Death Note Competition

No-one else likes it on AUKN, apart from Ayase, for whatever reason. It's strange because everywhere else, the usual small 'hate mainstream group' aside (the guys who hate FFVII), it's loved. It even has an average of 8.88/10 from 61,000 votes on MAL. 'Tis odd.

It would be sad if the only person who actually likes it on AUKN and wants the set loses to eBay people, but that's life. I'll cry and move on.

Aion said:
It would be sad if the only person who actually likes it on AUKN and wants the set loses to eBay people, but that's life. I'll cry and move on.

All the more reason I should win. ^_^ Thanks for the support Aion. If I do win, I'll let you watch it with me. :)

Aion said:
No-one else likes it on AUKN, apart from Ayase, for whatever reason. It's strange because everywhere else, the usual small 'hate mainstream group' aside (the guys who hate FFVII), it's loved. It even has an average of 8.88/10 from 61,000 votes on MAL. 'Tis odd.

I really don't get why you think everybody here hates DN, when only one does and the other dislikes, but don't hate it.
Many people here bought the singles, so I find it hard to believe they would do that for a series they hated...
I haven't seen the anime just yet, I have vols 1 to 3 sitting on my cupboard waiting for me to complete it and watch it.

Mutsumi said:
Oh sorry I thought he was implying that you sell them rather than offering them as prizes. XD Mixed up you & Ryo's names. XD
=P

Fabio, Lupus, iisan and the people voting in this thread. Even Rui gave it an illogical 7/10 because she read the manga first.

I say 'hate' because a lot of people on here seem to rate it 5-6/10. In my eyes, those scores are troll bait because DN is too high quality overall to get scores like that. It does not compute.

Black Blood Brothers is 5/10; not Death Note. If a person can't tell the difference between those two, that person has a mental malfunction of some kind.

I did enter, if I win I'll keep it though, I did enjoy the first half after all. :)
I'll probably never rewatch the second half, though - it was just painful.

I'll let you know if I shuffle my scores around once I've seen BBB.

Aion said:
Could it be that we're the most jaded, biggest megalomaniacs on AUKN (and I'm just better at keeping it quiet)? And that other forums have a majority of posters with these characteristics rather than a minority (Americans)? That might explain why I avoid them, "'Tis better to reign in Hell" and all that...

We could try finding out with a "Why do you dislike Death Note? (please elaborate)" thread. I'd certainly be interested in hearing some more fleshed-out answers.

clearly the only reason DN got above 4 outta 10 was from this epic scene

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kaoy1QKxGQs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kaoy1QKxGQs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I already know the answers.

Fabio: He didn't like the overly dramatic music and crisp eating. Also had issues of some kind with how L and Light moved closer to each other; he felt there were too many jumps... or something. He'd just love the last 'half'.

Rui: She read the manga and liked. She rated the superior anime lower because she knew the story already. Logic.

Lupus: He's too cool to dig mainstream, bro. Like, he's older now and has advanced to the point where he can appreciate Ergo Proxy and hate on the shounen **** he liked before he matured.

iisan: Rated Jyu 2/10, Death Note 5/10(?)... despite him confessing to liking the first 25 episodes. Going on his rating scale, he'll be awarding a lot of 0's at some stage.

Everyone else: F*** knows. They probably hate it because animals aren't in it and it has no boobs.

Aion said:
Everyone else: F*** knows. They probably hate it because animals aren't in it and it has no boobs.

misamisa.jpg

Misa objects

I like Death Note, but I liked the manga more than the anime in general (the art was more impressive IMO) and well, the reasons in the previous thread contributed too. I haven't entered any of these contests though since I have already bought all of the "singles" for the series - which I think shows my enthusiasm even if I had moved on emotionally by the time the anime rolled around over here.

When the manga came out I was riveted. The anime adaptation may have been good but it wasn't good enough to suck me in again in the same way; the simpler designs didn't help either even though Aion disagrees that the visuals should affect my personal opinion. 7/10 is about right and doesn't mean it's bad on my scale by a long shot.

Controversially I liked the live action movies more than the anime. I saw those after the manga too but after a rocky start carried by the weak acting of the live action Light they did quite a few things differently to the source which got me interested again. The anime tightens things up but was overall quite faithful to the intent of the original; great if you haven't read the original several times but otherwise a little repetitive for a series mainly driven by its twists and turns.

It may be that for me suspense series just work better on paper, too. I have no real wish to see Monster either; another manga I love very much with a pretty faithful anime adaptation.

Anyway, good luck to those entering! It's a great prize to grab the whole series in one swoop like this.

R

I'm going to bedfordshire now, but in case anyone is a touch slow on the uptake...

Disclaimer: I'm only half serious. Really, I don't give a toss if I win a box set or not. And, in all honestly, what does it matter if everyone else in England dislikes DN? Only what I like matters. Peace.

Rui: In all honesty, I wasn't observant enough to see the difference you mention. The anime used manga panels where possible, using the same 'camera angles' and all, and the art seemed very consistent. Light was always in focus and he always had simple clothes - either a school uniform or a suit - so there wasn't any need to alter his design much.

When I read the manga, I see Death Note. When I watch the anime, I see Death Note. When I watch the live-action films, I see ****.

Even if the art is inferior, the stylish 'camera work' and colours made it look for more pleasing than B&W manga panels.

Aion said:
Even if the art is inferior, the stylish 'camera work' and colours made it look for more pleasing than B&W manga panels.

Mm, I think this is down to taste. Misa really came off the worst to me in the anime; Light was fine, and L was passable, but less important characters like Misa looked quite different in vibrant colour and the effect didn't please me (especially since she's mostly there to look cute). I'm a little fussier about character designs than is normal.

The music and the infamous crisp eating was great.

It's funny how our feelings on the issues with the live action movies are almost identical though - except I like them slightly more than you do on the whole.

R

I'm not clear on what I have to do in order to enter this competition. There's no question nor any explicit instructions, but I gather that entrants simply email their forum username, real name and address?

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm not clear on what I have to do in order to enter this competition. There's no question nor any explicit instructions, but I gather that entrants simply email their forum username, real name and address?
forum name only.
If you send me your real name and address, I'll stalk you :p

Will review the instructions later. other asked as well. Real name and address is only needed if you win.

I liked Death Note when I was a dumb 14 year old who jumped on any bandwagon possible, if TTGL came out then I would have put unellmay to shame. True story.

Also Death Note is a Naoki Urasawa manga for kids. Prove me wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, er... I'm going to be mildly controversial and say that I actually liked it.

I mean, I hated Light for all the stuff he did, but DN has one of the most kick-ass anime endings I have ever seen. It's not often that anyone cosplays a character that they hate, but that ending was so epic, that I had to do something as a tribute to Light.

Lupus said:
I liked Death Note when I was a dumb 14 year old who jumped on any bandwagon possible, if TTGL came out then I would have put unellmay to shame. True story.

Lupus: He's too cool to dig mainstream, bro. Like, he's older now and has advanced to the point where he can appreciate Ergo Proxy and hate on the shounen **** he liked before he matured.

I actually really enjoy One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Full Metal Alchemist (About as mainstream as mainsteam can get) and others, I'm also reading Toriko right now.

/raises up hands

I like Death Note if you care, Aion. It's just not top ten worthy for me. But it's true in my opinion on what Lupus has says. Death Note is basically Monster for Kids... and a poor imitation of that.

It's good at what it does, enough for me to purchase a Boxset.

Back