Good to know and I see what you mean, thanks dude.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that there are minimal decisions so it's more like a story playthrough. I'm near the end of the game so there are a few decisions you get to make which influence the multiple endings, but if you are saving from chapter 5 onwards you can just get them all in one playthrough I believe. If you can read as understand Japanese I'm more than happy to post you my Japanese copy that I stupidly got from playasia expecting English subs but not getting any and then having to download the digital hand for the English version heh!
Thanks for the offer, I can't read Japanese but appreciate it.

I'll look into it :)

An FGO lore musing on the current Imaginary Scramble event. I'm finding it quite apt for the Halloween season given how blimming creepy I find the Foreigner class, especially in their fully ascended states. Goghie for me takes the crown from Abby in going from the butter-won't-melt-childlike-innocence baseline state to the I-want-to-eat -your-liver ascension fear effect (excuse the namedrop of a great psone game). Also liking how so far the character really fits the namesake's personality and loving the van goghks especially!

But once again I feel I need to look up the lore from past events on this class (assuming those for mysterious heroine xx & Hokusai) given that the only other reference in the main story has been the excellent Salem one. Then again, where do the Alter Egos fit in as they also seem very integrated into the hidden lore in Lostbelts? I'd assumed they were linked to seraph and the Fate extra/moon events because of Kiara, ah but wait the rest from that side are more of the moon cancer class. Ugh, I wish I'd been into FGO from the start heh.

An FGO lore musing on the current Imaginary Scramble event. I'm finding it quite apt for the Halloween season given how blimming creepy I find the Foreigner class, especially in their fully ascended states. Goghie for me takes the crown from Abby in going from the butter-won't-melt-childlike-innocence baseline state to the I-want-to-eat -your-liver ascension fear effect (excuse the namedrop of a great psone game). Also liking how so far the character really fits the namesake's personality and loving the van goghks especially!

But once again I feel I need to look up the lore from past events on this class (assuming those for mysterious heroine xx & Hokusai) given that the only other reference in the main story has been the excellent Salem one. Then again, where do the Alter Egos fit in as they also seem very integrated into the hidden lore in Lostbelts? I'd assumed they were linked to seraph and the Fate extra/moon events because of Kiara, ah but wait the rest from that side are more of the moon cancer class. Ugh, I wish I'd been into FGO from the start heh.
Ah shoot I spent so much time on Genshin I forgot this event was going on. I see there is 11 days left so I'll need to pick up the slack. I don't think anyone can steal the crown from Abby for me though lol.

The Alter Ego class isn't a big mystery, it's a class that derives from an existing heroic spirit representing a more metaphysical version of that character. Usually taking an aspect of them to an extreme. bit hard to explain but I hope that makes sense. Alter Ego's tend to stand against humans but there are some exceptions.

There isn't actually a lot of lore for the Foreigner class in the game besides ones that get a story or event like Abby, the game just assumes you are familliar with Lovecraft lore I guess. quick tl;dr Hokusai = Cthulhu and Mysterious Heroine XX isn't directly linked to a GOO but the summer event she appeared in saw us fighting a version of BB that took some of Nyarlathotep's power. Trust me, you have't missed as much as you think.

Let me know if you want to know more about the Loveraft entities or anything :)

Last edited:
I see there is 11 days left so I'll need to pick up the slack. I don't think anyone can steal the crown from Abby for me though lol.
I'm not surprised at that heh but I am certainly enjoying how interesting they've made Gogh. They already had me at the whole class being linked to artists as heroic spirits. The Hokusai character in the Las Vegas event was a blast, so I hope I get a chance to do the event for the original at some point. The xx character I assumed was some type of universe counter force reaction to the invasion but the Lovecraftian ones are fascinating in what their motivations will be, if assuming the possessed heroic spirits will be having internal conflicts with the invader aspects. I plan to read more Lovecraf (amongst so many other things heh) but will definitely come to you for the Lovecraftian lore! Reading the story linked to Salem certainly helped to enjoy it more and I want to read the one you mentioned for the summer camp event when it plays again next year. Let me know if you would suggest any others specifically including for this event after you've had a taste and you certainly have lots of time to catch up heh. On another point, I tried genshin a few months back and ran away very fast as I was terrified of the time sink it would certainly become!

I'm not surprised at that heh but I am certainly enjoying how interesting they've made Gogh. They already had me at the whole class being linked to artists as heroic spirits. The Hokusai character in the Las Vegas event was a blast, so I hope I get a chance to do the event for the original at some point. The xx character I assumed was some type of universe counter force reaction to the invasion but the Lovecraftian ones are fascinating in what their motivations will be, if assuming the possessed heroic spirits will be having internal conflicts with the invader aspects. I plan to read more Lovecraf (amongst so many other things heh) but will definitely come to you for the Lovecraftian lore! Reading the story linked to Salem certainly helped to enjoy it more and I want to read the one you mentioned for the summer camp event when it plays again next year. Let me know if you would suggest any others specifically including for this event after you've had a taste and you certainly have lots of time to catch up heh. On another point, I tried genshin a few months back and ran away very fast as I was terrified of the time sink it would certainly become!

I found that the Wiki has a useful list of which foreigner represents which entity.

1667163559907.png

Now unfortunately Vulthoom (Van Gogh) and Cthugha (Yang Guifei) were created by different writers after Lovecraft passed away so unfortunately I am unsure which stories they appeared in. Everything else is in my wheel house though lol.

If you plan to read more Lovecraft as a friendly suggestion I advice you stay clear of "Horror at Red Hook" it is... very painful to read.

