Emo Anime

harkins

Adventurer
I have a hankering for an emotionally draining anime to watch. Can anyone suggest something that will satiate my craving for feeling a bit down?

I guess I’m looking for the anime equivalent of a Smiths album, but a happy and uplifting ending is fine so long as it’s not visible a mile off.

If you haven't seen it I'd recommend the Now and Then Here and There boxset which is region 1 but can be purchased from a provider here on Amazon uk.

Ta for those suggestions, I'll check some out.

I've actually seen Elfen Lied which was rather moving at the end and Gunslinger Girls which was a little disappointing in respect of that I was expecting to have to have my belt and shoe laces confiscated but actually only felt mildly sad. (Great series though!) Watching NGE at the moment, only on episode 12 so not too sad yet but certainly brilliant.

Sorry about saying 'emo', I'm not too fond of it myself as I once broke up with someone because she went all emo on me. I hate Evanescence and Linkin Park!!

Welcome to the NHK is mostly light but has several dark moments and every character has some kind of mental health problem. Certainly a good one if you're comfortable with laughing at yourself.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya features some characters fed up with their world and a bit of feeling sorry for themselves. It's pretty light as well though.

Linkin Park arn't an emo band are they? I thought they were nu-metal! I hate music :roll:

AIR. One of the most emotional anime I've watched. It's emotional right through but the ending just totally takes the series to another level.

Later My-HiME episodes are quite emotionally charged aswell.

I watched the first episode of AIR and just found it I dunno... boring. The guy - sorry I can't remember any of their names - was an ****, the girl was annoyingly stupid. Does anything happen later that makes it worth sticking with after the 1st episode?

Well as nobody else seems to have mentioned it, I will. If you havn't already seen it, how about Chrono Crusade? It's a fantastic anime but it's got one of the saddest endings ever and is the anime that took me closest to suicide than anything else has 'ever' done. :cry:

(OK, as other that have read my thread from a long, long time ago - and moreover can actually be arsed to remember what was written in it, :wink: - may remember, I watched almost the entire series back to back whilst suffering slightly from depression and having just changed over to a different type of migraine medication. Half one in the morning and a 34 year old bloke's skriking like a newborn baby. Not nice. )

Even now, I can't even think about a certain scene in the last episode without getting really upset. God, How sad am I? :roll:

Stainboy said:
Linkin Park arn't an emo band are they? I thought they were nu-metal! I hate music :roll:

Anything with guitars seems to count as emo these days. Many pop songs by people like Busted are far more emo than MCR, Used, etc.

Reading through all these suggestions has made me realise just how many involving anime series there are. It’s such a shame that the vast majority of people don’t know this and dismiss anime as kids cartoons. I’ve not seen much on TV that has had me gripped or emotionally involved in the way many an anime series has done.

My friends think I’m having one of my ‘turns’ by getting into anime (or manga as they call it), but they don’t know what they’re missing out on. You just can’t help fools.

Given that I’m currently watching NGE and have Chrono Crusade (a suggestion that surprised me) to watch next I guess I’m ok for good emotional series' for a while.

Back