Do you shop at Tesco, Asda or Lidl? Opinions needed

Hello everyone

As a spin off from my supermarket challenge, I'm looking for people to give their opinions on the recent supermarket pricewars to go into a news feature article I'm writing. If you shop at:

Tesco
From Monday, Tesco will reduce the cost of 3,000 items in their stores by up to 50%. What I want to know is, over the next two/three weeks, do you think this is really making a difference to the cost of your weekly shop?

Asda
Asda is now selling basics such as bread, eggs and butter for only 50p. What I want to ask Asda customers is - do these changes go far enough?

Lidl
Many people have ditched their old supermarket to head here in favour of their lower prices. What I want to know is where did you shop before and why did you decide to switch? Is supermarket loyalty worth it?

These supermarket price wars are a move to get customers to switch their loyalty, but would this convince you to shop somewhere else? I would really like to know. Could you give me three/four sentences on the subject. If you could leave a comment below or drop me a PM, it would be appreciated.

M.G xx

We shop at Asda and it would take a huge amount of incentives to make us change as it's the only place within walking distance and our household has no car :)

We noticed our bills getting higher (though often buy completely random things so it's not an exact science) but now they're definitely promoting lower prices. When you enter the shop, our local one has a huge sign up, petrol station style, showing the costs of an average weekly shop at all the big chains - naturally theirs is shown as being lowest.

We like to buy a lot of obscure things from all over the world so a great big supermarket is easiest for us as long as we don't have a car. Fortunately at the moment for us we have no major responsibilities and the large mortgage increases lately haven't completely crippled us like some other people, so we can afford to keep buying our favourite brands and types of foods. If we had kids though or only one income I can see that it might be time to rethink this!

R

lidl offers products of the same quality, albeit from a foreign producer/packager, for a cheaper price. for small shops we use asdas or tescos for convenience. but for a big weekly shop its getting harder and harder to beat stores like lidl and aldi.

Tesco usually, though for a few bits we go to Netto (it's literally 30 seconds walk away).

Netto is small as hell though, so it kinda blows.

Sainsbury's. 5 minutes down the road.

It's not exactly the cheapest of the main supermarkets, but what it doesn't save on food, it saves on petrol.

tesco just downstairs
Saimsbury's about 20 minutes walk, but when I want something different
I could try Lidl if there was any within walking distance from my house and I avoid Asda as much as I can, as their mother company had not so ethical ways to cut costs. Check here at wiki, here at cnn and here at this random blog.
So basically, don't shop at Asda, as they belongs to Wal Mart and they will save you a few p's maybe even a few pounds, but at the cost of f****** up your community. Not a good trade off, believe me.... =(

ASDA at the moment as it is 2 minutes from my house so don't have to drive and also its where I get my fuel on the way to work.

I shop at ASDA more out of ease I'd much prefer shopping at tesco as with the amount I spend on food, drink and fuel I can make back alot of it in reward points every month. The strange thing is ASDA is one of the only supermarkets not involved in a reward scheme of some type but they do tend to cost a little less and as my local is a Walmart store has a much better selection of products than other supermarkets in my area.

Morrisons, but given the choice of those three, I'd pick ASDA. Tesco are assholes, and I know because I've worked for two of their suppliers. Also, their own brand products taste like ass.

Tesco as it is close, usually go on a Sunday but with the price of fuel I try to go on the way home from work when possible. Used to use Asda more when I worked near one, easier to drop in on the way home and did not need to make a special trip.

I think Lidl is tripe really...Aldi is much better. Cheap prices, much better laid out (from my experience) and better quality products.

Morrisons/Tesco is the main shop, but we also go to Asda once a week for a top-up.

I use Aldi and Lidl for special items that appear in there weekly super-sale bins. I've bought loads of bike stuff from them, like thermal clothing, locks and chains, and bike intercoms.

ASDA! Cheapest supermarket in my area. Tesco close 2nd but also no comparison. Quicksave used to be good but they never stock up. ¬_¬

Voddas said:
ASDA! Cheapest supermarket in my area. Tesco close 2nd but also no comparison. Quicksave used to be good but they never stock up. ¬_¬

Only good thing about tesco is that if you spend enough money you get 5p off every litre of fuel you buy which is an amazing offer for those of us with large engined cars

McIcy said:
Voddas said:

Only good thing about tesco is that if you spend enough money you get 5p off every litre of fuel you buy which is an amazing offer for those of us with large engined cars
Good point and valid however our Asda Garage is 3p less than our Tesco Garage anyway so there's only a 2p difference and I make that up on cheaper food. Obviously that sistuation won't be same same all over.

Back