UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Since Funimation UK/Manga UK has licensed and/or released Clannad, K-On, Lucky Star, Haruhi Suzumiya and Hyouka, is there a chance for them to license Free! seasons 1-3?

Haruhi and Tokyo Ravens ❤❤
That means potential UK home video release of Haruhi and maybe Tokyo Ravens in late 2021 or 2022.

The latter I fear is unlikely. As much as I enjoyed it, it isn't a popular or well known series like Haruhi is. The former has brand recognition at a worst case.
It's why I imported Tokyo Ravens back when I had the chance from the US. Wanted the series and the limited edition of it since I enjoyed it a ton.

Is "Black Butler" season 1 getting a UK Blu-ray release soon?
Just seen a few US releases popping up recently and wondering if I missed something. (I'm assuming it's funimation that would be bring it over rather than MVM, but could be wrong)

Is "Black Butler" season 1 getting a UK Blu-ray release soon?
Just seen a few US releases popping up recently and wondering if I missed something. (I'm assuming it's funimation that would be bring it over rather than MVM, but could be wrong)
Unlikely, last I heard about season 1, was Aniplex have it, Funi had to give it back and Aniplex have released it (at Aniplex price) Can't see Aniplex wanting a UK BD released but I'm no expert.

Yeah I think so as well since they released Season 3. I liked the first season of Black Butler too, I know it had an anime original ending but it was an appropriate ending I thought. Then Season 2 ruined everything.

Yeah I think so as well since they released Season 3. I liked the first season of Black Butler too, I know it had an anime original ending but it was an appropriate ending I thought. Then Season 2 ruined everything.
I think Black Butler S3 was one of those series that reverted back to Funimation when the partnership ended. Not too sure on what Funimation still has but given Aniplex and Funi are both under Sony I would think there's a higher chance of Funi UK releasing it instead of AL.

Last edited:
That's why I never even bothered to watch season 2. And considering season 3 basically ignores its existence, along with the anime original stuff of season 1, I never needed to watch it either.

That's why I never even bothered to watch season 2. And considering season 3 basically ignores its existence, along with the anime original stuff of season 1, I never needed to watch it either.
Yeah Season 2 is best ignored. Season 3 is actually pretty good, I do recomend that. It takes place like halfway through Season 1 as an extra story so nothing get's overwritten either.

Cheers for the info on black butler, just checking before I got tempted to buy a US version and then a UK one was right around the corner.
To be honest even if a UK Blu-ray release manages to happen one day, it'll probably re-use the old Funimation Blu-rays. If you're a big fan of Black Butler, it's probably worth going for Aniplex's release since they tend to be a slight improvement when it comes to their re-release types* (the show is an upscale I believe so I don't know if Funi did their own or was handed the materials by Aniplex Japan).

Since someone mentioned Book of Circus, Funimation don't have UK rights to that so it wouldn't transfer over to them either way.

*Both Anohana and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood had improvements over their previous US BDs to my recollection.

I remember watching season 3 and it was enjoyable. Never did see movie that followed though. Don't think it ever got a UK release.
Me either. Probably for the best that it ends though as they have basically shot themselves in the foot by creating an original ending in the first place. As enjoyable as it was.

December line-up revealed:

29th November:
  • Assassination Classroom: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
  • One Piece: Collection 24 (DVD)
6th December:
  • AKIRA (Standard 4K Ultra HD)
  • Code Geass: Akito the Exiled (Limited Edition Blu-ray)
  • Code Geass: Akito the Exiled (Standard Blu-ray)
  • Fire Force Season 1 (Blu-ray)
  • Yu Yu Hakusho Season 3 (Blu-ray)
13th December:
  • Death Parade (Limited Edition Blu-ray)
  • Death Parade (Standard Blu-ray)
  • Nichijou: My Ordinary Life (Limited Edition Blu-ray)
  • Nichijou: My Ordinary Life (Standard Blu-ray)
  • Robotech: The Masters Saga (Blu-ray)
20th December:
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 1 (Blu-ray)
27th December:
  • Akudama Drive (Blu-ray) [No LE planned]

I'll definitely be getting the Nichijou Limited Edition! It's probably the show I want to see get a UK release the most, and it's great it's getting a Limited Edition too!

Back