EVANGELION: 1.11, 2.22, 3.33 & 3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME Now Streaming on Amazon Prime with New English Dubs

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
All four films in Hideaki Anno's Rebuild of Evangelion film tetralogy series are now available to stream exclusively on Amazon Prime in multiple audio and subtitle languages.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I'm only seeing English [cc] as a subtitle option for 1.11. Is this the case for anyone else?
Yes. The translated subtitles for 1.11 have been removed by Khara due to an unspecified "technical issue".

This being Prime Video and how bad it is as a platform I don't expect it to ever be rectified.

Yes. The translated subtitles for 1.11 have been removed by Khara due to an unspecified "technical issue".

This being Prime Video and how bad it is as a platform I don't expect it to ever be rectified.
If it's Khara that pulled it, maybe they will supervise subs being added back? And I persoanlly dont think prime Video that bad of a platform - they paid for a license and all, they should be interested in fixing the issue

If it's Khara that pulled it, maybe they will supervise subs being added back? And I persoanlly dont think prime Video that bad of a platform - they paid for a license and all, they should be interested in fixing the issue
I'm afraid Prime Video are every bit that bad of a platform, at least when it comes to quality control over language options. A few years back I inquired why the Hong Kong movie "Dragon", which I had signed up to their MGM channel subscription to watch, had the original language for audio but no English subtitles. I was informed that this was purely at the content provider's disgression and, essentially, that they had no intention of doing any kind of following-up to try and rectify it to make the film actually watchable to an English-speaking audience.

Additionally, if like me, you watch a decent amount of the old-school 70s/80s Italian fare they have available you come to realise quickly that it's total luck whether you get an english dub, an Italian dub with English subtitles or, most commonly, a bizarre mash-up of English and Italian dialogue with no subtitles on any of it. They also often license HK films where I know fine well English & Chinese audio is available from the licensor, but they only make one or the other available, with the choice seemingly being completely random.

Don't get me wrong, I love the service precisely because they show so many obscure titles like those that you wouldn't get on any other platform. But the reason they have so many films like that in the first place is because they have absolutely zero concern for quality control, unlike Netflix, blu-ray licensing companies etc who'll only take things they can guarantee at least serviceable audio and picture quality for.

tldr - the subs coming back in this case is almost certainly down to whether Khara bother to restore them or not, Prime won't do anything.

unlike Netflix, blu-ray licensing companies etc who'll only take things they can guarantee at least serviceable audio and picture quality for.
Netflix are identical when it comes to foreign language titles. As long as there's a bad dub then they don't need decent subs and there's quite a few shows on Netflix I've avoided because they only have closed captioned subs

Best thing I've read all day

Anyway.....

I might have to get an Amazon sub to watch the 4 movies with the new dub

Anyone know if all are going to get a Bluray re-release for 1~3 with the Amazon Dub or if 3+1 will get a Funimation dub.

Anyone know if all are going to get a Bluray re-release for 1~3 with the Amazon Dub or if 3+1 will get a Funimation dub.
Honestly it's pretty messy at the moment. Funimation still has the home video rights for 1.11, 2.22 & 3.33, though it sounds like 1.11 is out of print completely so the rights for that film may have reverted back to Khara at this point.

As for 3.0+1.01, Anime Ltd is mentioned in the credits but that's probably nothing. Either way, I can see Khara giving the Rebuild films to both Anime Ltd & GKIDS in the future once Japan sorts out a Blu-ray release which I presume is either late 2021 or early 2022.

Regarding the dubs, I reckon the Amazon dub will take priority from here on.

Best thing I've read all day

Anyway.....

I might have to get an Amazon sub to watch the 4 movies with the new dub

Look higher in the thread -the English subs for 1.11 aren’t there. That’s what my post was about :) Might be added later, so don’t subscribe right away if subs are that important to you .

as for blu rays - don’t count on it. Amazon doesn’t even have rights to produce a blu ray release, as far as I’m aware of

Back