Danime's Low-down of the London Expo... Believe it!

melonpan

Death Scythe
Well, where to start? hmmm

First of all i have to say the overall enjoyability of it was more than any of the previous ones. It was bigger, and better in my opinion... however it was lacking in things on the main stage to do with anime i think...

All the anime distributors' stands were kind of the same, but i must say Tokyo Toys' stand was far better, and i got a massive bag of Japanese sweets! wooo

Right, onto the news...

First of all, on the back of Beez's catalogue, they have some titles as coming soon, which were: Gundam Seed Destiny, IPGX and Fantastic Children. Also i noticed inside, on the Crest of the Stars section, they had a picture of a rather large artbox :O. So i guess that means there is going to be an artbox for it! wooo! But on a downer... I asked the french guy lol if there was going to be a Wolf's Rain artbox, and he said no, so booo, and there is no mention of a .hack//LOTB artbox, which i had the incling that there was going to be one... So all in all it looks like artboxes are a no... which is the opposite of what Beez were going to do last LE, but they seem to have lots of new titles. Oh and mentioning new titles, in the catalogue there was also a very sexy looking Panda-Z thing, that comes with a figurine! and Eureka Seven is in there too! Also it looks like there's going to be a long wait for Mai-HiME because volume 6 comes out on March 2007 o_O Anyway all in all i suppose this is good ^^.

Next i'll move onto ADV... same old same old for them i would say... something interesting though is that they had some of their R1 titles and artboxes on the side... not mainstream ones or anything, but they were there (only about 3 of them though), i don't know what they were in aid of because they looked a bit out of place... all i can guess is that they were a test to see if people buy them... although they should have used more mainstream titles i would say. I also asked one of the people selling stuff there about artboxes... and he said that there is virtually no chance of getting them here because it is hard enough to even get a series here... boo.

Ah yes! Onto Naruto, and a very big WTF has to be said here, but also a YAY!

So... the bad thing >.> The dub is absolute shite... Naruto is played by a fat old woman, sorry if this offends anyone, but come on! (oh and she seems to think that they haven't done a bad job, and it's so terribly brilliant they left the -jutsu on techniques... and she made a joke about dattebayo... all in all quite funny : D) We were shown the first episode and it was just wtf all the way through... there was absolutely NO effect on me like it did watching it Japanese w/ subs style (even watching the fansub quality is bad video wise)... ALL the character's dubs are boring and have obviously had no effort put into them... didn't get to hear Sasuke's... i think that's a good thing though... Iruka is one of the main characters in the first ep and his actor is terrible... when he gets the big thing stuck in his back... surely you would show some emotion. Some other things as well... they have kind of weirded up the Opening/ending... they seem to have taken all the 'specially animated' parts of the openings... you know the bits where it's all fluid and looks very real... from the first few openings... squeezed it all together into a big lump of fat american poo... Oh and there are no lyrics what-so-ever...
They have also removed all blood (except whenIruka gets the thing stuck in his leg), even when Naruto does his 'sexy technique' as the american dub says. And when thingee blushes when Naruto is asked to do the technique in the classroom... they even took the red bit off her cheeks! WTF... Well rant over, but i must say yet again the americans have mucked something up... and all the poor poor children who haven't experienced it the way it's meant to be, will be brainwashed all over again...

On the VERY good side of things : D... (oh and i saw the man from Manga Ent, Jerome someone laughing at the dub LOL). Anyway, he said that Manga have acquired the first 52 eps of Naruto, UNCUT!, and will do them in 13 ep box sets... having the first one in time for Christmas... it will have the english and american dub too. Oh god thinking how they ruined it for the cut version brings a tear to my eye :'(.

What else is there to report on? Not much else i don't think! That concludes Danime's sepcial London Expo report... and btw, no one knew i was there and who i was : D! yay for secrecy!

So who else was there?

BTW! i'll post anything extra if i remember it... oh and before i forget... i have now been transformed into a cosplay loving person, aww. This is because i saw some ridiculously good ones that looked really good... of course the people doing them were Japanese so it had to be ^^. Anyway, bye!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Jetix only have acquired the first 26 eps of Naruto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report Danime, though I can't help but feel you're being a little harsh on the Naruto dub :)

The Naruto dub is ok, you get used to it after a while, but Naruto's dub voice does indeed suck. ;[

Wait, so there's going to be TWO dubs of Naruto? One Viz and one Manga?

Awesome.

DaNiMé said:
First of all, on the back of Beez's catalogue, they have some titles as coming soon, which were: Gundam Seed Destiny
Last I heard, Beez were planning on rolling out Destiny in September in France. Were the any specifics on the catalogue for the UK release?

Paul said:
Thanks for the report Danime, though I can't help but feel you're being a little harsh on the Naruto dub :)

If anything I say he's being lenient.

Seriously - it makes your ears bleed (and not in a good way)

The Expo was much better this year, with an awful lot more cosplay – and they put the dance machine way out of the way (in the corner in fact) so I was very pleased.

In the way of DVD sellers: it was good to see United Publications there, they had some good region 1 DVD’s including the series box for His and Her Circumstances. Out of all the distributors though, I was most impressed with Manga who were selling all their stuff at realistic prices (I picked up the GITS Stand 1st Gig Complete Series Boxset for £25) and most of their movies, like Millennium Actress Perfect Blue were priced at around £10 – which is a bargain by Expo prices. MVM were the best company there in terms of tie-ins, and ironically, most of the mugs, plushies and CD’s they were selling were for series they didn’t hold the licenses to ^__^ Beez had the least to offer, only really useful if you’d been wanting to fill a few gaps in your Cowboy Bebop, Gundam or Wolf’s Rain collection, and their stall looked sparse and uninviting too… but their staff were in good cosplay! All “newâ€

Lerion said:
If anything I say he's being lenient.

