Dragon's Dogma

Cathe

Great Teacher
If there's already a thread for this just merge or delete this one. I did look a bit.

Anyways is anybody excited for Dragon's Dogma? I've been following this one for a while now and it's release day is getting quite close (end of may).

I love the idea of the pawn system and this looks like it will keep me amused as there isn't much else i'm interested in gaming-wise this year.

Preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCiV4LOYk4

About pawns - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdXSQiZ_Xpo

It does look neat, I intend to give it a rent, I'd love to like it enough to buy because then I'd get a code for early RE6 demo download lol. Capcom recently said they want DD to sell 10 million copies, which is frankly, laughable. It's an unknown title, with therefore unproven pedigree, so the odds of it selling anywhere near that high is pretty low...

Halo 3 only sold 8 million and Smash Bros Melee 7 million... hell Resident Evil 5 only sold near 6 million.

Also, while there is no thread for DD this could probably go in the general games discussion thread, as I don't see it branching off into a large enough topic like Pokemon or Skyrim, but it's welcome to its own one if you want =).

I'm gonna say it'll sell 3 million tops and even then I feel I'm pushing it. It will definitely get a boost from the RE6 demo.

Lupus said:
I'm gonna say it'll sell 3 million tops and even then I feel I'm pushing it. It will definitely get a boost from the RE6 demo.

They were smart to have it be a code rather than on disc, otherwise people would rent and return it. Still, I doubt even that will be enough to drive sales that much, since it's not exclusive access, only early access by a coupla months.

That said the game does look good, so maybe it will surprise us?

It's huge going from the map and the preview video. A lot of people don't seem happy about there not being any co-op. Since you always have 1 main pawn with you, I suppose they could have included fable style co-op. I love my single player games though so i'm happy enough.

I do quite like the idea of sharing pawns though! Having that addition sounds good. It probably could have done with more advertising though. I only heard about it through the s/s romance discussion thread on BioWare forums. Haha.

RE6 demo should be good to see too. I'm a bit iffy about those games nowadays so a demo to try it out first will be good!

Demo is up on xbox live, up on psn tomorrow.

2 'levels' in the demo, very short. Showing off the combat rather than exploration. Large enemies can be climbed on and smaller enemies can be picked up and thrown. Hehe.

Character creation is best i've seen yet on a game. Hairstyles are shared between genders so females can have short spikey hair, males can have long feminine hair. There's also a boob slider for females! It's a very detailed character creator and the demo has the full options available.

Reviews say it's basically a Japanese Skyrim because of the open world exploration but the combat is much better I think. Try it out!

Edit: Apologies for double post. Computer is being a bit spacky today.

Cathe said:
Demo is up on xbox live, up on psn tomorrow.

2 'levels' in the demo, very short. Showing off the combat rather than exploration. Large enemies can be climbed on and smaller enemies can be picked up and thrown. Hehe.

Character creation is best i've seen yet on a game. Hairstyles are shared between genders so females can have short spikey hair, males can have long feminine hair. There's also a boob slider for females! It's a very detailed character creator and the demo has the full options available.

Reviews say it's basically a Japanese Skyrim because of the open world exploration but the combat is much better I think. Try it out!

Edit: Apologies for double post. Computer is being a bit spacky today.

You made my heart race for a second when you said "demo" right after talking about RE6 lol. But that's cool I've give it a try later, I was intrigued by DD even before the RE6 biz, but now it's given me a reason to try and like it all the more :p

Gave it a go today, I agree with Cathe that the character customisation is very good (though not the most detailed I've seen, you need to play Saints Row 2 Cathe :p); the simpler style of customisation is great, allowing for depth in the engine without necessitating hours of tweaking and I like that you can customise your companion too, it's a subtle way of getting you to care more about them. You created them, their character and appearance, therefore you're going to feel more protective of them than some random guy joining your party.

The combat was fairly simple, but it was still fun, I prefered the Griffin level, as the bow and knives combo seems more fun than sword and shield. I hope there's the option to use magic later on though, I always dig magic powers :p. I like that each creature seemed to have different areas to damage (the chimera has the 3 heads: snake, lion and goat) and the grab system is pretty neat too.

