Early review: Texhnolyze #1

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Due out in the UK on the 13th of June, I've taken an early look at the debut volume of MVM's cerebral sci-fi series Texhnolyze.<ul class="menu">Texhnolyze #1 is a fantastic introduction to latest artistic masterwork involving Yoshitoshi ABe; eclectic, visual story telling nearing perfection. Some viewers will be disappointed in the lack of plot exposition and considerably slow moving narrative, but if you dare to allow yourself to be sucked into the bleak hell-hole of Texhnolyze, the claustrophobic, emotive atmosphere will have you glued to the screen.</ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=144">Read the full review.</a>

Texhnolyze certainly is a dark, rather unforgiving show but I wouldn't call it depressing. Watching Ichise struggle to survive while almost everyone else around him has given up is makes for some uplifting viewing. It is certainly "mature" science fiction though and some scenes are very unpleasant and disturbing. The dismemberment of a certain character is very harsh on the senses, not because of the violence involved; it's the victims screams of pain.

Music lovers should give Texhnolyze a look too. I've had the soundtrack for at least 3 months now and I'm still not tired of it.

This sounds like just the kind of show I would enjoy, unfortunately I won't be able to afford it this month, but maybe I can pick it up in July.

Animated FatCat said:
Very interesting review, and a great looking series. It all sounds a bit bleak and depressing though, doesn't it, lol.
It's all of those things but also strangely addictive. I watched it all about 3/4 months ago and it will be forever on my mind.

I've read reviews describing it as the least anime-like anime out there, which I'd say is probably true. It's certainly extremely beautiful, and I don't mind the slow pace at all.

Chomolungma said:
I've read reviews describing it as the least anime-like anime out there, which I'd say is probably true.
Alright, I'll bite. In what sense? What does anime-like even mean, given that that it's a medium that varies enormously over genres, stories, and styles? There are plenty of stereotypes, but there are also a fair number of shows that don't live up to any of them - why is this one so much more different than the rest?

For one it lacks any stereotypes; the character of Ichise is hard to compare with any other anime character I know of, especially as he is the protagonist. The city of Lux is invoked unlike any other setting I've discovered. Even the animation is Texhnolyse has this very unique quality, hard to pin down, but it gives the a more art-like look. Then there is the storyline itself; I won't spoil the series for anyone reading, but it is far removed from your typical storyline, especially in the way it's told.

The show just completely different from anything else I can think of, even work by the same director. In all the anime I have seen, I can see neither an equivalent nor a spiritual predecesor.

Having said all that, it's an anime well worth investing in, although I wouldn't recommend it to those who can't stand a slow anime.

A seriously amazing little show, I must admit the first episode left me a little nonplussed, as the following episodes brought events into sharper context I could feel myself getting sucked in. Definitely the kind of show that rewards the occasional re-watch as the story slowly unfurls and you pick up on the little details and find something new to dwell on everytime. Amazing.......I've already watched it twice since I got my copy yesterday. :)

Back