Far East Films(China/Hong Kong; Japan; South Korea; Taiwan)

Hovis!

Vampire Ninja
Just a thread for discussion on films from any genre made in the Far East.

Watched 1988's Dragons Forever film yesterday with Jackie Chan (and also Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao). I've seen this a few times over the years now and though its regarded as one of Jackie's finest movies, I think its easily his most overrated.

It isn't a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination (compared to his more modern American outings its masterclass), but I found it one of his most underwhelming movies.

Personally this isn't a patch on my two favourite Jackie Chan films - Project-A (1983) and New Police Story (2005), the latter of which is my all-time current favourite Chan flick. :)

Re: Far East Films(China/Hong Kong; Japan; South Korea; Taiw

Hovis! said:
Just a thread for discussion on films from any genre made in the Far East.

Watched 1988's Dragons Forever film yesterday with Jackie Chan (and also Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao). I've seen this a few times over the years now and though its regarded as one of Jackie's finest movies, I think its easily his most overrated.

It isn't a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination (compared to his more modern American outings its masterclass), but I found it one of his most underwhelming movies.

Personally this isn't a patch on my two favourite Jackie Chan films - Project-A (1983) and New Police Story (2005), the latter of which is my all-time current favourite Chan flick. :)

I'll have to watch it sometime

Its an ok movie and I agree has been over-rated over the years, my personal top 3 favourites would have to be something like:

Armour of God - 1987
Police Story - 1985
Thunderbolt - 1995

New Police Story - 2005 - would be in fourth place as the downer of a beginning kinda makes it less likely for me to be able to watch it over and over again.

Thunderbolt is highly underrated. If you look past it's flaws then it's really good. Oh wow! here's a top five Chan films...

Drunken Master II
The Accidental Spy
New Police Story
Crime Story
Police Story 2

But to stop this turning into a Jackie Chan topic I have to admit I haven't seen that many live action movies that aren't Martial Arts related. I enjoyed The Ring Trilogy with Birthday being my favourite of the three and i've seen two of the Infernal Affairs movies.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Thunderbolt is highly underrated. If you look past it's flaws then it's really good. Oh wow! here's a top five Chan films...

Drunken Master II
The Accidental Spy
New Police Story
Crime Story
Police Story 2

But to stop this turning into a Jackie Chan topic I have to admit I haven't seen that many live action movies that aren't Martial Arts related. I enjoyed The Ring Trilogy with Birthday being my favourite of the three and i've seen two of the Infernal Affairs movies.

The garage fight in Thunderbolt was a must-see, one of the best chan brawls I've seen :D

Hyaku said:
McIcy said:
Agreed the garage fight is brilliantly choreographed and the end race scene really gets the adrenalin running

When you watched was it subbed or dubbed?

Seen both, dubbed on C4 and subbed on some random sky channel. Subbed was by far the superior version

I like Jackie Chan's movies, particularly Spiritual Kung Fu/Karate Ghostbusters and Dragon Fist.

I loved the ring for awhile but.. well it seems like one of those things that explodes then implodes again, overkill. Considering the length of the movie, not that much actually happens, once you've seen it a few times.

The one where the school class has to kill each other to the last survivor, you know exactly which one I mean - thought that was a corker.

Quite liked Visitor Q too, though that may be a sign more stick-with-a-nail-in-it therapy is needed.

Tetsuo I & II are craptacular classics that corrupted my juvenile mindbox and helped make me what I am today.

Bruce's movies aren't ones I'm familar with, though I prefer Way of the Dragon (the one with the restaurant in Rome) over Enter the Dragon any day of the week. Game of Death II (where they used left over Game of Death footage) really rocked my socks, the end fights and the surreal way the story plods along is .. different.

Liked The Eye too, some genuinely creepy ghostly stuffs, basically re-did the ring but improved on it.

How about Petchtai Wongkamlau's films ONG BAK and The Bodyguard. Both amazing action films, I especially liked the comedy of The Bodyguard and am really looking forward to his future films

Back