Deathnote, how does the movie compare?

butch-cassidy

Straw Hat Pirate
I really didn't know where to put this as it relates to an Anime, Manga and Movie so I put it where it would get most attention ^^

I have been watching the Anime and reading the Manga of Deathnote and was wondering how it compared to the live action films? Is the story pretty much the same or have they played around it with it? How far does it go? Is it any good? Etc?

It's played around with quite a lot, it keeps the main characters and the main core of the story, but the latter half of the series is left out completely, and there are other things that are messed around with. It seems like it was made for TV but I'm sure that it did actually come out in cinemas there (correct me if I'm wrong).

There are two films in case you didn't know, they're both good though, you might as well watch them if you can obtain them. The main guy from the Battle Royale film (Shuuya Nanahara?) is Light in the film, the L character seemed really forced when I first saw it but he does portray it well.

*note the icon*

From what i know,what you need to know had already been said.I still have yet to see the anime or read the manga so im not a huge help really.

I rather love Kenichi Matsuyama as L though.The lad who plays Light annoys me slightly but i guess its down to personal preference.But yeah,if you can get a hold of them,may as well have a watch.

They guy who played L just wasn't believable. Fair enough, the character is pretty out there to begin with but if Tony Shalhoub can make Monk realistic then I don't see why somebody couldn't do the same for L. Like the rest of the movie he was cleaned up. In the anime you get the impression this guy doesnt care much about his appearance but in the movie he's always looking rather neat and fresh. I don't really think he nailed his mannerisms either, they seemed rather forced (and I thought that even before I saw the anime). That was the main probplem with the movie, it needed to be grittier and darker.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
They guy who played L just wasn't believable. Fair enough, the character is pretty out there to begin with but if Tony Shalhoub can make Monk realistic then I don't see why somebody couldn't do the same for L. Like the rest of the movie he was cleaned up. In the anime you get the impression this guy doesnt care much about his appearance but in the movie he's always looking rather neat and fresh. I don't really think he nailed his mannerisms either, they seemed rather forced (and I thought that even before I saw the anime). That was the main probplem with the movie, it needed to be grittier and darker.

I agree,and kind of hate myself for having the opinions i do of him because i think he's rather hot :oops:

Cleaned up - deffinately.

Though personally i don't think things annoyed me as i was treating it as a completely new and different thing.And i will continue to do so even after seeing the anime,as it's never going to be perfect.I'd love an amazing anime to movie transition.And honestly,im satisfied with this.

Like I said before. I saw the the first movie about a week before I started watching the anime and I still had the same opinions that I had when I watched it the first time, it only made me realise how much better it could have been done.

The subway scene for example.... those intercom things were bloody huge! They stuck out like a sore thumb as was the bugging equipment in the second movie.Also that FBI agents girlfriend running about bound in leather, what was that about? It looked goofy.

Some of the characters in the movie seemed more like cartoon characters than in the anime.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two movies are good. But i do dislike the first a fair bit. But you just need to actually know whats going on in the second one.

I like to think of them as one 3 hour epic to be honest. it would make much more sense.

I do agree with the L situation, besides the point but If they done the hair it would have been super cool.

I do love the last 15 minutes of DN: TLN, just brilliant.

I did enjoy the movies, but they remind me much more of Japanese live-action dramas rather than cinema movies. I think the changes they made to the story were needed and suited the format well. Still not too sure about the actors. Didn't think Kenichi Matsuyama pulled off L at all, certainly not as well as Kappei Yamaguchi, and Tatsuya Fujiwara doesn't look good enough or tall enough for Light (Light has always been shown to be the kind of guy girls could easily fall in love with), and doesn't really pull off Light's darker side.

Good movies, just not as good as the manga or the anime.

Thanks for the info guys. I am pleased to hear that there are changes. Although I am not fan of changes to a material normally but when I have already seen the same thing twice [Anime and Manga] and am pleased to know there will be something new to enjoy.

I'll make sure to tell you what I think when I get a hold of it. :D

Back