Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aion said:
...counting to a million.
I completely agree with that and what's more is we have a whole forum dedicated to things like that. If it were me I'd eliminate the post count completely. Most members do actually contribute to discussions, though I think some members seem to live in that forum games section which just seems pointless to me.

Anyway, I think this topic has run it's course.

nebular said:
Spyro201 said:
Lets face it, anime is far from popular in the UK.
I dis-agree with you there - I think it's getting more and more popular all the time. Amazon.co.uk and Play.com have massive anime sections - they never used to.

Its still not popular though. Not in comparison to most other things on the market. Heck id say ******* musicals are more popular. Thats saying alot.

Spyro201 said:
Its not that post counts ALWAYS MATTER. But you have 5, no one here knows you, and you've not posted in any other section of the forum. You've not posted in the community section, the introduction section, or the Anime/Manga section. You've just turned up and started going "I KNOW WHATS BEST LETS DO THIS".
Where did I say that? I've been very courteous and polite (despite your slightly frosty welcome!) :)
I thought it was an innocent enough suggestion - if I have broken the rules or offended you (or anyone else), then I apologise, for that was not my intention.[/quote]

What you've done is you've come on the forum, not introduced yourself, not told us anything about yourself and told us all that we should be using faebook to promote the site because we will get infinite benefits from it. Yeah I've given you a frosty welcome, but thats cause I dont like what your doing. If someone I didnt know came up to me telling me to change something about my area/home/room/etc. because I would gain infinite benefits, I'd tell them to **** off. If that person introduced themself to me, I got to know them, find out about them, then suggested it, I'd listen to what they said.

Spyro201 said:
Also @BlackWolf: You said it yourself, you dont use facebook. I dont know that many people here that do. We have our own communities in our own areas. In Forums, and MAL.
Just because YOU don't want it, doesn't mean it's wrong for someone else to suggest it for discussion. I'm grateful that you have expressed your opinion on the matter but I don't understand why you are so defensive :?[/quote]

That was directed at BlackWolf, not you. I'm not being defensive, I'm being offensive.

Spyro201 said:
Also there is the RSS feed. No need for a Facebook group at all.
Like I said before, there are a lot of ways in which a FB presence can enrich a website - but if you don't use Facebook then I don't expect you to know about them. Suffice to say, it could be more than just news updates.[/quote]

I have a facebook account but dont use it.

Or perhaps people with unusual names don't want just anyone to be able to Google them and read everything they've ever written online since they were 12, a lot of which they now realise was immature rubbish which they no longer subscribe to. Just one man with an odd surname's take on the matter

I also back this entirely. I have an unusual name and dont want people reading everything I've written. I admit, I said some stuff on another forum I shouldnt have, and looking back it was stupid and immature to say.

nebular said:
Real names are the way forward. People tend to act like idiots when they can be anonymous.
That's the beauty of internet.

nebular said:
Transparency is a good thing.

Hackers always use their real names - it's part of the Hacker culture - only "crackers" and script-kiddies use names like in the Matrix etc.
Sure, Nebular, that's a pretty awesome name you got there. Never met anyone called Nebular before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/c ... 375772.stm

I did hear about at least two or three companies that used a social network called Orkut (from google) to research on candidates. Orku by default allowed your info to be visible to anyone, you had to choose not to share before it hid your info. Most people didn't do that.

nebular said:
Sy said:
We already have a pretty solid online community here that's lasted for years. What you're doing just seems like the most polite form of spamming I've ever heard of.
LOL that's insane.
If I was a spammer, I would write a script to automatically join gazillion forums, and make 1 post on each by itself. I certainly wouldn't enter into multi-page conversations etc.
Not really, a bot would be easilly identified by users and ignored. A real person posting wouldn't be spotted, in other words, doing this would work much better.
I used to work for an ISP that paid for people to browse using their browser, while they could see some ads. If you invited someone, 5% of whatever this person navigated would be reverted to you. There were 5 users who were responsible for half of our customers (about 100k cusomers).

Posting in forums and convinving one such person is all you need to promote your website. The rest will be word of mouth.

Don't get me wrong, nothing against facebook and I'm pretty sure facebook don't need this kind of thing now. It needs to fin ways to make a profit out of their users, which is a completely different thing.

Aion said:
...I suppose that's too much to hope for when most users on this forum gain great pleasure out of counting to a million.
That's hardly true. If you ever been there, you would notice it's usually always the same persons, usually six of us.
And what's the matter if I take pleasure doing that? I'm a simple person, you know?

Please tone down the confrontational stuff guys or this topic is getting closed. This will be the only warning. There's no point beating a dead horse just to one up someone.

nebular said:
If I used some random name, none of my old school/college/university friends would ever be able to find me...

I'm with ayase on this one - that's just how I like things!

R

Rui said:
Please tone down the confrontational stuff guys or this topic is getting closed. This will be the only warning. There's no point beating a dead horse just to one up someone.

Then I say you lock it. Its pointless. We've established that we arent getting the page, so lets just close this and let Nebula go spam another forum.

Spyro201 said:
Then I say you lock it. Its pointless. We've established that we arent getting the page, so lets just close this and let Nebula go spam another forum.

We've also established he's not a spammer. Hostility to new posters after the initial confusion is cleared up does nobody any good.

Anyway, locking for the reasons already mentioned. If anyone wants to make an unofficial community over there there's nothing stopping them!

R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back