Exciting line-up at the Sci-Fi London anime all-nighter

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Sci-Fi London has announced it's annual anime all-nighter, and this year the line-up is especially enticing.

Beginning on Sat 5th May at 11.45pm and running through to 8.30am the following morning, the schedule includes GHOST IN THE SHELL: Solid State Society, PAPRIKA, LE CHEVALIER D'EON, HIGHLANDER: Search for Vengence and FULL METAL ALCHEMIST: Conqueror of Shamballa. For more information, head on over the official website- it's advised that you book early, the event sold out "within 10 days last year".

What a nice little event,

With DJs, goodie bags, Redbull and Purbeck ice-cream, prize giveaways and, of course, great movies join us on a trip through time and space, from reality to the scariest parts of the mind. From Midnight til 9am.

Prizes, ice cream and energy drinks. Should be a fun night for those attending.

Thanks for the heads-up, I've just booked tickets :lol:
Looking forward to seeing Paprika and GITS:SSS mostly, but it'll be cool to see FMA again as well.

Wish I could go but London is to far away and I am on night shifts anyway that night, I would have loved to have seen GITS SSS

Wow thanks for the info, i have just booked my ticket! I am really looking forward to seeing paprika and was suprised that they are showing gits sss. I wonder if it will be subbed or dubbed? I bet that is going to be one funky smelling cinema at the end of the night!

Surely all will be in original language with subtitles, right? I was just about to book my ticket when I read mbygones's post and now I'm wondering!

RichB06 said:
Surely all will be in original language with subtitles, right? I was just about to book my ticket when I read mbygones's post and now I'm wondering!
There is no reason why they all should be presented in such a fashion. Highlander has a dub cast, I am fairly sure, FMA and Chevalie certainly have a dubs and GitS and Paprika are extremely likely to have been dubbed by then, too.

Gawyn said:
RichB06 said:
There is no reason why they all should be presented in such a fashion. Highlander has a dub cast, I am fairly sure, FMA and Chevalie certainly have a dubs and GitS and Paprika are extremely likely to have been dubbed by then, too.
I went last year and all the films were subbed, much to the delight of the fanboys. (8 hours solid of reading subs in a darkened room is a bad idea in my opinion, but whatever...)

Highlander might be in English if it was made to an English script, like Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust was, but otherwise I'd guess that they'll all be subbed.

Ushio said:
8 hours solid of reading subs in a darkened room is a bad idea in my opinion, but whatever...
I'd rather enjoy it in it's original language than wonder what i'm missing with the dub. Well on a first viewing anyway.

I asked the lady at the ticket office before I booked, and the cinema manager called me back later (as she didn't know) to tell me that they're all subbed with the exception of Highlander which is in English.

I very much doubt I'd have bothered going if they were all dubbed into English; it's never the same from my point of view 8)

Personally this would depend if i was enjoying the film or not. I could sit through all the subs if the film was interesting and i was enjoying myself but if it wasn't i would either fall asleep or take a stroll outside for some fresh air.

I'm all for subs/dubs what have you, but i don't belive in watching something just for the sake of it.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ushio said:
8 hours solid of reading subs in a darkened room is a bad idea in my opinion, but whatever...
I'd rather enjoy it in it's original language than wonder what i'm missing with the dub. Well on a first viewing anyway.
I'm not fussed by the whole duv v sub thing. I was just commenting on the physical practicality of having to maintain the focus for reading for so long (potential eye-strain issues for some as well).

When it hits 5am and there's still another 3 hours to go, things start to become a struggle in paying any sort of attention, let alone maintain consciousness. (half the audience fell seemed to be asleep come the last film :lol: )

Meh, it doens't bother me as I can deal with it. Done it before and will do it again - bring it! :twisted:

I think I'll be going again this year - I've yet to experience any FMA and Paprika is definitely worth a second viewing (especially since nobody has decided when the DVD is out). GitS SSS is the clincher though - I think the combination of the visuals and more Yoko Kanno musical goodness means it'll be excellent on the big screen.

By the way guys, you won't necessarily need to book accomodation either - last time I got the train into London and went home the following morning. Perfect! 8)

Sorry to double-post but if anyone is still interested be warned that the tickets are selling out FAST. I booked mine at lunchtime today and the seats in the middle areas were already gone. I have a spot near the back but it's in the larger screen so I'm not complaining!

Just got home from the anime allnighter. I personally really enjoyed it. The highlight of the night had to be Paprika, that was absolutely fantastic. It was nice that it got a round of applause at the end.

Highlander though was a bit of a joke. That had to have some of the worst dialogue i have heard in a long time! The way he kept saying his name, who did he think he was James bond? That also had to be up there for worst dub they seemed to change accents every other scene!

I was a bit let down by gits - solid state society. It wasn't a bad film by a long shot, but i just felt it had average written all over it.

So what did anybody else think?

Back