Seriously - it makes your ears bleed (and not in a good way)
I agree with Paul, i think you are being a little harsh, it's certainly not that bad, and certainly not the worst i've heard. I ranted for ages about it on first hearing, and i still do rant alot when new charaters enter (and still at how Sasuke's voice is completely unsexy), but you get used to it, and i do think it gets better as it goes along (or maybe you just get more used to it, lol).

Plus i have to say, i don't much fancy meeting any voice actors, the ones that do the sexy bishie voices are never sexy bishies, and i just prefer to keep the characters as the characters :wink:

kupoartist said:
DaNiMé said:
First of all, on the back of Beez's catalogue, they have some titles as coming soon, which were: Gundam Seed Destiny
Last I heard, Beez were planning on rolling out Destiny in September in France. Were the any specifics on the catalogue for the UK release?

Nope it just said 'coming soon'.

In response to some of the comments made about me being too harsh on the american dub... i have a question... have you actually heard the dub yourselves?
And to add a little something... it's not really just the dub that i was going so mad over, because i admit i was a little over the top on it... but it was certainly cheap and uninspired for such a big series that will be seen by son many people... there is no way i will ever get used to it and i'm not going to ever get used to it... it has no effect on me what so ever. If i saw the Hokage's Death in this dub, i would think it was more like a wedding... watching it on fansub actually made me really upset, but seeing it in the dub wouldn't effect me.
Kind of got a little carried away there, but i mean that i wasn't just ranting about the dub... it was all the cuts and changes to it... it just makes it seem.. well.. american >.> and Naruto is definately NOT anywhere near an american culture or has anything to do with it in any way what-so-ever... all the dub is doing is to make it so a younger audience can watch it, and ultimately getting the companies more revenue at the end of it... It's just cheap and dirty lol. Dirty dirty dirty... i feel so unclean *cry*

Sorry to triple post, but i don't want to make these things as one post...

Was there any news or is there anyone who went to the LE today who can write up what was said at the Anime/Manga industry panel... because for some strange reason they scheduled it for today, and i know that last years one was very interesting... and i'm hoping there was some information on artboxes, because there was a question about that last year... even though from what i asked to the people behind the stalls, there seems to be little hope -.-

Thanks in advance for any info.

DaNiMé said:
If i saw the Hokage's Death in this dub, i would think it was more like a wedding... watching it on fansub actually made me really upset, but seeing it in the dub wouldn't effect me.
Not to be an ass but, how would you even know, I mean since they haven't got that far yet. Though when Haku and Zabuza died it was laughable all the VA of Naruto did was shout loudly while in the original the seiyú cried which is a great effect.

[/End crap rant]

Not too off-topic now. Let's take it to PM to continue any further.

it will have the english and american dub too

was this a typo or will it have 2 english speaking dubs on it?

if so i hope it will be better than the american dub that what was on the free DVD.

Gonna keep it short…..

I was slightly disappointed, it being my first time and having read so much about events across the globe may have spoilt the experience, but I thought the use of space was terrible. For example, the entrance had 2 360’s set up; walk down a little further, there was another batch of 360’s. In the middle was a couple of DS’s and in a corner was the new DBZ game. Why weren’t all the games put in one area?

I also got the feeling that 2 different shows were running at the same time, one sci-fi and another anime, and where were the anime guests?

Having said that, I think it was the people who attended that saved it for met, congratulation to all those who made an effort with their costumes, they were awesome.

Another personal highlight for me was meeting with the designer behind Terretag (also designed the ‘Laughing Man’ & ‘Individual 11 logos for GITS SAC) which was cool.

Next year’s Anime expo should be better though.

HiroYui said:
I also got the feeling that 2 different shows were running at the same time, one sci-fi and another anime, and where were the anime guests?

well it is a con for sci and anime so it would feel like that.

it started out as just a sci-fi to begin with the anime part of it only start last year.

BabyDaddy said:
DaNiMé said:
If i saw the Hokage's Death in this dub, i would think it was more like a wedding... watching it on fansub actually made me really upset, but seeing it in the dub wouldn't effect me.
Not to be an ass but, how would you even know, I mean since they haven't got that far yet. Though when Haku and Zabuza died it was laughable all the VA of Naruto did was shout loudly while in the original the seiyú cried which is a great effect.

[/End crap rant]

Not too off-topic now. Let's take it to PM to continue any further.

No need to continue anything in a PM, just my final word on it though. The first ep of something usually gives people their opinions on what something is going to be like. Therefore... if there is a crap dub for the first and most important to most people episode, then it's going to not get much better... you even said youself on the Zabuza arc that it was still crap, and that's 20+ eps in >.> You kind of answered your own question and gave evidence to support the fact that the dub is crap LOL.

Anyway, as a side note, i was wondering how everyone has seen so much of this dub already... do you all secretly live in America and/or have US Cartoon Network? If the answer is fansubs then i really don't understand how anyone would want to make a dub fansub for it, and as far as i know there isn't one in existence... Or could it be that you all have done an evil and unforgivable thing and bought the cut dvd's :eek:! shock horror!

Ryo Chan said:
sorry to be rude here but......... Are You Guys Retarded?

sorry someone point me in the direction of seeing how that isn't rude :)

There is no such direction. But it's more offensive than rude; and without making some pretentious anti-shoujo comment, I can't see what being retarded has to do with Naruto anyway.

Back