Eden of the East

Ammish

Stand User
I've been looking forward to this, far more than Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood this season. But I wanna watch it when it's quiet, as my brother has the TV on loud -_-

Amazing, that's all I can say so far about the first episode. I loved the OP, but the ED just makes my mind boggle at the complexity. Certainly the best ED animation I've seen for many, many years!

I knew the show was going to be good with the names behind it, and the first ep did NOT disappoint. Expect it to be the best of the season.

I've watched the first episode.

God, I haven't had much enjoyment watching this since... well, for nearly a year. Even when I was impressed with White Album, it didn't give me as much enjoyment as Eden of the East did. It's far by the best first episode of this season. Forget best of the season, best of the year more like.

Also, it seems that everyone speaks english except the two main characters, since it's set in America and actually used English actors for the english-speaking characters. You also get one line of english from the girl herself.

At least judged by the opening episode this is the best series I've started watching this season.

Hard to say where things go from here, but it has an agreeable mix of intrigue and humour so far. Visually I was impressed too, I.G's high standards are evident in almost every area, even the stopframe ending sequence is awesome.

..And yes, no Engrish - I'm so glad they went to the trouble of getting the right accents and pronunciations in there, it makes all the difference to the settings believability.

just finished episode 1

Animation: 10/10
Story: 8/10
Characthers: 9/10
Music: 10/10
Voice Acting: 9/10
Subs: 8/10 (on the version i watched, they were a bit slow at the start)

Overall - 9/10

i look forward to episode 2!

The first episode was rather special. I don't often watch fansubs but the positive reaction both here and at ANN convinced me to give it a shot. I was hugely impressed by the quality of the backgrounds and animation -- but this is often the case with first episodes. Still, IG often turn out some very good looking work, and Kamiyama is a fantastic director, so I remain optimistic that a similar level of quality will be sustained over the course of the series. What I enjoyed most of all, though, was the interaction between the two lead characters, both of whom are likeable and entertaining. I even liked the OP song, and I haven't paid any attention to Oasis since 1997!

Also, the original character designs are by Chika Umino, mangaka of Honey and Clover, which explains the similarity.

It was nice, until I saw the cab. I'm almost 100% sure it was CGI! None of it please!

But yeah, apart from that it was pretty fascinating.

Derfel said:
It was nice, until I saw the cab. I'm almost 100% sure it was CGI! None of it please!

The CGI isn't hard to spot, but for the most part I think Production IG manage that sort of thing pretty well. It fits with the style, plus I doubt they would be able to do things on the same scale without it.

Compared to some other efforts I've seen it could be far worse. At least it's worlds away from something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxPjUo5-cI

Wildcard said:
Compared to some other efforts I've seen it could be far worse. At least it's worlds away from something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxPjUo5-cI

Oh my. That truly fails.

fabricatedlunatic said:
All the cars are CG, and I also think it looks fine. I'd much rather that than static images of vehicles or IG wasting budget traditionally animating them.

When it comes to CGI I ar le conservatard, so I'd rather have stickmen than CGI.

Derfel said:
When it comes to CGI I ar le conservatard, so I'd rather have stickmen than CGI.
That used to be my position. But as Wildcard says, studios like IG and Bones integrate their CG animation more or less seamlessly, and it no longer bothers me when used for incidental things.

I have to say I was incredibly impressed with the opening episode, both the intriguing story and the unexpected humour have given me high hopes for this series :)

I liked the first episode enough to make me want to continue with it. I can't remember the last anime to make me laugh like that, when he exposes himself to the police. Classic

Back