Facebook: Is it trustworthy/reliable?

Chaz

Chuunibyou
I don't get the hype of it all, but I've been asked to make a Facebook account numerous times. I've also heard about the identity thieft issue that comes with having an account like it, so I'm unwary on the circumstances of it all.

So how many of you have/have not got a Facebook account? Why, and do you think it's as reliable as people think it is or do you think otherwise?

Kurogane said:
More importantly, what's the point in registering?

Waste of time.

exactly, what's facebook got that msn and forums don't? other than private, personal data that can be easily hacked

I find nothing wrong with facebook, I think all the identity theft thing is just scaremongering. Besides you dont have to put that many details about yourself on there anyway.

All I have on mine is me name, age, and date of birth. Of course if you want to put your credit card details on there then go ahead :lol:

Sign up to it dude and tell me when your done so I can add you to the freinds list. (Not that I know you but that dont matter)

I have an account to keep up with a few RL friends but don't use it much and don't have 500+ "friends" on there like some people (most of whom they barely know!). I'm not afraid of identity theft as I didn't put any major details on it at all. Some people put their real addresses, phone numbers, photographs and life stories up and set them as publically viewable too - not smart!

R

Maxon said:
Anyone who is stupid enough to put their phone number/address on the internet deserves it.

Yes, it's sort of like saying going outside is bad because there's a chance you could nail your real life contact details and passport to a signpost on a busy thoroughfare and end up getting your identity stolen, in this case ;)

R

ayase said:
Make a MAL profile instead. You know you want to. ;)

Yah, mal is like facebook, but for people like us! :p

Facebook is very boring. I honestly don't understand what I'm meant to do on it - If I wanted to talk to my friends I'd to it via instant messaging, instead of waiting 2 days for a reply >_<.

I have a facebook because my friends do, I upload photos on there, send messages to one friend cos she never looks at her phone lol and that's about it.

I have a MAL too, I like it more >.>

I've been pestered for ages to create a facebook, but in honesty i hardly ever log into my bebo account and have no need to as all updates get sent to me via email so logging in is pointless.
Typical vainess said that i had to post afew pics of myself....and a brief description on how i view life in general, who my friends are and feel welcome to add me on the terms that you'll actually become a friend, i dont see the point in all this "friends" bull, if you don't know them as anything more than "that guy who added me" and just want to look popular for having hundreds of friends that you dont know, then thats just sad in my opinion.

(note....upon reading what i just wrote id like to point out that was not intended to insult anyone and as i saw Rui post she has 500+ "friends" i just want to say i wasn't directing that at her, it was just a view, please, no bitching)

Tachi- said:
(note....upon reading what i just wrote id like to point out that was not intended to insult anyone and as i saw Rui post she has 500+ "friends" i just want to say i wasn't directing that at her, it was just a view, please, no bitching)

I said I didn't have 500+ ;) actually I have about 20, and even then I delete the annoying ones sometimes to cut down on spam. Anyone who sends me a magical dragon pet or invites me to beat them at Facebook Arm Wrestling or something gets the boot immediately in particular!

R

Rui said:
Tachi- said:

I said I didn't have 500+ ;) actually I have about 20, and even then I delete the annoying ones sometimes to cut down on spam. Anyone who sends me a magical dragon pet or invites me to beat them at Facebook Arm Wrestling or something gets the boot immediately in particular!

R

That shows exactly how much attention i actually pay :lol:

I dunno, what is it with people now? is it too much to actually go out and meet with your friends, instead of sitting online talking to them?
technology's been built for most of our needs.

ovens to do our cooking.
cars to do our walking,
shopping trolleys to do our carrying,
machines to do our talking and thinking.
tredmills to walk our animals.

its no suprise people become fat lol

With my facebook I tend to just message lots of people at once if it's to do with my birthday or some such big group thing. Or to send a message to one or two people when I have run out of credit.

Well, i joined up, so far things are goin well, have made friends with new people and have got afew numbers. within 2 days half my year at highschool had sent friends requests and i recieved 170+ emails from facebook on various crap that was going on.

Back