expo news mvm,beez and manga

hmmm depending on the sets Beez release they may get more of my attention (I'm gunning for G Gundam, and the Big O) Code Geass 02 and Gundam 00 S2 were little surprise (now if it was the SEs and the Movie for 00 and more information about Unicorn then i'll would of been estatic)

Manga, not much there may look at Evangelion when it comes out.

MVM assuming cash is okay i'll probably pick up Fate/Stay Night since i was always "going to get" the Region 1 set

The problem from my point of view is that there are not enough blu-ray releases & those that are lined up are for the most part being released months after the region A release.

I got Sword of the Stranger & Sky Crawlers months ago for instance.

I also already own Akira, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise, Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid and Burst Angel Collection plus I have ordered Escaflowne: The Movie - none of which have been announced for the UK yet.

Over the next few months Funimation will be releasing Witchblade, Basilisk, Tsubasa season 1, Samurai Champloo, & Gunslinger Girl season 1 on blu-ray - there is no mention of a UK release for any of these yet.

I want to support the UK anime industry but if the releases are not there then I will import (I do own the UK versions of Freedom, Origin: Spirits of the Past, Appleseed: Ex Machina and Afro Samurai: Directors Cut).

Also if Beez do decide to release Lucky Star, for me it will need to be on blu-ray as I was one of the few who did buy it on dvd - I thought it was a very good series.

The only reason I can think of as to why it sold badly is perhaps people were expecting another Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - to me it seem to be more a cross between Azumanga Daioh & Genshiken.

Ice Climber said:
Dave said:
Still disappointed that ONE PIECE is not yet being licensed by MANGA

I really doubt it will happen. I think the series has been going too long now.
Other than that, this series is possibly not a great seller in US, what makes the UK release even more difficult.

chaos said:
Ice Climber said:
Dave said:
Still disappointed that ONE PIECE is not yet being licensed by MANGA

I really doubt it will happen. I think the series has been going too long now.
Other than that, this series is possibly not a great seller in US, what makes the UK release even more difficult.

Well it was re-licensed again by Funimation with the series by then having reached 304 episodes. So for it being out too long would never be a reason for it not to be licensed.

Sales is hard one to say either way but it still being released directly in to multi dvd box set form, so theirs no need for it to be sold as singles like bleach and Naruto Shippuden needs to be. Also just recently One Piece DVD's had three of the top ten sellers in rightstuff chart Link.

The probable main reason for it not being released in the UK is Toei demanding too much for the license. Manga have stated on twitter they would like to license One Piece.

Actually i heard the reason behind lack of DBZ was due to someone else having the european license and not wanting to share with the UK as i think the issue has been brought up with Beez

devilrules666 said:
Manga Entertainment
New Releases
5cm Per Second on DVD/Blu-Ray (Apr/May)
Thank you Manga. Thank you so much. I'm hoping (and assuming) they'll use the second dub that was shown on Shinkai day. The voice actor for Kanae had one of the best performances I've heard on an English dub.

I'm also tempted to draw for the DVD and Blu-Ray, pre-empting my innevitable change to Blu-Ray in the future.

chaos said:
ayase said:
chaos said:
mangaman74 said:
Why not produce a list of potential releases & let people vote for the series/films they want?
Quoting something I've heard from Tony (?*) previously, this do not work, as people vote, but don't buy them later.

Even though some series are considerably popular, this doesn't translate into sales.
Could they have a poll which is also a legally binding contract to buy the series you voted for if it came out? Seriously, why would you ask a company to release a series if you weren't going to buy it? :?
Beats me... Only think I can think of is that people say that more to create a hype around it than to actually buy it.
There are tons of Lucky star fans around and it really popular (just check the number of cosplayers and people dancing that sailor fuku song). But from what we know, it did poor on sales, which might be the reason Beez didn't licensed that so far.

I think there are also people like me that have many of these things on R1 discs, but would like to see them over here for other people to buy and enjoy.

