Fashion design & illustration

Alice

Student Council President
I've been getting into this recently, looking through books and studying the composition and beauty of fashion illustration and photography.

I might consider following this as a career; art and fashion are two BIG passions of mine so if I can combine them, that'd be fantastic. However, I need your help. I need constructive criticism as I try to define a style for myself. I've done two drafts this afternoon and here is the latest:

I am far from happy with this at the moment but any help would be greatly appreciated! I am still practicing human anatomy and eventually, I want to incorporate my own nuances into it. I'll post in this topic whenever I feel I am progressing but I want others to share their stuff too!

Does anyone else like fashion illutration? Post your works here!

EDIT: Ah, I'm liking this one a lot more!

I find them to be deviantly random, but this is good news for you:

Everyone in the fashion course in my college has horrific taste in fashion (they look like the Rerun cast rejects in expired clown attire), ironically.

Go nuts d00d.

I'm no fashion expert, but being gay means I have some kind of in-built interest in fashion :p

Wow, I really like the first one. It reminds me of some of the haute-couture stuff I see from some of the racier designers in Paris (Christian Lacroix, Jean-Paul Gautier). I think you are definitely on to something with that first one!

I'm hardly one to talk fashion, given my dire dress sense :lol: However, they both seem good to me. I actually prefer the black and white one, but yeah, nice work :)

Funnily enough, I was looking through a 'pattern' book and thinking "Hey, this isn't vastly dissimilar to manga illustrations" - good to see somebody putting it into practice!

Ooh, nice stuff. I like you Alice - you have inspired me many times and now is no exception =3

I have done a few fashion illustrations in the past but never thought to post them as I didn't consider them to be.."post worthy" but what the hey I'll post some in here later. I find it a fun use of practice for anatomy and sketching fabric as I am very poor at doing so - folds and lace kill me don't get me started on trying to paint it v_v

My fashion sense or whatever is pretty much non existent but I prefer the first picture ^-^

Thank you very much everyone! I really do want to get better at this and I am willing to keep on practicing.

Xel: tbh, I am really flattered. 8D Thanks!

Please do post your works here, I'm sure people other than myself would love to see them also! Don't worry about them being 'post-worthy'; try to feel comfortable sharing everything. Sketches and rough drafts can be the basis of something great and it helps to get criticism and feedback so you know how to advance.
Hopefully I'll see some of your drawings sometime. :D

Oh and about sketching fabric: I find the easiest and most fun thing to do is to take a picture of said fabric and study it. Try drawing it as you see it and if you want, you can inject your own personal nuances into it. Fashion Illustration books can help out a great deal also.

Umm something I did - I'm afraid that my scanner is malfunctioning (I like that word) so I've taken a picture with my phone - apologies for quality

Back