Dragonball \ DBZ - deserving of respect?

I still have to see some of DB, i bought the first 2 manga books when they first came out from Gollancz, and i read the first chapter, and it was rather strange :/ totally different from virtually everything i have ever seen. This isn't a bad thing at all, and i can't wait to read more when i have some time :O

The only bit of DB i saw, was in a hotel room lol, coz i didn't have Sky at home (well i got it a few months ago, so most of my lif ei haven't had sky O>O). Anyway, the bit that stuck in my mind, as was quite disturbing when i saw it, (i was only about 5 it must have been lol). It was whenI think it was Cell (he was a big green monster man lol, and he sucked up this poor little lady into his tail!!!!, it was one of the most..hmm i don't know how to put it, but it was something nothing like anythng i had ever seen, a bit like Moomins had the same impact :O. It has stuck in my mind ever since, and i've always wanted to see more!.
I've seen odd clips of it here and there at hotels and freinds' houses.

People already know my views of bashing things, so i don't need to explain again ^>^.

I can't wait until it finally gets released over here! (hopefully in un-cut box set form from MVM :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
DaNiMé said:
Anyway, the bit that stuck in my mind, as was quite disturbing when i saw it, (i was only about 5 it must have been lol). It was whenI think it was Cell (he was a big green monster man lol, and he sucked up this poor little lady into his tail!!!!, it was one of the most..hmm i don't know how to put it, but it was something nothing like anythng i had ever seen, a bit like Moomins had the same impact :O.
In the manga and the uncut anime... the times when he does that is, well, kinda gross. You actually see these poor people get their insides sucked out until only the skin remains.

Also, in the manga,
a couple of people get their heads crushed or blown off... usually innocent citizens of some city. In one particular chapter, Buu grabs Babadi by the neck and crushes it... resulting in his head popping clean off (or rather... not so "clean" really :lol: ).

It's amazing when you realise how much violent stuff is actually removed from the series. It's crazy.

I love dragonball z, it was the 2nd anime i really got into (the first being pokemon)and have all the budokai games on ps2(which are probably the best fighting games I have played) and some of the graphic novels. It was annoying how it took so long for new episodes to reach our TV's but it was worth it just to see the rest of the great series ^_-. It was a shame that the uncut version wasn't shown though, that would have been brill ^_^

I don't see how an extended amount of violence can make the series any better. I know there are plenty of complaints about the edited versions, but the movies were dubbed as literally as possible. Sometimes editing can be a good thing :wink:

Melainy said:
I don't see how an extended amount of violence can make the series any better. I know there are plenty of complaints about the edited versions, but the movies were dubbed as literally as possible. Sometimes editing can be a good thing :wink:
I wasn't implying that it did... I was just making the point that a hell of a lot had been cut from the original manga.

Melainy said:

I watched one movie and Piccolo was called 'Big-Green' ... No Comment. :lol:

Melainy said:

I agree.

If it wasn't given the exposure to such a wide (and consequently) much younger audience thanks to the edits, then I would probably never have seen the show. Besides, things like cutting cigarettes out of peoples mouths and shading the beer in to look like water really doesn’t bother me, and I don’t need to see Kuririn being bobbed up and down on Freeza’s head to know where the horn went. I think the only time I ever consciously spotted an edit was when Yamucha suddenly had a gaping hole in his shirt (from when the Android rips his hand through it), which made me wonder a little. It doesn’t affect the overall impact of the show… And if you’ve got a flare for the sadistic, I guess it makes finding out about the cuts and admiring them is just another thing you can do when it comes to Dragonball... But you're probably better off with shows that cater exclusively for that kind of thing...

hey i was wondering i searched for some dragonball z and if it was coming back on toonami but no luck, then i found this site and saw this topic...well my main questions would be.

are toonami uk every going to air dragonball z again?
does anyone know why they took it off in the first place?

its really weird how you take something for granted untill its gone... i really miss it now...first anime i ever watched, at first my cusions used to watch it and i thought it was stupid (i never really watched more then 5 mins of it then) then one night i saw it on t.v and saw goku fighting and was like wicked!

and that was like 4 years ago on cartoon network...

sigh how i miss the good days, i hope someone can answer my questions,

i also sent them a e-mail but never got a responce, if anyone has the number for toonami uk could they post it? i would so phone them and ask about it...

anyway thanks for reading and i hope someone can answer

Personally I used to like Dragonball... And DBZ, it was the very first manga I started to collect...

