Durarara single dvds

Shiroi Hane said:
bakum4tsu said:
House of the five leaves have the same look as durarara cases?? Maybe thats why its so expensive though it just 13 episodes i guess
Being sub-only doesn't help.

Sorry but i cant understand the way it works.

So... if it doesnt have dub then its more expensive?? Since they didnt pay for making dub and didnt spent money on that, shouldnt it being cheaper?

Can anyone explain it to me the reason behind that?

bakum4tsu said:
Sorry but i cant understand the way it works.

So... if it doesnt have dub then its more expensive?? Since they didnt pay for making dub and didnt spent money on that, shouldnt it being cheaper?

Can anyone explain it to me the reason behind that?

I can! Because it's sub-only, it will probably never get into high street shops, and will only sell a small number of copies. Therefore, to make the DVD run profitable, they have to sell that small number of copies at a higher price than normal, just to make the same amount of money back.

To make things more complicated, the UK companies don't actually pay much (or in fact anything, if Manga is to be believed...) for dubs, so to them there's no cost difference in releasing a dual-language or a sub-only disc. The only difference is the number of buyers who would be interested, and it's widely believed that sub-only will always sell poorly in the UK. In the case of House of Five Leaves, it's sufficiently non-mainstream to begin with that it probably didn't make a big difference, and there's no English dub abroad either.

And yes, it uses the same pretty fold-out cardboard packaging as Durarara!!.

R

Yes i know the dubs are us companies who do it usually so even with that...

But i understand. People actually buy it for the dub audio?? Even if my main lang was english i think i would never see anime with it. Anime its supposed the be saw with jap audio, no matter how good the dub could be.

Though i dont blame who see it in english.

Thnks for the answers Rui. :)

bakum4tsu said:
People actually buy it for the dub audio??
For myself, if there an english dub available, I would wait to buy a dub release even if I had originally watch the series subbed. I guess I feel somewhat cheated if I don't have the option available for a series that does in America.

I bought two copies of Durarara at HMV... for £35 each.
I had a bit of spare money for once and told myself that if they actually had it, I would buy it. Wasn't expecting to pay £70 on it though....

Still don't have the third volume.

Shiroi Hane said:
I bought two copies of Durarara at HMV... for £35 each.
I had a bit of spare money for once and told myself that if they actually had it, I would buy it. Wasn't expecting to pay £70 on it though....

Still don't have the third volume.

Sheesh...

I shelled out £80 for Durarara on import, and I thought that was pretty steep, the sort of price that I used to pay when singles ruled the world.

Is it just me, or is it that everytime I decide to venture into an HMV, it's closed down? HMV stores are becoming an endangered species.

We have two HMVs here, the original one that has been there for years and one that is only there intermittently.
I remember when we also had MVC, Virgin and a DVD and Music branch of Woolworths.
While MVC was open I usually shopped there since, with a free membership card, you got a pound off everything so their DVDs were £19 rather than £20. There was also that marvellous occasion when they had Hellsing box sets for £15 on release day - when they should have been £50 ;)
I also remember paying £21 for one volume of Angelic Layer in Virgin, which is over the RRP, as they were the only store that had it and I wanted it right away.

Just Passing Through said:
Is it just me, or is it that everytime I decide to venture into an HMV, it's closed down? HMV stores are becoming an endangered species.

I have that problem too. For all Manga says HMV are a critically important customer for them, it's impossible to find one that's still trading around these parts. Three have abruptly shut with no warning in quick succession; they were all terribly stocked though and only carried the big hits (alongside Justin Bieber t-shirts), none of which never seemed to sell.

MVC was a cool chain, I miss them. Where I lived at the time I enjoyed touring all of the different media shops in town to get the best deals on mediocre fare like dubbed Tenchi Muyou tapes. Unthinkable nowadays!

R

HMV did have it rough before Christmas and the Christmas season would have made or broke the company. According to my brother who works at the Picadilly Circus branch, they company is apparently safe for another 7 years.

The entire downstairs of Leeds HMV seems to have turned into half a Comet and half a Topshop (plus an Orange phone shop) in a desperate bid for survival. Where once music occupied 80% of the space, it's now closer to 8%, which in turn has driven away anyone who wants to find anything not in the chart or a little less mainstream. The anime section is pathetically small and so overpriced I can't honestly believe anyone ever buys anything from it.

They can blame on-line shopping for the demise of the high street all they like, but the high street isn't even trying to compete. And that's not the fault of the retailers - with overpriced rents and sky-high rates there's little they can do. If people who own commercial property want to sustain a viable business into the future, high street rents need to come down. Otherwise the number of shops disappearing will simply start driving them down.

Yeah HMV basically died and was revived on the way to the morgue, so that would explain why you kept on seeing the shops closing. Will be interesting to see how long they really manage to last this time.

ayase - they also need to stop providing the exact same experience that I get from online stores ie. random browsing and adding things to my basket before paying and leaving. There are B&M stores I prefer to use over the internet, but these are the ones that provide a high level of customer service, employ knowledgeable staff, etc.

I just got Durarara vol 1, looking forward to watching it but like others findign ti hard to get some of the volumes for a decent price. Great looking set though.

Only anime I;ve ever bought from HMV was the Haibane Renmei fatpack set. Was a spur of the moment purchase (I'd never heard of the series at the time) and even though I probably paid way over the amazon price (£40 I think) I loved it so much I didn't mind. It's still one of my fave sets. I've noticed they tend to sell some of the Manga sets and movies for a reasonable price, but most of their prices are shocking.

Back