I think a poll might work better for Blu-ray releases, if hey are not yet available elsewhere. Also with anime being the main blu-rays to be region locked and proper multi-region players being expensive or hard to come by people might be more inclined to buy discs from their own region. Not to mention that in many cases now UK BDs are cheaper than the US.

Lucky Star should be released in a pretty barebones package. I mean, not exactly barebones. Splash in a few DVD extras and possibly one artbox to house the collection in but it doesn't need the extravagant stuff that Bandai USA done and that Haruhi got.

It does feel wrong for it not to be out on DVD.

Jayme said:
Lucky Star should be released in a pretty barebones package. I mean, not exactly barebones. Splash in a few DVD extras and possibly one artbox to house the collection in but it doesn't need the extravagant stuff that Bandai USA done and that Haruhi got.

It does feel wrong for it not to be out on DVD.

That what I think! The only reason why I don't have Haruhi is because of all this LE crap. I don't want to spend £10 more for something that won't used/seen/whatever. I never watch extras on DVDs anyway so a normal package with just the episodes is perfectly fine.

On the subject of the Haruhi LEs, I thought it was a brilliant idea untill it actually came round to purchasing them. I bourght the first two, then just didn't want to spend so much on the final two. I ended up selling the second one and purchasing the final three volumes in the regular editions, which all fit nicely into my box from the first.

Having the first volume in a nice box with maybe a few extras, I think, is the way forward. The 'Starter Sets' that came out for a few series quite a while back are probaby my favourite example of a release style for singles. Of course, just releasing complete series in a boxset from the off would be preferred; but if a series is going to go out in singles, then some sort of limited edition box to house them in is definately the way to go.

I agree with Jayme on the Lucky Star front, be nice to get it over here. Wouldn't mind some Anime Legends boxsets, that would be pretty sweet.

As for all the new releases lined up i think i will be after almost everything manga has announced and Fate/Stay Night. Might take a look at Romeo x Juliet and Rosen Maiden if the hype around thems gd.

A bit disapointed that the second season of Ah My Goddess wasn't mentioned, but 5cm is a good plaster to help heal the wound. Anime Legends should be..........legend :wink:

Code Geass Season 2

The R1 prices - four releases - aren't tempting, so I might actually go in for this. I more than likely won't, though, because it'd cost at least £60, and R2 isn't worth that much. Sad but true.

Anime Legends line of DVD releases being considered bringing older titles back to the UK and releasing older anime that never made it to the UK.

Too slow. And even with the currency as it is, it'll probably still be cheaper to import AL sets.

Fate/Stay Night (Jan)

Considering it's possible to import a complete box set for £20, with all six original Geneon discs included, does anyone with a brain really give a toss? No, didn't think so.

Romeo x Juliet (Feb)

It's been years since I put this on-hold, or at least it feels this way.

I'm not sure what the R1 situation is like, but either way slow is slow. And MVM will more than likely release singles, for added lulz.

Rosen Maiden (Mar)

Fast. So fast in fact that I own both it and its sequel already.

No confirmed release dates
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Wonderful: the ONE thing I rate highly and don't own already has no set date. And it'll probably have to go through the single release shite before there's a box set.

**** off, MVM.

Manga Entertainment
New Releases

D.Gray-Man starting in Q1 2010
Soul Eater will start streaming in early 2010 with DVD release being
Sky Crawlers on DVD/Blu-Ray (May)

/Scar voive

Oh goodie; shounen trash AND an Oshii film. Manga now just want I want to spend money on.

****s.

Box Sets

Claymore
Darker Than Black
Oshii collection

Yeah, you just go straight-ahead and release those box sets ASAP to reward your 'single' buyers. Why not.

As for a possible Oshii collection, I can barely contain my joy.

Naruto will finish on series 9 in Apr with the final series consisting of one part
Naruto: Shippuden will be starting in early June, will be uncut and will more than likely be broken up in a similar way to Naruto Unleashed.

Your (Manga) early Naruto dubtitle ****-ups made me go R1. And Shippuden is a bastardization of the manga.

I'm, like, sooooooooooo excited. -_-

Back