UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Comment Removed by User said:
It’s not them being actively malicious. It’s just the UK market being an afterthought for any release that mirrors a Funi US release. They just ship over the materials from the US CE print run for a handful of UK copies and shove the UK standard edition inside. Then they can say they did it. We don’t need any CE exclusive artwork on the release; that would require printing more than just the standard edition covers, and they just don’t care.

Hero is Overpowered CE has soundtrack CDs in the bluray keepcase. The standard edition doesn’t. The cover for both is identical down to the standard edition product code, not mentioning the soundtrack CDs at all, the cover is just shoved in a case with more disc trays. Anything to do the bare minimum.

At least UK specific CEs seem to have slightly better print runs, because the UK team have to design and actually order the product, it’s not just “leftover” US components. But the discs are susceptible to being whatever ancient blurays Madman (owned by Sony) have lying around because they’re bought and paid for. Those K-On! Discs that couldn’t be used a decade ago because they were incompatible with UK players? Abra-ca-*******-dabra, they now work, because Sentai’s new discs would cost money and those discs were already on hand at Madman.

I hate Funimation.

Last edited by a moderator:
never-ascribe-to-malice-that-which-is-adequately-explained-by-incompetence-3dvfbpci1jqhs6kucj76kg.jpg

I'm aware they've been hit hard by supply chain issues, everyone has. You'll notice I'm not holding delays to current products against them, that's out of their hand. The UK team are all lovely people, and I genuinely feel bad for them having to work for their (relatively) new corporate overlords. They are all clearly passionate, it just doesn't get to show in a meaningful way now that Funimation daddy makes all the decisions. If it's a Funi title in the US, the UK team may as well not exist. If it's a title Funi don't have US rights for, we're lucky the UK team are given that tiny bit of freedom to repackage old assets from Madman in a shiny new box. I'm gonna keep buying their releases because I want to own the titles and it is usually cheaper than importing currently, but I just don't see Funimation "recovering" from something that isn't actually an issue for the US team calling the shots.

Your comments were certainly not in any way out of line and I apologise if I've made you feel unwelcome, I'm just not quite as forgiving as you when I'm so fed up of Manga/Animatsu/FuniUK after years and years of chances.

I don't think people blame the UK team. They can only do what they can do, and I'm sure they get their hands bound with a lot of stuff. That's unfortunately how it is with branches of major companies.

With how similar the US and UK releases are, I'm sure a lot of the decisions on many parts of a release are decided from the US side, and since the UK is a smaller market, the UK team likely can't arrange things as easily to target sections or change things up when they weren't affiliated.

Don't feel afraid anyway to mention your own thoughts. Everyone has their topics they will fight to the death against the moment you bring it up. That happens in many of the threats here.

MHA S4P2 CE was dispatched for me from AoL today too, i emailed them yesterday as i noticed it wasn't on their site anymore and the release date was next week, this was their response:
Stock on this was limited to begin with and allocated, hence no longer on the site. But stock arrived late yesterday so this will be shipping today.

Regards

www.anime-on-line.com
Like Bofuri it seems this will be a very limited CE too, expect the same with Plunderer and Fruits Basket S2P2

MHA S4P2 CE was dispatched for me from AoL today too, i emailed them yesterday as i noticed it wasn't on their site anymore and the release date was next week, this was their response:

Like Bofuri it seems this will be a very limited CE too, expect the same with Plunderer and Fruits Basket S2P2
Expect the same with any CE sourced from components used for the US CE.

tried watching Shin Godzilla tonight after owning it for a while and had to turn it off after 25 minutes, the subtitle delay on spoken dialogue when onscreen text was being subbed got annoying, thought the english version disc was the movie but with the english text like in the funi US version but nope? it's just the dub? did this movie have a disc replacement thing for this problem or is it just manga being manga like usual?

Back