Akira Toryama created a new style for anime, and his work is followed from many other series... (Think as Naruto...)

Speaking of the manga I enjoyed the first part of the manga... Liked a lot the Freezer saga, appreciated the Cell saga and still liked the Majin Buu final part...

When I saw the anime (A LOT of time after I read the manga...) I find it horrible... Is SLOW, slow to the ridicule... Ten episodes to tell less than 1\10 of a tankobon... (Italian size, very little...) New part to tell something that isn't necessary... (See the story of Birdak, Vegeta training or Goku "family life"...) And one of the worst translation/censuring (I saw on public channel...) of my entire life... Crilin translated as Crili and Piccolo translated as Junior should fit to describe...

Even so I liked DB...

Then cames DBGT and so I started to compare Toryama to Go Nagai... Looking at close eyes DBGT is a retell of the first series... The idiotic children (Goku/Goku) that travel with pretty girl (Bulma/Pan) that had a crush on a strong guy (Yamcha/Trunks) that does really less of what is capable... With a fight time to time with evil bosses (Red Ribbon/Evil Dragons) to get the seven Dragon Spheres...

At this time, yes I get annoyed...

Going back to the original point of the thread, I think Dragonball was victim of its own success. It laid down most of the genre conventions, and it was certianly very entertaining in it's own right. I really enjoyed the vegeta saga when I first saw it. Trouble was it went on far too long, and it became parody of itself. Like "last of the summer wine". So while we may dislike it on a personal level, we should respect what it acheived and remember it at its best, rather than what it became.

Ork_dreadnought said:
Going back to the original point of the thread, I think Dragonball was victim of its own success. It laid down most of the genre conventions, and it was certianly very entertaining in it's own right. I really enjoyed the vegeta saga when I first saw it. Trouble was it went on far too long, and it became parody of itself. Like "last of the summer wine". So while we may dislike it on a personal level, we should respect what it acheived and remember it at its best, rather than what it became.

Your right there, the series may have been over-shown or some of the saga's lasted to long, but in the whole, dragonball was a very good series and it does deserve respect for that

The Dragonball manga is decent up until the Saiyan Saga. I much Prefer early Dragonball. The thing with the anime is that it has loads of filler to let the manga get ahead like most animes which are shown while the manga is still being written. Also because the show was so popular Akira Toriyama kept it going longer then he had intended to. I belive he wanted to stop after the Frieza saga. Which is why it goes down hill after the frieza saga. With every saiya-jin being able to become super saiya-jin and there being even more levels to super saiya-jin. To me the Z portion of the show is not that good as it just becomes about being the strongest. Where as early Dragonball the fights were more skill orientated and fun to read.

DP said:
The Dragonball manga is decent up until the Saiyan Saga. I much Prefer early Dragonball. The thing with the anime is that it has loads of filler to let the manga get ahead like most animes which are shown while the manga is still being written. Also because the show was so popular Akira Toriyama kept it going longer then he had intended to. I belive he wanted to stop after the Frieza saga. Which is why it goes down hill after the frieza saga. With every saiya-jin being able to become super saiya-jin and there being even more levels to super saiya-jin. To me the Z portion of the show is not that good as it just becomes about being the strongest. Where as early Dragonball the fights were more skill orientated and fun to read.
He did it for the incesent fanboys. Who hounded him for more.

By the by GT is pure filler. So mainly it sucks. It has so many plotholes in 1 episode I cannot count.

Viz are decent @ translating yet edited quite a few gruesome bits. Like when 17# killed an old man with a gun (WTF!) or something along those lines.

I think that, despite the odd plot hole here and there, Dragonball GT was a very enjoyable series. The only qualms I have with it is that the art was god awful in some of the episodes and that the dubbing was recorded on a mono track (and this was only made in '97 :?). Other than that though, great.

Back