UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I don't think we have had any update on the leaked complete Haruhi Suzumiya blu-ray detailed last year, have we?

We have had other leaks like K-ON! on blu-ray released but not for my favourite anime of all time. 😩

I'm hoping it will be in Autumn or Winter of this year, as they missed their chance to announce anything around the 15th anniversary of the anime.

Last year's leak - Listings Leaked for Kyoto Animation Shows Coming to Blu-ray in the UK in 2021 • Anime UK News

EDIT Just saw that Funimation are re-releasing S1 and 2 on blu-ray in the USA but no Disappearance included which the leak was showing above.

Secondly, why has there always been such a problem getting any Dragon Ball related series over here for streaming? I heard that for years that in Europe there was something involving AB Groupe but they haven't even been in any streaming of any of the series so why are they holding on the rights (if they are?).

The regular blu-ray for Dragon Ball Super here in the UK is no longer at places like Amazon or Zavvi, and you have to pay either £20-30 more from an Ebayer or buy an enhanced price Collectors Edition.

I'm just so tired of us being in the dark with Dragon Ball and streaming here in Europe. :confused:

Last edited:
I don't think we have had any update on the leaked complete Haruhi Suzumiya blu-ray detailed last year, have we?

We have had other leaks like K-ON! on blu-ray released but not for my favourite anime of all time. 😩

I'm hoping it will be in Autumn or Winter of this year, as they missed their chance to announce anything around the 15th anniversary of the anime.

Last year's leak - Listings Leaked for Kyoto Animation Shows Coming to Blu-ray in the UK in 2021 • Anime UK News

EDIT Just saw that Funimation are re-releasing S1 and 2 on blu-ray in the USA but no Disappearance included which the leak was showing above.

Secondly, why has there always been such a problem getting any Dragon Ball related series over here for streaming? I heard that for years that in Europe there was something involving AB Groupe but they haven't even been in any streaming of any of the series so why are they holding on the rights (if they are?).

The regular blu-ray for Dragon Ball Super here in the UK is no longer at places like Amazon or Zavvi, and you have to pay either £20-30 more from an Ebayer or buy an enhanced price Collectors Edition.

I'm just so tired of us being in the dark with Dragon Ball and streaming here in Europe. :confused:
I can relate.

Even if we get Haruhi we might just get the upcoming essential version which is missing a decent chunk of extra features.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for a Raildex release for Season 1 and 2 under Funi as BD only, as well releasing Index III, Accelerator and Railgun T.
I want to get rid of Animatsu versions of them especially Index II and Railgun A with that ugly tall combo pack.

I can relate.

Even if we get Haruhi we might just get the upcoming essential version which is missing a decent chunk of extra features.
That might be what we get, yeah.

I just find it odd that the leak from last year would also include Disappearance.

I had to get an Australian copy of Disappearance due to blu-ray stock issues here in the UK so can not use the accompanying DVD extras disc, so it would be nice to all S1, S2 and the movie in one little package.

I also have the complete S1 by Beez Entertaiment which I'm pretty chuffed about for the time being, but would sell that if a complete blu-ray was released.

Too bad show the didn't do well when it came to sales.

Almost like they put a middle finger up to 2,429 people that were following their project, what for an already pretty niche series was maby not the best idea. Hopefully everyone watched it on Netflix and bad reviews made the physical sales flop

LeSean Thomas just throws his fans under the bus, then spends 5 years running over them, pretending to pick them up every few years but inevitably moving onto the next best project when he gets bored and hope people will forget.

I dont like to keep posting about how s***y LeSean Thomas is, but he keeps doing deals with companies like Manga UK and Animegami while not giving two cares for anything else

/Not salty

It's Toei in general. Their European arm is a joke.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for a Raildex release for Season 1 and 2 under Funi as BD only, as well releasing Index III, Accelerator and Railgun T.
I want to get rid of Animatsu versions of them especially Index II and Railgun A with that ugly tall combo pack.
Those horrible season 2 releases have Manga branding, rather than the Animatsu branding on the season 1 amaray sets with the decent amaray box.

Hasn't it been mentioned on here before that Manga-now-Funi stated they don't intend on releasing the 3rd seasons of those 2 (and presumably accelerator) over here?

I kinda suspect that they don't feel like they can justify part sets for those as the previous releases were single complete sets, but don't want to do complete sets of shows with 24 or 26 episodes, less money in it for them, feels like Food Wars fell victim to the same.

But yeah, I'd probably replace the season 2 sets as well if they were re-released in amarays without the dvds.

It's Toei in general. Their European arm is a joke.
So I had a Google and it seems their European branch is very bare bones.

• 2 Facebook posts - last posted in December 2020.
  • A Twitter account with no posts from what I could see.
  • A Linkedin page - seems they are going to certain shows so maybe they are trying to gauge interest for their franchies.
  • Their website is still under construction.
I sent them a query about DBS streaming just now to their Facebook page, but also their Marketing email also, plus I emailed Toei on their Japanse website too (for what that is worth as they have the option to put your country).

So often you get a complete non-answer, so I've asked if they could explicitely not do that and disrespect us.

Despite the slow start in their European branch, it is a small glimmer of hope and a start at least.

While I'd love for it to come over, I'm probably going to just import it as it's been out for some time (Index) and hasn't shown any signs of being brought over.

So often you get a complete non-answer, so I've asked if they could explicitely not do that and disrespect us.
While your intentions are good I don't think it's as basic an issue as respect. The industry can be really strict on information like this. If they don't give you the answer you're looking for then I doubt it's anything malicious. Just that they're not allowed to talk about it. It's frustrating for sure but it's best to be more understanding on these issues

While your intentions are good I don't think it's as basic an issue as respect. The industry can be really strict on information like this. If they don't give you the answer you're looking for then I doubt it's anything malicious. Just that they're not allowed to talk about it. It's frustrating for sure but it's best to be more understanding on these issues
Fair point.

It is just frustrating that we are left in the dark for so many years without as much as a hint of what is wrong.

Toei made insane amounts of money with the TV broadcast rights of several series in Europe - and sold millions of DVDs.
I guess that Toei still fears that any streaming option would decrease possible TV revenues - not realising, that several titles won't be picked up by any TV station and others might generate more money on streaming than any TV station would be willing to pay.

Sadly, Precure wouldn't make much money either way :(

Shocking email update!

Funimation has no update regarding the complete Dragon Ball Super collection restock on Blu-ray and didn't bother replying at all about my second query within the same email about Dragon Ball related streaming in the UK! 😄

How likely is it for Funimation/Manga UK to license and release Free! seasons 1-3? Anime Limited only released the second season (Free! Eternal Summer) and their release is out of print.

Seems there are copies of Akira 4K in the wild with the corrected disc.

Copies with the corrected disc have a black sticker that says ‘Includes Ultra HD Blu-ray’ on the front of the box.

Back