Eternal Sonata and other RPGs for the 360!

cardybean

Student Council President
Konichiwa.

I'm buying a new console shortly after christmas, I was originally debating between a 360 and an Wii. But now I think I'm pretty set on a 360.

Thing is though, the only RPG games I can find are Eternal Sonata and PSU. What are they like? Because from experience, reviews aren't a 'reliable' source.

Are there any others?

Meh, I dunno what I'm even trying to get from this topic :p, maybe just some info on what the 360 is actually like for RPG style games.

Cheers:/.

While not strictly a RPG there is Mass Effect which combines elements from RPG and 3rd person shooters and is done by the RPG powerhouse Bioware. There is also Blue Dragon.

Eternal Sonata is a really good game in my opinion, although the story isn't the best, the theme is amazing. Its based within a french pianoist's mind as he lays on his death bed, the theme is of course music and its put so well into the world. The combat is a nice twist as well with enemies changing powers and sometimes shapes in the shadow or light. Blue dragon I can't say because I don't own it, but I heard it was a let down. PSU is bad.

Jayme said:
There is Blue Dragon, Which looks nice and all, But apparently is uberly bad.

No, it's not a bad game. It's fun, pretty, with good music, but overall unmemorable. In my opinion. But it's definately worth buying, you'll get a good experience out of it.

Roadie said:
Eternal Sonata is a really good game in my opinion, although the story isn't the best, the theme is amazing. Its based within a french pianoist's mind as he lays on his death bed, the theme is of course music and its put so well into the world. The combat is a nice twist as well with enemies changing powers and sometimes shapes in the shadow or light. Blue dragon I can't say because I don't own it, but I heard it was a let down. PSU is bad.

I argee, it really is a good game, plus one of the very few RPGs i've been able to complete (due to various reasons). I actually liked the story, despite the ending did run on a bit and at times did seem like an lecture. I also never saw that final boss battle coming :p

The best RPG you can find for the 360 at the moment depends on what kind of RPG you're looking for. Now if you're one of those gamers who only play J-RPGs then you can choose between Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon. My personal recommendation out of those two would be Eternal Sonata, as it's a little more fresh compared to Mystwalker's game which tries sticking to a tried and tested formula.

Now if you don't mind western RPGs, you should definitely be checking out BioWare's Mass Effect. The battle system plays out much like a third person shooter, and aside from some glitches that may or may not be a problem for you, this game is the RPG that will be most epic. So Eternal Sonata for traditional Japanese RPG, Mass Effect for a more interesting western RPG.

Nah...me neither. I'd say it's more of an adventure, with (sub-UN) fighting tacked on.

Enchanted Arms is a decent (but nothing special) 360 RPG...you can probably get it really cheap now too.

Nemphtis said:
The best RPG you can find for the 360 at the moment depends on what kind of RPG you're looking for. Now if you're one of those gamers who only play J-RPGs then you can choose between Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon. My personal recommendation out of those two would be Eternal Sonata, as it's a little more fresh compared to Mystwalker's game which tries sticking to a tried and tested formula.

Now if you don't mind western RPGs, you should definitely be checking out BioWare's Mass Effect. The battle system plays out much like a third person shooter, and aside from some glitches that may or may not be a problem for you, this game is the RPG that will be most epic. So Eternal Sonata for traditional Japanese RPG, Mass Effect for a more interesting western RPG.

I grew up on FF, basically, although even though it's from JP, I guess it's not a JRPG huh? Erm, I like any RPG that is an RPG... Not one of theme lame shoot em' ups that tried to conjure success by sticking some RPG elements in, or one of these crappy FF spin-offs lol.

I like something that comes with emotional attachment, lots of character development a large addiction factor! Story doesn't matter so much, 'cause I rarely pay attention anyway, only I have done to if FFX.

And yeah, Naruto is kind'a suck too, although it's hilarious on Live...

Hmm, I dunno, I mean, I want 360-- But I heart SSBB has a level editor... Which is making me have second thoughts.

Meh.

Thanks for help btw :p.

BlackWolf said:
Taylor said:
Isnt there some Naruto based RPG game out at the moment? Cant remember what its called.

You mean Naruto: Rise of a Ninja? I wouldn't call it an RPG though

Oh i heard it was an RPG, i havent played it yet. I gotta borrow my mates 360 then rent it out lol.

If you rarely pay attention to story and want something similar to Final Fantasy in terms of gameplay mechanics then I imagine Blue Dragon won't disappoint you. Based on your response, you may not want to bother with Mass Effect and make a choice between Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata.

Back