DVD/ Blu-Ray Collector Editions viable for UK release?

Neferpitou

Stand User
Do you think it is viable to release Anime DVD/ Blu-Ray Collector Edition's in the UK?

One of the main reasons why people wait for the UK instead of American release is because of the high cost of importing. But Die-Hard Anime fans will import the collectors editions regardless of the cost. Is there really a place for Collector Editions in the UK? Can collector edition only at best be just an extra release on on top of massive selling & cheaper release?

Now that I have had the capability to play both for a few years, I think my opinion on this has changed somewhat.

DVD: No. I see this as more of a cheap alternative now. All new releases should have a blu-ray I believe.

Blu-Ray: Absolutely. Blu-Rays are the ones you will be keeping for a much longer time once you buy, so having collectors editions cant hurt.

megagold5 said:
Now that I have had the capability to play both for a few years, I think my opinion on this has changed somewhat.

DVD: No. I see this as more of a cheap alternative now. All new releases should have a blu-ray I believe.

Blu-Ray: Absolutely. Blu-Rays are the ones you will be keeping for a much longer time once you buy, so having collectors editions cant hurt.
But what about re-releases of older shows? Even if I did have a BD player, I wouldn't wanna waste my money on an upscale. :(

Why not just ask UP1 and see how many copies of the KnK boxset they sold? Considering the price and the fact its a premium boxset should give you some clues on whether or not it would work in the UK if it is done in small numbers (i know there are a few on here like me who spent the £300 on KnK)

Im hoping that Manga stick with their promise regarding the Sacred Blacksmith collectors edition (otherwise i'll import it instead)

At first I thought this was going to be a topic discussing the viability of the new BD/DVD combi packs the US market is doing. When I asked Manga about this on Twitter they just said that it would be expensive.
I'm not entirely sure they realised the idea was to replace the separate BD + DVD release with just the combi pack.

With regards actual collector's editions. I don't think the UK market has a place for them if they get sold side by side the standard release. Collector's editions released a month in advance might be viable, but even Beez seems to pulling out a little. They've not had many non anime legends releases lately, and Gundam 00 S2 hasn't had so much as whiff of an art box unlike the treatment S1 got.

I do wish more releases got a collector's edition.

Zin5ki said:
Will the feasibility of Collector's Editions on Blu-Ray not be hampered by our minimal print run regulations?
Only if the contents of the disk are different. Just need to do packaging extras as the exclusive content.

I'd be willing to pay nearer Japanese prices, for what they normaly get.
£20-30 an episode is overkill, but £1-2 (current online price) is way too low
Maybe double current prices for collectors ED?

Paradox295 said:
megagold5 said:

But what about re-releases of older shows? Even if I did have a BD player, I wouldn't wanna waste my money on an upscale. :(

I dunno, all the upscales I have seen so far have looked substantially better than what I would expect from DVD...And its not like they cost much more, maybe a couple of quid.

I think as you say, it's the diehards that buy the collectors and they're already importing, so I think that for the most part, No: They're not that viable.

Plus some people just don't want extraneous stuff with their DVDs. I love movies of all sorts and I've only ever bought 1 collector's edition and that was for Inception.

Back