Dragon Quest

Shades

Hunter
I saw this in Neo and as I own Dragon warrior Battles 1 and 2 on the GB (Spin offs) I am very exited about getting this game, all I can say is that its about time, anyone else interested in this 8)

i've had the us version for a while, it was great but I never finished it, got other games and ended up forgetting about it.

The only gripe i have so far is the annoying amount of random battles.... for the love of god i wish most rpgs took grandias lead and let you the gamer choose your battles and let you get 6 steps with out another battle. Also why is Yangus a Mockney?? If i wanted to hear some mockney i would watch a sainsburys ad.

Bought this game in Gamestation for £25 on Sat. Such an addictive and fun game. I love the retro style RPG's and this is just like a 3d version.

I bought it from Tesco on saturday...I'm not sure why I bought it just yet, because I'm trying to finish FFX before I start a new game, but I suppose I'll start DQ next.

Reading old topics can be great! I haven't played this ("this" being Dragon Quest [aka Warrior] VIII: The Jouney Of The Cursed King) for a while (I was on the seqeunce where you find the ship stuck in the dry canyon and you must try and flood it).

After I complete Psychonauts I'm going to continue where I left-off. Thinking about the "world map" music alone makes me want to start exploring it again.

Luckily the storyline, though clichèd and charming, is simple so I won't have to start from scratch.

I love the music!

I noticed on Play.com you can buy the figures (not that I'm going to mind. Just thought I'd point it out).

Dragon quest 8 sucks. No good storyline made me bored of it. RPGs with crap storyline tend to make the game break down.

Better luck next time, DQ

keyblade_master uk said:
Dragon quest 8 sucks. No good storyline made me bored of it. RPGs with crap storyline tend to make the game break down.

Better luck next time, DQ

Then you completely miss the point of DQ. It isn't meant to have an emotionally involving FFX storyline. DQ was one of the first, if not the first, Japanese RPG series, and defined the entire genre. The game is meant to have a retro feel, something that it pulls off excellently.

And you saying a game sucks purely on a story basis makes me think you should buy less games and more movies and books.

I do agree with keyblade_master uk in only so far that the story of The Journey Of The Cursed King was treading on the most familar territory that the Japanese RPG genre has known to man, but as Espy correctly pointed out, that was the whole point.

I found Dragon Quest / Warrior VIII was, as Espy said, attempting to be a retro-styled game, but made with modern techniques and production values. That's why the storyline is as familar as they come, but as far as I'm concerned that isn't a critisicm. The game harks back to the early days of Japanese RPG's and I think it succeeds.

Its a brilliant adventure game that certainly doesn't feel pretentious. Its ironic that its story can be seen as a strength and a weakness.

In some ways the cast of characters sum it up for me. Sure, they're not original (not that they're meant to be), but they're charming. I think 'charming' is a good way to describe the game (in my opinion).

But hey, its not to everyones taste.

I live in NA, they've released FF III, Childern Of Mana(Or was it Mystical Starsign?), and some others.

But ya so much for Square's "Spread the Love" idea they had said they'd do this Gen.

I'm going to wait and see what Dragon Quest / Warrior IX turns out like on the DS before I make a judgement. If Level 5 are developing it I'm fairly confident it should be quite decent (not that the developer being Level 5 is a guarantee mind, but a strong indicator). :)

Back