Well, since I am already here. I also jumped on the FGO train again back in October. Stuck with it and am slowly working my way through the Lostbelts currently. I like it. Managed to pull through the tutorial this time, though it probably helped that I managed to get 2 SSR and 3 SR in one of my first 10-pulls (yeah, in the same 10-pull). The writing quality varies between parts (Septem is Fate at its worst, and Camelot is probably, along with F/HA, my favorite Fate story).

---

That said, I did not like the movie adaptations of Camelot. They changed too much and while not quite as bad as the UBW movie, it is similar in the way it condenses the story too much and takes shortcuts. Granted, they nailed the ending to the second movie. Solomon adaptation was much better in that regard, though it left out some important parts. Grand Carnival was amazing but did not expect anything else.

Septem does seem to be widely hated. The early singularities especially did seem to not have proper footing yet on the story. I didn't really start thinking it was stand out until the fifth singularily. But Camelot? That is still, to this day, my favourite story content from FGO.

Yet I got Space Ishtar, Taira no Kagekiyo and Caren this year on YOLO pulls, which completely baffled me (I kind of had the same reaction Altera had in the "Learn FGO through Manga" OVA/ONA when she got Saber through a sole summon ticket) as it was more or less a "what the heck, I could always try one or two solo pulls" kind of thing. Probably wasted my luck for the rest of the year, not that I really "need" any more servants gameplay-wise now.
Heheh I have to say that that is incredibly satisfying, and why the summoning can get scarily addictive, even when you don't need a particular character for gameplay. I guess a lot of it is geared towards making one want to pull favourite characters, and why putting the effort into writing them well makes for a good business strategy. I wonder how much they spend on psychologists advising on gambling behaviours... My favourite similar pull was getting Jeanne Alter, whom I didn't need but wanted thanks to Shinjuku, and was very pleasantly surprised when I got her with the first summoning ticket of the ten I just randomly decided I'd have a go with heh.

Septem does seem to be widely hated. The early singularities especially did seem to not have proper footing yet on the story. I didn't really start thinking it was stand out until the fifth singularily. But Camelot? That is still, to this day, my favourite story content from FGO.

Yeah, it was really really good. I had read that people thought it was one of the best in this thread among other places, so I had my expectations really high. It still delivered. The way it weaved all its diverse parts together really is the opposite of how Septem failed to integrate any of its parts.

As I say, I think it is tied with F/HA for my favorite Fate story overall. F/HA perhaps beats it just a tiny bit if only because of what it does with Angra Mainyu and Bazett as characters. That stuff is still the peak of Nasu's characterisations for me, and especially the story arc of the former is probably the most tragic part of the whole franchise. Also the epic "outbreak" ost first appeared in F/HA before FGO! Then again, the story of the "Knights" in Camelot is really, really good.

Yeah, it was really really good. I had read that people thought it was one of the best in this thread among other places, so I had my expectations really high. It still delivered. The way it weaved all its diverse parts together really is the opposite of how Septem failed to integrate any of its parts.

As I say, I think it is tied with F/HA for my favorite Fate story overall. F/HA perhaps beats it just a tiny bit if only because of what it does with Angra Mainyu and Bazett as characters. That stuff is still the peak of Nasu's characterisations for me, and especially the story arc of the former is probably the most tragic part of the whole franchise. Also the epic "outbreak" ost first appeared in F/HA before FGO! Then again, the story of the "Knights" in Camelot is really, really good.

I feel like whenever Camelot or Arthurian stuff gets brought in too, they pull out all the stops. I've heard a lot of good things about
lostbelt 6

I think it is tied with F/HA for my favorite Fate story overall.
My Hollow Ataraxia FOMO just multiplied, being bad enough after all the references from the current event * sob *.

May be trying to get that with whatever English subs I can wrangle once I finish Witch on the Holy Night, assuming that it's okay to go into that just off the back of the FS/N anime know-how without having read those VNs themselves.

I feel like whenever Camelot or Arthurian stuff gets brought in too, they pull out all the stops. I've heard a lot of good things about

Yeah, I hope I get through the remaining Lostbelts so that I am up to speed when that drops! Looking forward to it. It is the wait afterward of like two years that will be tiresome, but I guess you and @Vincentdante are already used to that kind of waiting so 😛

My Hollow Ataraxia FOMO just multiplied, being bad enough after all the references from the current event * sob *.

May be trying to get that with whatever English subs I can wrangle once I finish Witch on the Holy Night, assuming that it's okay to go into that just off the back of the FS/N anime know-how without having read those VNs themselves.

Yeah, you should be fine. Some very minor things in the more comedic SOL parts might be lost but that would be only a couple things at most (if even that). That's the positive part also, since while the core story arc is a tragic one, most of it is funny hijinks and beautiful "everyday" moments. Since you are so into Fate, I can't imagine you not liking it :)

Yeah, I hope I get through the remaining Lostbelts so that I am up to speed when that drops! Looking forward to it. It is the wait afterward of like two years that will be tiresome, but I guess you and @Vincentdante are already used to that kind of waiting so 😛
Haha yup. And the waiting game is not even limited to FGO, If you're an english Fate fan you are always waiting for something. :p

At least the second part of the Tsukihime remake english patch is almost done.

Eh, you get used to it. One benefit is knowing the gacha ahead of time. For example I know when the servants I want this year are so I can't be caught off guard. If I was on the JP server, I could use SQ one day and then the next suddenly my favourite servant might suddenly appear.

Finally the Tsukihime remake english patch is fully complete. I'll be playing the Ciel route tomorrow :D
Whilst I still wait in eager anticipation of them releasing an official version in the West meme-anime.gif
By the way, which of their VNs are your favourite or what ratings order would you list stay/night, tsukihime and witch on the holy night in?

Whilst I still wait in eager anticipation of them releasing an official version in the West View attachment 29586
By the way, which of their VNs are your favourite or what ratings order would you list stay/night, tsukihime and witch on the holy night in?

That is a good question. After a bit of thinking I reckon it would be:

Tsukihime remake > Hollow Ataraxia > FSN > Mahoyo > Original Tsukihime. Though I might be presumptuous with putting Tsuki first before I have read the Ciel route but the Arc route was epic and I was hooked from start to finish.

FGO is it's own breed and can't really be ranked as a visual novel.

Oh yeah, you reminded of hollow ataraxia, which I really want to play seeing as there's no anime for that story after stay/night. Definitely agree on FGO being very different, it's like an RPG crossed with a VN.

Wow, I had certainly remained hopeful after the release of witch on the holy night, but this is much quicker than I expected. Excellent news and I can't wait to finally experience the story of Tsukihime! FSN and Hollow Ataraxia soon after I'm hoping heheh
Might be a bit of time before a Fate port as Nasu is working on Tsukihime part 2 currently. Unless they decide to officially release the version we already have I guess which I would buy if they did.

Might be a bit of time before a Fate port as Nasu is working on Tsukihime part 2 currently. Unless they decide to officially release the version we already have I guess which I would buy if they did.
Heh all good and I can be very patient - it's not like I manage to dent my to-do-list much before I add on new things to watch/read/play 🥴

Back