Good to know about the above points and yeah I'm kind of slowly moving through Babylonia whilst mainly focusing on Case Files. I get the feeling I'm going to have a real itch for the Camelot movies when I finish these and it not streaming in the UK is going to be highly irritating...

Excited about the ufotable movie and would be interesting to see how it links into, if at all, with Garden of Sinners and/or Fate universes.
I can tell you now as it's in the promotional materials for the original visual novel. The main character is Aoko who is Touko's (from Garden of Sinners) sister and is also a character from Tsukihime.

Also I got to eat my words a little
(since the VN will never be translated at this rate)
Because apparantly I just learned that the VN is getting an official English language support with the upcoming console port this year. Hell has frozen over.
〇 Supported languages: Japanese / English / Chinese Simplified / Traditional Chinese

As for Camelot it looks like Madman is releasing that so perhapes MVM will pick it up sooner rather than later.

Good stuff and if the franchise's popularity means more releases in the West, especially the more affordable MVM ones rather than the extortionate-but-oh-so-pretty AoA ones, then I'm all the happier for it.

@Geriatric hedgehog I want to get to Case Files eventually, the main draw obviously being seeing Waver as an experienced mage and contrasting that to his younger self in Zero - loved him and his relationship with Rider.

In fact, I loved every master-servant relationship in that series, they were all so intensely interesting and different! My lord, the urge to re-watch Zero, no~~~~

This is not helping my fomo! Still, was pretty happy with the send off in Heaven's Feel so can't complain but likewise would be very happy with a ufotable take on that VN.

Heh, rewatched the first opening for Hollow Ataraxia that was made for the Vita port since this thread started, and the "feels" can certainly be translated into anime form, and considering Mahotsukai no Yoru is getting an anime adaptation I still think it'll happen eventually. Then again, I got the same initial feeling after I saw the Tsukihime remake's opening for the first time and I am still jumbled about whether that one would work well in anime form. Not saying it's unadaptable, because it most definitely is, but major reworking on the narrative would have to be done for it to work well.

---

Regarding the non-F/SN adaptations, I think that I enjoyed Apocrypha the most and Extra Last Encore the least (though better than the UBW movie, but that says nothing shivers). F/GO adaptations are very "meh" thus far. I mean, I don't disbelieve @Vincentdante when they say it's amazing but considering the way they're adapting it, it's just a complete mess IMO (though a beautifully animated mess). Prisma Illya was fun as a parathesis, but only seen the first season and I heard the later ones turn the fanservice dial up to eleven so no comment there. Garden of Sinners is good though.

Last edited:
Heh, rewatched the first opening for Hollow Ataraxia that was made for the Vita port since this thread started, and the "feels" can certainly be translated into anime form, and considering Mahotsukai no Yoru is getting an anime adaptation I still think it'll happen eventually. Then again, I got the same initial feeling after I saw the Tsukihime remake's opening for the first time and I am still jumbled about whether that one would work well in anime form. Not saying it's unadaptable, because it most definitely is, but major reworking on the narrative would have to be done for it to work well.

---

Regarding the non-F/SN adaptations, I think that I enjoyed Apocrypha the most and Extra Last Encore the least (though better than the UBW movie, but that says nothing shivers). F/GO adaptations are very "meh" thus far. I mean, I don't disbelieve @Vincentdante when they say it's amazing but considering the way they're adapting it, it's just a complete mess IMO (though a beautifully animated mess). Prisma Illya was fun as a parathesis, but only seen the first season and I heard the later ones turn the fanservice dial up to eleven so no comment there. Garden of Sinners is good though.
I can't deny that. My second post pretty much points out what a mess the order they are doing it in already is.

I think they did a great job on the individual singularities but anime onlies are missing a ton of context. And as this thread has proven the chronology has left a bit of confusion as well. Solomon movie has a glaring plot hole because they skipped over a certain detail which irks me with that adaptation (and I had to explain the context to my brother) making that a failure already unless you played the game.

I can't deny that. My second post pretty much points out what a mess the order they are doing it in already is.