Last edited:
Now unfortunately Vulthoom (Van Gogh) and Cthugha (Yang Guifei) were created by different writers
Ah, that is interesting to know. Would probably be anathema to have another author carry on stories in the lore. I for one refused to read any of the dune books not written by Herbert sr (but the fact that jr's books aren't as well reviewed probably helped put me off heh).
I advice you stay clear of "Horror at Red Hook" it is... very painful to read.
Great, now my morbid curiosity is piqued... Reminds me of how I couldn't even get past the start of the Heart of Darkness by Conrad in the past. I still need to try and get over it and read that one...

Edit: very handy summary by the way - I am even more impressed with the choice of Gogh to link with that entity.

Last edited:
Ah, that is interesting to know. Would probably be anathema to have another author carry on stories in the lore. I for one refused to read any of the dune books not written by Herbert sr (but the fact that jr's books aren't as well reviewed probably helped put me off heh).
Yeah, this is very much my reasoning tbh. Even though entities likes Hastur who was mentioned was coined by another writer, it was done in Lovecrafts time so I didn't mind reading the King in Yellow. It was a very good book too.

Great, now my morbid curiosity is piqued... Reminds me of how I couldn't even get past the start of the Heart of Darkness by Conrad in the past. I still need to try and get over it and read that one...
No no really, I am not being facetious or alluding anything else. To put it bluntly Lovecraft was being very on the nose in his political views and the book has extremley racist caricatures. I guess just read it last so it doesn't put you off lol.

Edit: very handy summary by the way - I am even more impressed with the choice of Gogh to link with that entity.
Started the event now. I like that Abby was recommended for the mission by the computer but was removed because Sion didn't think she could take it, nice forshadowing there.

Though Yog-Sothoth is only the 2nd most powerful entity in the Lovecraft mythos so they really should have kept her honestly.

No no really, I am not being facetious or alluding anything else. To put it bluntly Lovecraft was being very on the nose in his political views and the book has extremley racist caricatures. I guess just read it last so it doesn't put you off lol.
Heheh okay good to know, I'll steer clear as I do want to avoid being put off regardless of how objectively I may try to approach it.
the King in Yellow
Ah, is that the one used for season 1 of true detective? Interesting, may try that one next then.
Started the event now. I like that Abby was recommended for the mission by the computer but was removed because Sion didn't think she could take it, nice forshadowing there.
Yeah I thought that was fascinating and on my assumptions of the lore I felt the concern being along the lines of her not being able to handle the "dark side" heh. Very interesting event and for me quite conveniently timed as I was able to clear the 4th Lostbelt thanks to the pre-event half AP allowances.

Yeah I thought that was fascinating and on my assumptions of the lore I felt the concern being along the lines of her not being able to handle the "dark side" heh.

I think the concern was the physical strain that jumping into void space puts on people. Abby is a child so she was probably held back for that.

I haven't seen true detective. Did they adapt the king in yellow? because that sounds cool.

Ah I see, I was clearly reading too much into it heh.
I haven't seen true detective. Did they adapt the king in yellow? because that sounds cool.
I haven't read the book but I very much doubt the series is an adaptation. I just recall some mention of a yellow king (I think!) as a reference in the first season (it's an anthology mystery series). The first season is excellent and I would highly recommend watching that. I couldn't watch the second one as I couldn't stomach Vince Vaughn's terrible acting (and Colin Farrell at the time as well, though I rate him a lot more after seeing his performance in the excellent Banshees of Insherin). The third season was not bad but definitely not as good as the first.

Updating with Witch on the Holy Night now up for pre-order on eshop and PSN. There is a demo available also (I'm not going to play that and wait for release).

No physical release after all sadly... I'm torn on what I want to do here because I want to support the english release but I would like to own it phyisically too.

Nice one, I was thinking I need to check back in December for this. I decided I'll buy whichever release we get in the West for what little one more ping on their radar is worth. Sad that it will not be my preference for a physical release but ho hum my shelf space will thank me. Would be interested in revisiting your idea for a simulread after release.

I have made my decision to get the english release. I might double dip later on, play-asia pre-order cancelled.

I guess I have something to play now until the next Tsukihime patch, it's been a while since I last played that and I'm very excited for the next route.

Ah blast, I need to find my switch and download this asap.

Was thinking the same on simulread and decided it likely wouldn't be practical sadly... Would still be nice to pick your brains on the lore aspects heh

Chapter 1 was veeeeery interesting knowing what I know.

Fun Fact: Witch on the Holy Night was the very first novel Nasu ever wrote before before co-founding Type Moon. He tried to have it published but no one would pick it up however because they thought it was too long to be enjoyable. It looks like certain set ups were actually re-used in Tsukihime

Character intorductions are a go. The CG and soundtrack is as amazing as ever.

The CG and soundtrack is as amazing as ever.
Done the first chapter and have to say of the few VNs I've played this is by far the most polished. Being halfway between static images and animation is a pretty good medium in a VN for a perpetually tired and somnolescent old-timer like me as it really helps keep me better engaged and awake, something I generally struggle with when it comes to VNs.

How does this compare technically to the other type-moon VNs you've played? Surely this has been significantly updated/upscaled compared to those? The hope then would be that there is a potential to do the same for the subsequent VNs for the local market and throw us in the West some bones whilst they're at it!

Chapter 1 was veeeeery interesting knowing what I know.
Oh my, the intrigue!!

How does this compare technically to the other type-moon VNs you've played? Surely this has been significantly updated/upscaled compared to those? The hope then would be that there is a potential to do the same for the subsequent VNs for the local market and throw us in the West some bones whilst they're at it!
It's identical to the Tsukihime remake in it's style. Fate/Stay Night is very similar but is a bit dated, and original Tsukihime is pretty hard to go back to unless you like walls of text over a static background.

Oh my, the intrigue!!
My blurry text goes into detail, it's not really a spoiler as I only talked about chapter 1 but I thought better safe than sorry.

Back