Do I need to play Ace Attorney 1 before the rest of series?

Neferpitou

Stand User
Have now managed to get hold of Ace Attorney 2, 3 and 4. Ace Attorney 1 still eludes my grasp but I am slightly put off with the higher price it cost compared to the rest of the series.

Can play through the rest of series without it or do I simply need to get Ace Attorney 1 before playing the rest of the series?

What maxon said. It really sets things off for the series, as unlike Prof Layton, everything ties in in some way. Really do recommend you get it and play through it first. Keep in mind it is available on the Wii as well. Though you would need to download case 5 seperately(that does tie in later as well)

It's highly advised but there is a recap in 2 iirc. It's highly advisable to get it - in my opinion it still shines as far better than JFA, and it's maybe just a fraction better than T&T. You'd be missing out on a real gem.

As Arb said, you can get it on the Wii so that'd be an option for you? I'm sure I heard you could get it on like, iPod Touch/iPhone off of someone; that might be crap though.

Yes definitely you need to play the first, since it introduces many of the main characters and reocurring characters well ;)

I agree that the first game is hard to find, but Play-Asia is your best bet if you want the DS version, seeing as they usually have in stock at under £20 for brand new. Even though it's the Japanese version, it is dual language which means there is a full English translation option available, which is exactally the same as the English releases.

Well I actually played the 2nd, then 3rd, then 1st then 4th. I knew what happened at the start of the 1st game before hand though. IMO Its actually fine to start with the 2nd as long as you know if roughly, you dont miss much that you ant fill in the blanks for. But do play the 1st before you play the 4th. It should be done.

Enjoy them whatever because they are awesome!

It look like I need to keep searching for copy of Ace Attorney 1 at fair price then.

Thanks for the tip Rena Ryuugu for Jap version Ace Attorney 1 on playasia. While I would rather have English covers and manuals, the Jap version is always a possible option thanks.

Paying for downloads is not option for me. If I am going to buy piece of entertainment I would want a physical copy. So I always got the option to resell and don't have the fear of having to buy it again because of hardware malfunction.

Neferpitou said:
It look like I need to keep searching for copy of Ace Attorney 1 at fair price then.

Thanks for the tip Rena Ryuugu for Jap version Ace Attorney 1 on playasia. While I would rather have English covers and manuals, the Jap version is always a possible option thanks.

You're welcome Neferpitou :)

The only other thing I can suggest it to keep checking Game/Gamestation and pre owned games shops regulary, as long as you don't mind it being pre owned. I usually see a copy in there of the first game, now and again.

Neferpitou said:
If I am going to buy piece of entertainment I would want a physical copy. So I always got the option to resell and don't have the fear of having to buy it again because of hardware malfunction.

Considering it's creditted to your iTunes account or to your Wii, it's highly unlikely you'll not be able to retrieve it for free. On the contrary, you're far more likely to damage your physical copy, or lose it. I know where you're comin' from; I always go physical > digital, but y'know what, I've not had an issue with anything i've bought digitally, I have physically.

Discs not working, discs not being recognized etc. - it's not an issue digitally. Instant recognition and no shelf space used! (I mainly use Steam for digital downloads, but have bought off of the Wii Shop before).

Shirayuri said:
Neferpitou said:
If I am going to buy piece of entertainment I would want a physical copy. So I always got the option to resell and don't have the fear of having to buy it again because of hardware malfunction.

Considering it's creditted to your iTunes account or to your Wii, it's highly unlikely you'll not be able to retrieve it for free. On the contrary, you're far more likely to damage your physical copy, or lose it. I know where you're comin' from; I always go physical > digital, but y'know what, I've not had an issue with anything i've bought digitally, I have physically.

Discs not working, discs not being recognized etc. - it's not an issue digitally. Instant recognition and no shelf space used! (I mainly use Steam for digital downloads, but have bought off of the Wii Shop before).

But is Itunes, Steam or your the Wii with the downloaded games on (which are locked to that system only), are they guaranteed to still be around and working in 20 years time? My 20 year copy of Super Mario Brothers on NES still working perfectly to this day.

While I agree its very easy to damage disc based games even when you are being very carefully. But I have never found a cartridge game I could not get working after a bit of cleaning.

Having games installed and running solely of a computer is not always hiccup free. Had a game on PC called Sudeki which installed took 1.8G of hard space, so essential it was running solely on the computer. But it still stop working just moments before the end of the game for me.

I do think legal paid for Downloads are a good thing especially when it comes to the difficulty and cost of getting certain games. For example paying £6-7 pound for secret of mana and Super Mario RPG is good deal.

However giving the choice between the two I would happily pay quite a bit more to have something in my hand to trade and replay without those nagging uncertainties over a Downloads I have.

With majority of games physical copies available to buy anyway, theirs no urgent need for me to download any games. As I could do without them and play something else instead in their place.

Jaymii said:
Honestly, the tech will change so much in 20 years. It could get far more reliable.

Who knows, but I always found the older Tech game cartridges to be far more reliable than the later used CD format based games.

Finally was able to purchase Ace Attorney 1 at a fair price. Its bit annoying that it cost about the same for me to get that it did to get BOTH Ace Attorney 2 & 3, but nevermind.

Is the spin off: Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth worth getting?

Back