Does anyone know what's up with the S & S releases today

Semajer

Brigade Leader
I ordered the Simon & Schuster Naruto and Bleach volumes that came out today from Waterstones and I recieved some American copies.

I then went to my local Waterstones and they had lots of American copies there as well, but flyers for the Simon & Schuster releases.

Does anyone know what's going on? Are Waterstones just selling American copies before they put out Simon & Schuster copies?

Also if anyone has a Simon & Schuster copy is it the glossy version or the smooth version, like the new Gollancz releases? Also is the Viz media logo still on the spine or has it been replaced with the Simon & Schuster logo?

If think they're just being the distributing Viz titles in a much similar way that Tokyopop UK does. I'm assuming that the UK £5.99 price will be added to later US editions as we catch up, but apart from that I don't think we'll be getting our own version like Tanoshimi and Titan are doing...

Isn't there? I may have to go and buy those other volumes then.

Also I sent an e-mail to Simonsays.co.uk asking about this so hopefully I'll get a reply tomorrow.

Jayme said:
The is technically no actual release date for manga volumes. They just tend to be sold as soon as as they get in stock.
S&S do have a set of release dates which are on their site, but yeah bookshops can import American books anyway so it's no big thing. UK-specific distribution should hopefully mean that there'll be a more plentiful stock of stuff as opposed to random odd volumes. :D

Bookshops generally don't pay attention to release dates unless they have a very very good reason to do so. The moment something arrives in stock they put it out, hence why we're seeing S & S releases before the release date. They were sent out early, so they were put out early.

Secondly, I'm sure that these are the S & S releases. Simon & Schuster are Viz's distributors in the US, all we're getting is a bunch of copies from them with price stickers on the back. Besides the Simon & Schuster website does list these volumes as being released under the Viz Media label - check the product details page for the relevent releases. Still, I am surprised that we're getting the October releases a month early.

Back