Dragonball adopted by Hollywood for live action movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeky

School Idol
Apologies if this has already been brought up elsewhere:

"Hollywood studio plans movie based on Japanese comic book series 'Dragonball'

HONG KONG (AP) -- Hollywood studio Twentieth Century Fox plans to make a movie version of the popular Japanese comic book series "Dragonball" - with help from a famed filmmaker from Hong Kong, where Japanese comics and animation are popular.

Fox said in a statement issued Wednesday in Hong Kong that local comedian Stephen Chow will produce the live action movie "Dragonball" and James Wong, a former writer for the TV series "The X-Files" and director of "Final Destination," will direct.

Chow's credits include "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle."

Fox said Justin Chatwin, who played the son of Tom Cruise's character in "War of the Worlds," will portray the lead character Goku and James Marsters is cast as Goku's main enemy, Piccolo.

Marsters played the vampire Spike on the TV series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

"Dragonball" revolves around Goku's quest to protect Earth from evil forces who want to take over the planet and control mystical objects known as "dragonballs."

Fox said the film, whose budget was not announced, will start shooting later this year and will be released worldwide on Aug. 15, 2008.

Fox is owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... lture.html

It was posted earlier, but not with this much new detail, I think they picked the right guy for Piccolo, but a little iffy on Goku myself seems the film itself may be the Saiyan saga then, wonder who may play Raditz. =O

If the old script rumours are right then its not going to be the sayian saga at all, more like an odd mish-mash of the final dragonball saga. However since that had goku attending high school then i'm kinda hoping they were just rumours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back