I think they did a great job on the individual singularities but anime onlies are missing a ton of context. And as this thread has proven the chronology has left a bit of confusion as well. Solomon movie has a glaring plot hole because they skipped over a certain detail which irks me with that adaptation (and I had to explain the context to my brother) making that a failure already unless you played the game.

Been trying to get through F/GO but I'm stuck at the prologue since I watched the first singularity movie and already know what's gonna happen so it all feels like a slog to get through. Hopefully, that clears up eventually when I have time.

Been trying to get through F/GO but I'm stuck at the prologue since I watched the first singularity movie and already know what's gonna happen so it all feels like a slog to get through. Hopefully, that clears up eventually when I have time.
Oh cool, Feel free to add me if you want to use my servants. My user ID is 324,298,613

I wouldn't rush the story as it's pretty generic until Camelot (especially Septem which is universally agreed to be the worst story in the fate franchise). But the special events are usually a hoot.

Camelot is pretty much on parity with a F/SN arc so you got a lot to look forward to if you can push past the bad one's.

Last edited:
Forgive the double post but I was thinking that they should REALLY adapt the London singularity as an anime. The lore dumps from that one would clear up a lot of the issues with the later stories. Also who DOESN'T want to see Nikola Tesla fight a japanese lighting god?

@Vincentdante many thanks for your detailed write up sir! :)

As an anime only guy I appreciate that it's not going outside of that medium as well.

My situation based on your write ups:
  • Seen Garden of Sinners
  • Not seen Deen original version
  • Seen the Ufotable Fate adaptations in full (started with Fate/Zero much like @Geriatric hedgehog did). I don't think Zero first really ruined much, as they all spoil each other to a degree!
  • Tried Case Files but couldn't get into it
I think I've seen the mainline stuff then from that side of things for the most part, not sure I want to go back and bother with the Deen work, half the fun of Fate is seeing the glorious Ufotable animation work.

For Case Files, at least as far as I was concerned, it was failing to me to live up to being a mystery. Most mystery shows I watch try and give you clues you can use to work it out, but the solutions to the mysteries were impossible to guess at because they were supernatural and based on random stuff you couldn't possibly know about.

For the off-shoot series I'll consider trying more out, pretty sure I tried the Kaleid one out but was worried the FBI were going to knock on the door at any moment (being serious for a moment, I wasn't really into it in any case).

This all takes me up to Grand Order, so not having seen any of that, is it fair to say that if I start with the First Order film first, it will sort of hint as to whether I will enjoy the other adaptations in the series?

@Vincentdante many thanks for your detailed write up sir! :)

As an anime only guy I appreciate that it's not going outside of that medium as well.

My situation based on your write ups:
  • Seen Garden of Sinners
  • Not seen Deen original version
  • Seen the Ufotable Fate adaptations in full (started with Fate/Zero much like @Geriatric hedgehog did). I don't think Zero first really ruined much, as they all spoil each other to a degree!
  • Tried Case Files but couldn't get into it
I think I've seen the mainline stuff then from that side of things for the most part, not sure I want to go back and bother with the Deen work, half the fun of Fate is seeing the glorious Ufotable animation work.

For Case Files, at least as far as I was concerned, it was failing to me to live up to being a mystery. Most mystery shows I watch try and give you clues you can use to work it out, but the solutions to the mysteries were impossible to guess at because they were supernatural and based on random stuff you couldn't possibly know about.

For the off-shoot series I'll consider trying more out, pretty sure I tried the Kaleid one out but was worried the FBI were going to knock on the door at any moment (being serious for a moment, I wasn't really into it in any case).

This all takes me up to Grand Order, so not having seen any of that, is it fair to say that if I start with the First Order film first, it will sort of hint as to whether I will enjoy the other adaptations in the series?
You are most welcome. I'm happy people find it useful.

Don't feel pressured into watching any of the series you don't enjoy for the sake of it, if it works then it works.

For Grand Order. First Order lay's the foundations of the story itself but for entertainment purposes it's a poor representation of the overall quality of the series. Certainly worth checking out so you have an idea on why the characters are going through the different singularities and it's very short as well. If it doesn't work for you though don't worry. Instead I would check out the Camelot movie (if you don;t mind using a back door to watch it) or Babylonia over on Crunchyroll and use one of those series as a judgement of quality instead.

