Favourite and least favourte English Voice Actors

Favourite: Cristina Vee. A lot of people had a single voice for her in their minds (Haruhi), causing raised eyebrows when she was cast as Kotori in Love Live! - then she absolutely nailed it.
Least Favourite: Greg Ayres. No offence to the guy as I know nothing about him as a person, but his voice really grates me on.

I also really like Cassandra Lee Morris, although I admit she hasn't shown a diverse vocal range lately. I just really like her voice and think it suits the characters she plays.

I remember Alexis Tipton saying at a panel that japan play a big part in who gets cast she said Funimation sends them a few voice sample for each character and they pick who they like the best so if that is true then it's Japan's fault why Monica Rial gets overcast.
Although not anime, the English Voice Director of Nintendo 3DS game Bravely Default confirmed that process to me in an interview. Apparently, he had difficulty selling Stephanie Sheh as Airy to Square Enix, but managed to persuade them (good thing - she played the role brilliantly).

Completely forgot about Travis Willingham, between Roy Mustang and Ginko from Mushishi there's plenty of great performances, and he has one of the best sounding voices in the industry.

Also Aaron Dismuke who has really come a long way and has pulled off some great characters as well, I.e Arslan and Leonardo from BBB. It's nice seeing him get some lead roles.

I don't really watch dubs, so I don't have much right to comment here. Other than the dubs I've watched because it's the only language on-disc (like Manga's earliest releases), there are very few anime I've watched all the way through in English. I've seen all four episodes of Ghost in the Shell: Arise dubbed, though.

I really rate John Swasey as Aramaki; he sounds like a perfect fit. I think he's okay as Gendou in the Evangelion Rebuild movies, but his version of that character comes across as too warm for me.

I personally think that Arise dubbed is actually superior to the original; I won't claim to be anywhere near fluent at understanding spoken Japanese, but a lot of the original dialogue seems quite lazy and clichéd. The script and voice performances in the dub are much sharper and more interesting, with great casting choices overall. Hell, the Logicomas even sound just as kawaii (cute) in English! That couldn't have been an easy thing to achieve.

Favourite: Blum Steve, Greg Ayres, Mona Marshall and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
Least favourite: Shannon Emerick. She is not good voicing boy characters at all. Mona Marshall should be the only one voicing young boy characters

I honestly wish they'd hire some child actors to voice child characters, a lot of the performances are still good, but you can tell it's an adult trying to be a child. Sometimes it fits, other times it really sticks out. Though I'm well aware that it's hard to hire child actors let alone get a good performance out of them, but there's some real talent out there.

I honestly wish they'd hire some child actors to voice child characters, a lot of the performances are still good, but you can tell it's an adult trying to be a child. Sometimes it fits, other times it really sticks out. Though I'm well aware that it's hard to hire child actors let alone get a good performance out of them, but there's some real talent out there.
There are good ones like Mona Marshall and Brianne Siddall who a great job of voicing boy characters but now we got Shannon Emerick who tries to be the new Mona Marshall but fails hard...
Shannon Emerick.is pretty decent with her other roles but her Riki and Rui were a epic fail in my opinion and she make these characters sound weak.

There are good ones like Mona Marshall and Brianne Siddall who a great job of voicing boy characters but now we got Shannon Emerick who tries to be the new Mona Marshall but fails hard...
Shannon Emerick.is pretty decent with her other roles but her Riki and Rui were a epic fail in my opinion and she make these characters sound weak.
Absolutely, there are some VAs that pull it off really well, and it's no easy feat either. :)

Back