Favourite and least favourte English Voice Actors

Watanabe Ken

Magical Girl
I have a particular fondness for Crispin Freeman from Itachi from naruto to Hedeki from Chobits he just commands your attention with his slick cool manly voice on the other hand there's Bryce Papenbrook with that whiney irritating voice I wish Aniplex would stop giving him lead roles in all there shows.

Last edited:
Laura Bailey is probably my all time favourite voice actress. I just love the sound of her voice as well has her pretty incredible range. Like, if you compare Lust from FMA, Rise from Persona 4 and Trunks from DBZ, you'd barely even think they're the same actress. Really is a shame that, like a lot of older anime VAs, she's moved exclusively onto video games, with the exception of the odd DBZ appearance. For least favourite, can I just pick every single person in the in house Sentai Filmworks dubbing roster? Sentai Dubs are 90% terrible all around.

I'll also voice support for Crispin Freeman. He was great in Slayers as Zelgadis, and loved him in Hellsing Ultimate as Alucard.

My least favourite if I had to pick one at a moments notice would be Jovan Jackson for one of the worst dubbing roles I've heard as Nyanta from Log Horizon.

I also googled Bryce Papenbrook to see who he voiced, and I agree his voice is whiny and irritating. I now know who to accredit my dislike for the SAO dub and Blue Exoricst dub to.

Another vote for Crispin Freeman here, from Alucard to Kyon he's always a blast.
Also Ian Sinclair, I'm glad he's been given some truly great roles in recent years (I.e Space Dandy, Rage of Bahmut). He also voices my favourite straw Hat member Brook and really nailed the "Death is not an apology" speech.

Ed Blaylock gets a shout out for his chilling portrayal of King Bradley/Wrath, and his recent passing is all too saddening.

I can't think of many bad English VAs but in terms of overusing an actor I feel that Funimation rely way too much on the likes of Greg Ayres for whiny teens, Christopher Sabat for buff guys, Colleen Clinkenbeard for stern ladies etc. and though they're all very talented and nail most roles they have, I hear certain voices of theirs so much that after a while I wish they'd hire some new blood as opposed to relying on a small handful of people.

Chris Patton is very good I thought he did a stellar job in Full Metal panic. I hate hate hate Greg Ayres and that constipated whiney teenage voice. I also think Monica Rail is used far too often and ruined the Tanya dub.

Brina Palencia is my favourite female VA just for her work as Holo in Spice & Wolf

Crispin Freeman and Liam O'Brien for me, those guys do good crazy.

Seems the general consensus is that "in-house" dubs suck.

Worst VA would be whoever did the dub for Gau in the Shadow Skill OVA, guy had a really heavy accent which seemed to get stronger as time went on.

Crispin Freeman and Liam O'Brien for me, those guys do good crazy.

Seems the general consensus is that "in-house" dubs suck.

Worst VA would be whoever did the dub for Gau in the Shadow Skill OVA, guy had a really heavy accent which seemed to get stronger as time went on.

I dunno, Funi's in house stuff is generally pretty good, just not a patch on Bang Zoom.

I dunno, Funi's in house stuff is generally pretty good, just not a patch on Bang Zoom.
I agree, they have some real talent, it just seems that some dubs rely on the same VAs doing the same voices they use for a lot of anime, but as I said often they suit their respective characters, but sometimes they don't, and sometimes I'm grateful to hear some different VAs to change it up.

While I'm at it Vic Mignonga and Todd Haberkorn are two VAs I never tire of hearing, (aside from Misao from Shiki), and they've voiced some of my favourite characters.

I remember Alexis Tipton saying at a panel that japan play a big part in who gets cast she said Funimation sends them a few voice sample for each character and they pick who they like the best so if that is true then it's Japan's fault why Monica Rial gets overcast.

While I'm at it Vic Mignonga and Todd Haberkorn are two VAs I never tire of hearing, (aside from Misao from Shiki), and they've voiced some of my favourite characters.
Yeah Vic Migonga is one of my faves he's also a really nice man you should check out his youtube channel Vic Mignogna he does a lot of sketches with Todd Haberkorn

I'm in a similar boat to Buzzkillington, in the sense that I've seen so few recent dubs that I couldn't name many (any?) current VAs, but I still have a soft spot for the old Manga UK dub crew, particularly Toni Barry.

Ben Diskin is my man and I will not hear otherwise.

I also think Spike Spencer gets way too much crap for Shinji.
Agreed, watched the series and 1.11 recently and the voice fit well, I mean Shinji is like 14, and is an emotionally abused adolescent who (justifiably) whines a fair bit, I'm not sure what people were wanting to hear tbh

Back