I would ideally suggest Camelot though as it's a single movie (and imo a great adaptation)

I hope that makes sense.

Don't feel pressured into watching any of the series you don't enjoy for the sake of it, if it works then it works.

I think that basically sums up a lot of stuff I've tried, some shows I just can't gel with so I've dropped some on that basis alone, getting better at identifying the shows I'm not feeling quicker rather than forcing myself to watch them! :)

Appreciate the Grand Order tips, I will certainly try it out and report back here, not sure yet when though. My PTW isn't huge but you know how these things go.

I think that basically sums up a lot of stuff I've tried, some shows I just can't gel with so I've dropped some on that basis alone, getting better at identifying the shows I'm not feeling quicker rather than forcing myself to watch them! :)

Appreciate the Grand Order tips, I will certainly try it out and report back here, not sure yet when though. My PTW isn't huge but you know how these things go.
No worries. If you do land on Babylonia over Camelot you can skip episode 0 just FYI as that one is pretty much fan service for players of the game. The story itself starts at episode 1 appropriately.

I can tell you now as it's in the promotional materials for the original visual novel. The main character is Aoko who is Touko's (from Garden of Sinners) sister and is also a character from Tsukihime.

Also I got to eat my words a little

Because apparantly I just learned that the VN is getting an official English language support with the upcoming console port this year. Hell has frozen over.

As for Camelot it looks like Madman is releasing that so perhapes MVM will pick it up sooner rather than later.
needle scratch
Wait, what? The VN... Wait, is this the VN for the film? Thought for a second I had missed news of a english version of Fate VN.

needle scratch
Wait, what? The VN... Wait, is this the VN for the film? Thought for a second I had missed news of a english version of Fate VN.
No it's "The Witch on the Holy Night" VN as it's now being called.

It's the VN the new film is based on yes. It came out from Type-Moon back in 2012 iirc but it's getting a rerelease with an english option now. Needless to say I am hyped.

Last edited:
Yeah I plan to support the official release. I'm waiting for ther pre-orders to go up on play-asia, though by any chance do you know any other good sites to import japanese games from?
I'll probably check CDJapan and Amiami, see what they have. I don't know the great ones though for these either, I'd be merely falling back on reliable sites for myself.
And it's nice knowing I can import it and play it. I'll probably keep eyes out for a western release too but assuming it doesn't get one despite the english language (it's a possibility there annoyingly), I'll at least have a version I can play and read.

Finished watching Case Files (Fate does Poirot) first and then back to completing FGO Babylonia (Fate does Final Fantasy). And so my Grand Re-watch™ is at an end.

Really enjoyed Case Files, not really caring for working out the mysteries, which were just increasing levels of Nasu lore fabrications and would distract any fan not as well versed in the Nasuverse, or even any fan in general probably, from enjoying the real stars of the show which were the characters and their interactions. Melvin never ceased cracking me up with his inevitably ill-timed explosions of haemoptysis all over anyone and anything in his path. The lore dumps were nonetheless interesting, and quite a bit on mystic eyes which almost seemed to be handed out like sweeties. Loved the opening and ending credits and of course the great Kajiura score.

FGO was a fun romp as well though I must say it helped me realise one thing about the Fate series I really value, by it's absence in FGO, which is the darkness and horror elements, especially in Heaven's Feel akin to Garden of Sinners. It was strange seeing arguably my favourite Fate character Gilgamesh, as a nice guy?? but still very cool and certainly with the coolest outfit of them all, and not forgetting his place as king amongst them mongrels heh. Oh and on the outfits, Mesopotamia (and probably all other singularities) seem waaaay too hot for even short shorts for the ladies. One thing I really wished we had in Heaven's Feel was more on Medusa, in the vein of how UBW gave subtle hints of Medea's background. Therefore I was really glad we got those in FGO as poor Rider always seemed to draw the short straw in Stay/Night , even if Heaven's Feel redeemed her utility in the epic battles. Also, Nasu totally gives shows like Evangelion a complete beatdown in relation to increasing levels of senseless gobbledygook - "neon genesis" you say, bah! I give you Nega Genesis bit**es!"