I think I may well buy it once it's out, seems like it will be a fun ride. It's also cool that the demo wll let you import your character to the main game too (at least that was the implication). SR3's demo let you do that too, but you had to upload it to their website for all and sundry rather than a straight demo>game which is what DD seems to imply.

edit: Oh, apparently there's also armour based on the "Berserk" anime, if that's not been mentioned already http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... tion-goods

Sparrowsabre7 said:
edit: Oh, apparently there's also armour based on the "Berserk" anime, if that's not been mentioned already
I actually didn't know that! I had been ignoring this game a bit, slightly more interested now.

This game looks good, been wanting something like this for years.

I don't see why people are comparing it to Skyrim though, I think it's closer to Baldur's Gate crossed with Fable if anything.

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
edit: Oh, apparently there's also armour based on the "Berserk" anime, if that's not been mentioned already
I actually didn't know that! I had been ignoring this game a bit, slightly more interested now.

You get Griffiths and Guts' armor sets in game. Was announced a couple months back i believe, both of which look pretty cool.

I've played the demo, mucked about a fair bit with the character customisation as well. There is a good amount thrown in there, it's quite mad. Sure, it hasn't got the scaling bit like in ME/bioware titles, but it's enough in it's own right when you consider the fact that it takes height and weight into how your character actually plays. Controls are nice too, and the combat is fairly good fun. I'm looking forward to it, have to say.

I'm loving the grab system in game, looks pretty awesome The pawn system looks pretty interesting too, I'm expecting to see all your pawns =D

I read "Also kind of annoyed that Cam’s stomach is exposed since I didn’t want to sexualise her, but none of the current underclothing is any good stat-wise >=(" and was none the wiser. :p

But seriously, I still couldn't tell how much you liked it.

ilmaestro said:
I read "Also kind of annoyed that Cam’s stomach is exposed since I didn’t want to sexualise her, but none of the current underclothing is any good stat-wise >=(" and was none the wiser. :p

But seriously, I still couldn't tell how much you liked it.

Well, there are other posts about it under that tag where I go into much further detail, but ok :p

Basically I love it, it's much more action game with stats than rpg, though that may turn some off, it's exactly what I'm looking for in a game. It reminds me a lot of Red Dead Redemption, in that much of the enjoyment comes from the journey to and from locations and the stuff that happens on the way, meeting strangers, monsters and the like. You could get diverted for hours exploring a cave, but it would still be worthwhile because you'd find a new monster or a rare item or something.

It also feels legitimately dangerous at times, when you confront over-levelled foes or ones simply ill-suited to be fought with your skillset (e.g. phantoms are only hurt by magic, so you're ****** if your party is all warriors and striders (bow and knife wielding class))

It's refreshing how little is locked to you, but merely blocked by foes you can't beat yet, but DD doesn't stop you from trying. You can even just run past them, explore and escape again.

In short, I'm having a ball and am 10 hours in already. The only thing some people might have a big issue with is that te story is barebones, but I personally think it works. In a real life situation events do not unfold immediately upon completion of a single task, it's much more spread out and the story unravels over time, giving the illusion of unlinearity.

I guess the easy way to be completely wrong but kind of be right is to say a cross between Dark Souls and Skyrim? I still didn't buy DIII yet, so this still has an outside chance of being purchased.

ilmaestro said:
I guess the easy way to be completely wrong but kind of be right is to say a cross between Dark Souls and Skyrim? I still didn't buy DIII yet, so this still has an outside chance of being purchased.

Yeeeeeeeergh. That's been the most popular double comparison, but having played neither I can't say for sure if it's warranted. It doesn't seem like it's as hard as DS (for one thing I can play it and not want to kick my xbox, which is something I see happening if I played DS :p) and it's more actiony than Skyrim from what I've heard. It's basically a game of its own with a sprinkling of many influences here and there. I'd try the demo if nothing else, then you'll get a feel for the combat at least, though not the exploration or the wider range of classes beyond strider and warrior, though if you don't like the combat then the rest probably won't change your mind.

Back