Desktop PC advice

sic vita est

Dandy Guy, in Space
So... my current desktop's about 4 years old, I'm running out of disk space and my monitor's knackered. What better excuse to upgrade?

Am looking at this PC from Chillblast. Will be using it for video encoding and transcoding, hopefully more graphics work, general shennanigans and maybe a little bit of gaming. Am out of touch with recent hardware developments, so any more educated opinions would be most appreciated (Overpriced? Better alternatives? PSU okay? Monitor any good?).

TL;DR:

Intel Core i5 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz
ATi Radeon 6870 1GB Graphics Card
8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
1000GB Hard Disk
500watt Xigmatek PSU
Windows 7 64bit
Iiyama Prolite E2427HD monitor

£960. Buy?

depends on how u are at installing ram

got this one for chaz, no monitor obviously

Processor: Intel Core i5 760 CPU
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
Harddrive: 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Case: Novatech ATX Gaming Case
Optical Drives: 22x DVD Writer
Graphics: ATI Radeon 5770 1024MB GDDR5 Graphics
Power Supply: Novatech PowerStation Gaming 500W Silent Modular PSU
Motherboard: Intel H55 Chipset Motherboard
Keyboard & Mouse: Novatech Wired Keyboard And mouse

the graphics card on that will easilly let u play the next couple of years on highest settings

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/r ... shpro.html

chaz paid round £600 for it but depends on the windows u want and any monitor

Forget not your cooling solutions.
Stock processor and graphics card fans gather dust — and hence unwanted decibels — at quite a rate.

I would opt for a lower performance specification if it was accompanied by durable and low-noise cooling products.

Ryo Chan said:
depends on how u are at installing ram
Ram? The test for that may as well be 'Can you insert a cartridge into a games console? Yes? Then you can install Ram' :p

Personally, I'm running a 2 and a half year old PC with a Core 2 and a Radeon 4850. Why am I bleating about this? Because PC gaming just seems to be standing still right now. It almost doesn't matter what you go with... Perhaps in six months time a bunch of games will hit requiring all that fancy stuff. It's just beyond what... Rage? I'm not sure there's anything that isn't being held back by the consoles right now.

Honestly, unless your PC really can't run modern titles (it took 6 years for me to swap PCs last time, and my PC is my primary gaming machine :p), I'd buy yourself a fancy new monitor, move all your space eating files to a nice external drive and hunker down for a bit longer.
Maxon said:
Don't bother with 64-bit Windows 7. 32-bit does the job just as well. However, get an Intel Core i7 for your CPU.
Completely disagree. Sure, the performance benefits aren't widely acknowledged, but:

1) There's virtually no saving for going with the 32-bit OEM (And if you're buying the retail upgrade or full version, you get both versions anyway)
2) The days of 64-bit incompatibility were virtually over about 3 years ago.
3) According to the Steam survey, 32-bit operating system users are now in the minority (And Win 7 64-bit is the most widely used OS out there.

i.e. Like it or not, this is a standard that has been set and if you want to future-proof your PC, you're better off going with the architecture that within the lifespan of your new machine, programmers are going to be making software for by default.

Back