gets my vote of approval. :)

M.G x

Back