The Solomon movie felt like a really lovely capstone to the story with the arrival of I am assuming all the Heroic spirits from every singularity really putting the Grand in the tile. I can imagine that having been incredibly satisfying to fans of the game. In fact I want to play it now! Aaaand it seems I can't....It seems either to not be on Android/play store or not available in the UK?? @Vincentdante help plezz!

@Geriatric hedgehog I want to get to Case Files eventually, the main draw obviously being seeing Waver as an experienced mage and contrasting that to his younger self in Zero - loved him and his relationship with Rider.

In fact, I loved every master-servant relationship in that series, they were all so intensely interesting and different! My lord, the urge to re-watch Zero, no~~~~
You'll love Case Files then, Waver and his relationship with Rider forms his raison d'eter and is lovingly touched on especially in the send-off in the final episode. Zero is so bloody good no doubt, I just re-watched them all, and I agree on the master-servant relationships but for me the best thing about Fate is how it reimagines the Mythos of the legendary heroes from history and so subtly frames/re-frames their backgrounds as what I mentioned about Medea & Medusa above.
Heh, rewatched the first opening for Hollow Ataraxia that was made for the Vita port since this thread started, and the "feels" can certainly be translated into anime form, and considering Mahotsukai no Yoru is getting an anime adaptation I still think it'll happen eventually.
I really hope it is adapted some day too, or if nothing else we at least get an easy to access Western release of the VN. Chances are increasing as you said so I will remain hopeful.
Argh what are you playing this on? Steam? I need a mobile version (I think it is on mobiles abroad at least right?)
not sure I want to go back and bother with the Deen work, half the fun of Fate is seeing the glorious Ufotable animation work.
Very true on ufotable and you don't miss much by skipping Deen unless you're interested in the Saber route and a bit more context for her.
Yeah for me there really was no point in trying to tease out these mysteries as given the confabulations it just doesn't work like a standard mystery affair.
Yeah I plan to support the official release. I'm waiting for ther pre-orders to go up on play-asia, though by any chance do you know any other good sites to import japanese games from?
I'll probably check CDJapan and Amiami, see what they have. I don't know the great ones though for these either, I'd be merely falling back on reliable sites for myself.
And it's nice knowing I can import it and play it. I'll probably keep eyes out for a western release too but assuming it doesn't get one despite the english language (it's a possibility there annoyingly), I'll at least have a version I can play and read.
Keep us updated on this thread with these releases guys and also any advice on how to play FGO would be greatly appreciated (even if I mostly try to scrape time together to play the days heh).

Argh what are you playing this on? Steam? I need a mobile version (I think it is on mobiles abroad at least right?)

I don't have access to my tablet right now so can't check the exact details, but there are apps/ways to get access to the other versions of Appstore / Android store from other regions. I got mine from there by following some "how-to" guide. It was not that hard so I recommend :)

GO was a fun romp as well though I must say it helped me realise one thing about the Fate series I really value, by it's absence in FGO, which is the darkness and horror elements, especially in Heaven's Feel akin to Garden of Sinners

Yeah, and regarding this, I totally agree. I think that the Fate / Nasuverse stuff is best with a touch of "edge" to it.

(except Carnival Phantasm then of course, because Carnival Phantasm is amazing)

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thought Babylonia got VERY dark towards the end?

@Geriatric hedgehog and anyone who want's to give FGO a play.

So FGO is currently released in the US and AUS only but that isn't to say we can't play it without a bit of work. If you have an android phone or tablet it's actually pretty easy to play.

1. Open up a browser on your tablet / phone and search for APKPure on google (APKPure is an appstore similar to google play just not one that is preinstalled).

2. Download the .apk file for APKpure onto your device and install, you may need to grant priveleges to install the app in your phones settings but you can switch it back off when you are done if security is your concern.

3. search for Fate Grand/Order in APKPure (make sure it is the US version as the store also hosts the JP version of the game).

4. download and play

(except Carnival Phantasm then of course, because Carnival Phantasm is amazing)

Carnival Phantasm needs a blu-ray release. I would buy it in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Back