Do You Still Ocasionally Watch Really Old Anime?

What would you considor old?

I think it goes by the person and when they started watching Anime and what era of Anime they watched early on. I started with FMA 2003 in 2006/07 and alot of the Anime I watched early on was titles from the early 00's. So for me at least I consider 'older' anime to be anything not made this century and when I watch stuff from around the early 00's now I still feel I'm watching something new and somewhat recent.

Though even saying that occasionally depending on the stature of a series even titles from the 90's downwards don't feel that old since they have continued to prosper. For example the Ghibli films, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun etc. As a 80s/90s kid I grew up on Cel animation so the look doesn't inherently feel old.

So perhaps it's more the style of storytelling, the music and the character designs. With all those combined I can definitely get the feeling I'm watching something old. The decade be it 90's, 80's or 70's doesn't really matter I think it's more those 3 factors that make something old fashioned. For example Future Boy Conan doesn't feel old, it's basically a 10 hour Ghibli film so I like to think of it as retro rather than old. Speed Racer and Astroboy now those feel old haha.

I guess after trying to put down my thoughts I don't really have a clear opinion, I have enjoyed Anime from many decades and many shows have captivated me just as much as any modern show has done. So I suppose it's on a show by show basis, some things stand the test of time and still feel fresh and new and others haven't and instead feel old and outdated. It's the same as movies or music that way.

Last edited:
The oldest anime I own is the first Lupin the Third series, which dates back to 1972. Its held up nicely.

I've been watching Initial D: The First Stage the last couple of days and obviously, It's aged very badly compared to a lot of other 90's series due to the use of CGI in the races but I'm loving it. I really don't care when a series is made or how it looks, as long as it's either interesting or fun to watch.

I've been watching Initial D: The First Stage the last couple of days and obviously, It's aged very badly compared to a lot of other 90's series due to the use of CGI in the races but I'm loving it. I really don't care when a series is made or how it looks, as long as it's either interesting or fun to watch.
Yeah, I constantly found myself groaning at the CGI in early Inital D, just imagining how much better the races would have looked in 2D with a decent budget.

That's a series I need to get back to, don't think I even finished the First Stage. Still play the Best Selection album as driving music though...

Back